New engine for GM HD trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has heard if the gm hd trucks are getting a new motor in the coming years??My first generation 6.0 is still rolling along but getting up in the miles(Been a workhores!!)

Do they still make the 8.1? Why would they do anything but an incremental improvement? Don't you think low cost diesels will be where it's at? Don't all the real big, med duty trucks come diesel now?

I've heard on again-off again rumors of a V6 diesel. As far as the V8 Duramax and Gasser V8s, I haven't seen nor heard anything about new engines.

The next Gen. small block is coming out next year(2014) In fact
some are already being built. As for the BBC 8100 V8 it is gone the way of the Dinosaurs.
RM

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do they still make the 8.1? Why would they do anything but an incremental improvement? Don't you think low cost diesels will be where it's at? Don't all the real big, med duty trucks come diesel now?

The 8.1 has been gone for a couple years. There's no big block V8 option in the GM trucks anymore.

If the 8.1 was still around id probably get one next year but i think the days of those big gasser's are all but over.diesel would be the way to go, but a strip down work truck with one would be to costly.

I bet the "ecoboost" technology will be a the new future of truck motors.

Nice!They are great truck for towing but yes the down side is they are very thirsty! What grinder are you running?? I have 2 rayco diesels

I have heard 12-14 mpg on the 6.0 and 8-10 on the big ones.Thankfully some sanity is coming thanks to CAFE.The old days when there was zero technology,there was "no replacement for displacement".Today,there are so many ways to boost power....multi valves,variable valve timing,valve lift control,dual stage intake manifolds,turbocharging,hemi chambers,direct injection,stratified charge....today a 4.6 could do the job a 6.6 could do back in the 80s,and do it better (until it breaks down and the gremlins cant be diagnosed).

I want a 2.5L-4.0L diesel pickup from any of the big names.

28mpg with 2000lbs payload is all many, many people want or need.

From 1994-1998 GM actually did offer the 6.5L diesel in the C/K1500 trucks, I think only with a long bed or extended cab. It wasn't a small diesel, but it was a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
From 1994-1998 GM actually did offer the 6.5L diesel in the C/K1500 trucks, I think only with a long bed or extended cab. It wasn't a small diesel, but it was a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck.

Yeah, and you could get it in the Kblazer since the mid 1980s. Ditto for the suburban.

These stupid torque wars that the big three are having dont really do much for anyone except the camper haulers and the southern boys who have too much money to spend. They sell how many big pickups a year? 1Million or more? Sure would be great to have a reasonable engine (NA variant or whatever if need be) to cut fuel. It would be a win for all, IMO.

Originally Posted By: stumpguy

I bet the "ecoboost" technology will be a the new future of truck motors.

Yeah but at the end of the day is DI plus turbocharging really any cheaper than ust going with a diesel? Di and turbo is essentially like a low-compression diesel. Just replace spark plugs with glow plugs, and cast iron for the Al block and heads, change the compression a bit and vary the fuel.

Both have emissions equipment and all... As the similarities converge, the basis for a gasser may not be as compelling...

The current line of diesels seem to get [censored] poor mileage due to the pollution stuff for soot I assume. The older diesels are much better. I sure hope they come up with a better way to deal with the soot than what they are doing. Before my 1999 Cummins goes to the boneyard.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The current line of diesels seem to get [censored] poor mileage due to the pollution stuff for soot I assume. The older diesels are much better. I sure hope they come up with a better way to deal with the soot than what they are doing. Before my 1999 Cummins goes to the boneyard.

Is it because they have all the emissions stuff, or is it because they are sporting giant engines putting out 700 lbft of torque?

Unless you know the SFC for the diesels (which based upon the diesels I work with, is far better than the IDI units from back in the day), you cant make any claims or point any fingers on anything.

its no different than why a v6 pickup will get better mileage than the small v8, which will do better than the big v8, all in the same truck.

I'm interested in what they can do with the 1/2 ton. I don't need a million HP but I would like a few more MPG's.

14/15 is about when I'm going to get another truck so I'm interested in what they plan to do.

Stumpguy-
I have a Rayco 1660 Turbo diesel and a little Vermeer 252... I had a Vermeer rubber-tracked TX-60, but an idiot employee left it in a yard where it was stolen.
Really miss the tracked machine... but I don't miss that employee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back