New F-150, Silverado, or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're all pretty decent these days. I just made a list of must have features and bought the one that I could get the best deal on that met those requirements. In my area GMC just happened to be making the best deals at the time (even more so than the Chevrolet dealer).

I think you will have to determine what the most important factors are for you, and how you use it. Is it a daily driver, do you haul cargo, is the cargo heavy, do you tow? Safety concerns? 2 or 4WD?

The RAM is the best daily driver, and feels luxurious when you drive it. It's also the least reliable, being a Chrysler. Best infotainment system.
The Toyota Tundra is the most reliable , but is inferior in ride quality and doesn't offer many configuration options. Choose if you want longevity. We've bought several over the years, and they just don't break.
The F150 drives very well (though not as well as the RAM), gets the best mileage (w 2.7) , and has the most options. Close 2nd in infotainment. More reliable than RAM, less than Toyota. I like the lower weight which translates into higher mileage and better towing, and the option of regular or turbo engines. Ford DI engines don't suffer from intake valve build up, a plus for the turbos.
The Silverado is much improved over the last version.Our family buys these for work trucks, which you can still get for around 30K. Mileage is pretty good with the 6.

Transmission go on all of them (well, except the Toyota) , which used to cost about $3K to repair and is probably 5-6K with the 8+ speeds.

Prices tend to get pretty crazy once you start optioning them, so think really carefully about what you actually need. Before you know it , you can be at $50 or $60K for even a middle of the road truck.

Last edited:
Ram but I am biased. I really like their switchgear, ergonomics, chassis and drivetrain. Overall great experience with the old 2011 1500 and really love the new 3500. Just that the paint on the newer Rams is quite thin and easy to chip (same as the Fords).

I have no experience with the new GM trucks but a few friends had them. One 2014 1500 had the 6 speed transmission pump die but overall a solid truck. Another friend went from a 2012 Ram 1500 to a 2016 GM 1500, 6.2. Was a great, spritely truck but did not like the clunky shifts of their 8 speed. He is now on a 2017 Ram 1500 and loves it. Yes the GM engines are a bit more refined than the Hemi but that is a solid engine and easy to maintain. Better shifting transmission as well.

I really do not like the Fords. About 100,000km on a 2013 F150, 5.0l and coming up to 100,000km on a 2016 F150, 5.0l. I preferred the 2013. Poor ergonomics, switchgear, layout and using the plethora of tiny buttons to go through 20 steps to do a basic task on the DIC. I hate the safety feature on the power windows and have cracked one window from hitting it in anger so many times. It is safer to text, eat a sandwhich and have a nap while driving than to try and the windows up while moving. Out of 5 F150's, we have had 2 rear ends grenade (axle tube came out the diff, rear bearing disintegrated), 2 had the vacuum IWE's leak and grind to a pulp early on, 2 have had constant cam phaser issues that cause stalling, low power and poor fuel economy. Had an engine and transmission die in one of the 2013's.

Handling wise, the newer F150's are not great. I have never had a leaf sprung vehicle dance you off the road when going over washboards like a Ford. I will give the ford credit though as when they work, they are capable off road with the E locker and a good set of tires.

I am not a fan of the aluminum body panels either. Sure they don't rust but a minor collision and they peel like a pop can. A friend has a 2019 F350 and is very unimpressed at the quality, which he finds out daily as he uses his truck for rough farm work.

Caveat, these are work trucks and do get used as a real truck and see lots of gravel and off road. But this use really brings out the issues due to fleet use.

no rusty rams for long time owners + GM uses the most cheap non usa parts of any, so i guess its ford, BUT might want to look at + drive the nissans, i love my frontier a bigger mid size + value wise nothing to compare. until they change they are simple port injection, no carbon issues ever + overall less trinkets + gizmos aka junk to malfunction. prolly the lowest tech of all of todays offerings until it gets changed. pickup prices are nuts IMO unless you can do without 4WD which saves initial cost + future upkeep while giving more mpg's, drive them all + haggle as the big discounts seen are because they are so OVERPRICED!! preowned as i bought are not given away but can save a few thou easily + don't be afraid to leave your are for a better deal as dealers MUST service + warranty them no matter where you buy, good luck

You have to drive them all and decide some may be more reliable .I like Fords and Toyotas. The Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed trannys are nice drivers

You have to drive them all and decide some may be more reliable .I like Fords and Toyotas. The Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed trannys are nice drivers

If I were you based on how you say you are going to use it I would get a F150 2.7 2WD. Next choice would be between a Nissan and the Ram. I am not a fan of the Silverado and GMC styling but I am sure they are good trucks as well.

I will preface by saying I work for a rental car company so I have experience driving all three vehicles including the new and old ram. 3rd on the list is the chevy. I don't like the interior. 2nd would be the Ford. The new 10 speed is really nice and the trucks are fast with any motor but the new 3.3 6 cyl. I like the interior of the Ford alot better than the Chevy. The ram is definitely the nicest interior and with the new 2019 update you can really feel the quality upgrade over the previous generation. All three ride real nice with the chevy being first, ram second and Ford 3rd but they are all very close in ride quality. I would be torn between the Ford or ram. I guess it depends on the deal you can get.

Tons of great responses! Thank you all. My thoughts in no order:

Ford F-150 Likes -- popular, lightweight, efficient, stylish.
Dislikes -- Very pricey, small engines, ride not the best.

Ram Likes -- best ride in the bunch, stylish, innovative.
Dislikes -- quality/reliability suspect, lower MPG, possible higher oil consumption.

Silverado Likes -- Rock solid power train, value / lower pricing,
Dislikes -- poor fit and trim, cheap interior, ride not the best.

Three good candidates, but some trade offs with each. Thats how I see it, at the moment.

I own a 2018 F150 Lariat. Loaded up as much as a Lariat can get. Didnt like the chrome on the Platinums or Limiteds. Bought it in June last year. Its been good. Had to go back for a bunch of recalls and 1 warranty issue, electronics for the trailer wiring. Have 19K miles on it.

If I had to do it all over again today, it would be a Ram. Though I still dont like all the chrome. I drove lots of 19 Rams last year, and honestly the only reason why I bought the Ford was because my last handful of trucks were Dodge/Rams. Put lots of miles on them and never had any major issues. Wheel bearings, water pumps, etc. IMO Ram's reliabilty is just as good as Ford or GM.

I grew up a GM fan. But they arent even close anymore, IMO.

Im not unhappy with the Ford, I just like the Rams better.

I have 14 Fords, gas and diesel in my fleet driven by many different walks of life. These trucks are constantly called upon to tow and haul at max ratings. I stick with Fords because they hold up well and Ford has good fleet pricing and incentives. I rotate them out sooner now, but early on these trucks would all be at or over the 300k mile mark with little more than annual oil and filter changes. Idle hours are off the charts as most of the guys leave them running for the heat and/or air.

Stopped buying the GM's. Common theme was transmissions and electrical gremlins but the engines were reliable.

Never bought a Dodge/Ram.

They're all depreciating assets. Get the truck with the best financing. GMC is offering something to the order of $12k off on '18 models.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Tons of great responses! Thank you all. My thoughts in no order:

Ford F-150 Likes -- popular, lightweight, efficient, stylish. My 3.5 Eco MPG is not all that great. Certainly no better than Ram or GM V-8s.
Dislikes -- Very pricey, small engines, ride not the best.

Dislikes -- quality/reliability suspect, lower MPG, possible higher oil consumption. I disagree on all 3.

Silverado Likes -- Rock solid power train, value / lower pricing,
Dislikes -- poor fit and trim, cheap interior, ride not the best. I agree with everything but the ride. IMO 1.Ram easily 2. GM. 3. Ford. Ford handles corners best, Ram worst. But its a truck, not a race car.

Three good candidates, but some trade offs with each. Thats how I see it, at the moment.

I added to reflect my opinions.

Honestly, go test drive and get what YOU think is best for YOU. Not what we say on the internet.

edit: I want to add, I think the Ram 8sp trans is by far the best trans in a 1/2 truck. And I own a F150 with the 10sp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's 2019. I want turbos instead of lame cylinder deactivation.

[Linked Image]

An innovative double overhead cam valvetrain that enables high- and low-lift valve profiles, continuously variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation).

A dual-volute turbocharger housing for improved throttle response, low-speed torque and virtually no turbo lag.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u.../news/us/en/2018/oct/1010-silverado.html

Originally Posted by Srt20

Honestly, go test drive and get what YOU think is best for YOU. Not what we say on the internet.

Oh, certainly I will. I have time though and I like to make informed decisions. The pro ratings and reviews (Edmunds, Car & Driver, etc.) are great, but I place the highest value on "real world" input from all you guys here at BITOG. You all have been very helpful. It might just come down to whoever has the best deal at the time. I know won't go wrong with any of them!

Dislikes -- quality/reliability suspect, lower MPG, possible higher oil consumption.

I had a 16 Ram with the 3.6L and it got 24 mpg overall and I could get 30 mpg at a steady 60 mpg. Unless you go with the much more trouble prone diesel, I don't think you will find anything better in a full size truck.

If Keeping your truck 5 years or less buy a Ram or Jeep. Extended Warranty strongly advised if owning longer!
If Keeping your truck 10 years buy a GM or Ford.
If Keeping your truck 10-20 years buy a Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lifetime PU owner … decades … owned several of all the big 3 … mine and company …
GM

Me too. Owned 4 Fords, 2 Dodge, and 2 Chevy and I've preferred the Chevys if for no other reason i somehow think they are easier to work on. Have had no serious problems with any Big 3 PU

Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably need more specifics like do you want gas or diesel, 1/2 3/4 1 ton, basic or fully loaded. Personally I think it's ridiculous they have these loaded $70K+ trucks but apparently they are selling. I'd look for a 2 or 3 year old model and put the $20-$30K savings to better use, but that's not what you asked. Nobody makes a bad truck so it boils down to what floats your boat more than anything else.

Gas (regular).
1/2 ton.
Mid level package.

I will very rarely tow, if at all.
Looking for Value (bang for the buck, not just looking for the "cheapest one"), then ride quality, then overall reliability.
I do not want an overload of the latest high tech features. One with more basic accessories would be fine.

Id by a low mile 2017 off lease

I saw the new redesigned 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and could't get down to the Chevy dealer fast enough to trade in my 2012 Sierra on a new 2018. The new 2019 Silverado is ugly and the cab interior is really shameful.

I tried to buy a RAM-but the mirrors with the tow package were too big to fit in my garage-and no one knew what it would take/cost to change them out for the standard mirrors.

So that new RAM is one nice truck. That's what I would have bought.

Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan
I have 14 Fords, gas and diesel in my fleet driven by many different walks of life. These trucks are constantly called upon to tow and haul at max ratings. I stick with Fords because they hold up well and Ford has good fleet pricing and incentives. I rotate them out sooner now, but early on these trucks would all be at or over the 300k mile mark with little more than annual oil and filter changes. Idle hours are off the charts as most of the guys leave them running for the heat and/or air.

Stopped buying the GM's. Common theme was transmissions and electrical gremlins but the engines were reliable.

Never bought a Dodge/Ram.

They're all depreciating assets. Get the truck with the best financing. GMC is offering something to the order of $12k off on '18 models.

You could buy a sedan and do much, much worse on depreciation. I'm on my third (GM truck) -and the resale value is crazy and trade in time. It's very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back