New Echo es 400 chainsaw.

So yesterday I went to trim up a big tree in my yard. My 24 year old homelite 16 inch chain saw started right up. But as soon as I put a load on it the thing died. So I fiddled with it for about an hour and didn't get any improvement. So I decided I'm going to get a new one. I went to home depot and saw the echo es400.
So as I am checking out a pro in full tree trimming regalia says to me "I wouldn't buy that they are junk". So of course I doubted my decision, he's a pro right? I go home research this saw and it has 4.8 stars out of 5... pretty good, I think.
I'm a homeowner I might use it 10 hrs a year.
Do I keep it or take it back? My crappy (but reliable) Homelite lasted 24 years. Sometimes pros are a little too much.

Echo is a good saw. I have used them all. Of course Shihl has earned its name. Husqvarnas are great as well.
For the money an Echo will cut and cut and cut everyday.

He's probably the same guy that tells you to go a buy a Stihl and you end up having to keep a bag of spares of those stupid quarter turn caps for the gas and oil that leak, or the flip up turn handle breaks off.

Estate I managed bought a small 40 horsepower Kioti tractor. All of the "real farmers" made fun of it but it was a banger of a deal and ended up being a fantastic tractor that was way more capable than what we needed.

I'd keep it. Most of my "I didn't research this before hand and bought it because I needed it" purchases have been great.

I have a lot of hours on my older echo cs-450. Unless they changed it a lot, its a great little saw. Even better with a good chain. With a non safety , semichisel chain , it will cut well.
IMG_20210217_143617694.jpg

My son and I own a cs 310 and a cs 590. They are excellent saws. The cs 310 is about ten years old and no problems at all. This last wood cutting season, we cut over 35 rick of wood and they never let us down once.

If your saw is a .325 .050 16 inch bar. This chain will cut much faster than the out of the box store chains. It has hardened blued cutters that stay sharp longer. ( keep it out of the dirt , that dulls it instantly).

Its a semi-chisel chain, but not anti-kick back so dont cut near the tip or where the tip can hit another log while cutting.

If you feel froggy, this is a full chisel chain, you would have to sharpen a bit more often, but cuts faster. With the smaller engine, i would use the chain above.

I use these chain files

Last edited:
I live on 5 acres, 2 of which are woods. I have an Echo Timber Wolf CS590 with an 18" bar. If I had to buy one over again I would get something lighter. I'd keep your saw as it's not heavy and intimidating like the pro saws often are.

I have a CS 450. Well balanced, fairly light and mine starts after only a couple of pulls and has a five year warranty if you use the Echo power blend oil.

I’ve got the slightly smaller CS370. It’s a beast of a saw. Especially since I adjusted the carb a little. Keep your chain sharp and your CS400 will keep pulling through wood.

L8R,
Matt

I have an Echo es400 and so does my neighbor. We both live on small farms and cut a variety of stuff.

In the past week i have cut red oak timber joists from a barn that were in an old scrap pile that were likely 80 years old, i cut a fallen black walnut that the power company cut for right of way.. it was soaking wet on top of it being a walnut..

Its a very light saw.. that eats whatever you pull the trigger. If other saws are better i dont wanna know. It screams and eats whatever i put its bar to.

I like the air filter and how easy it is to maintain. Mine is 4 years old and runs better than the day i got it.

Echos are great saws! I don't have much faith in asking tree pros what their favorite saws are, since most will give you a different opinion based on their favorite brand and what their usage is. Most own more than one saw for different purposes.

As a small engine mechanic, Echo, Dolmar, and Husqvarna/Jonsered are my top brands. Stihl's older saws were great, but their new stuff is built to a price point and parts are much harder to get. Many of my Stihl customers are tree guys who have "only used Stihl" forever and still think they are great until I tell them I can't get parts and what they need is dealer only.

Use your Echo saw with confidence.

The only issue I have had with my cs-450 gas been recently but is no big deal.
Now my saw is older, I don't remember when I bought it , 7 or 8 years maybe.

The muffler vent? Vibrated some screws out and the jet of exhaust melted a hole in the chain brake handle. I moved the scews left so I could finish. I have a lot of hours on this saw, but it's something to watch.
IMG_20210329_194400201.jpg
IMG_20210329_194322460.jpg
IMG_20210329_194341237.jpg

So yesterday I went to trim up a big tree in my yard. My 24 year old homelite 16 inch chain saw started right up. But as soon as I put a load on it the thing died. So I fiddled with it for about an hour and didn't get any improvement. So I decided I'm going to get a new one. I went to home depot and saw the echo es400.
So as I am checking out a pro in full tree trimming regalia says to me "I wouldn't buy that they are junk". So of course I doubted my decision, he's a pro right? I go home research this saw and it has 4.8 stars out of 5... pretty good, I think.
I'm a homeowner I might use it 10 hrs a year.
Do I keep it or take it back? My crappy (but reliable) Homelite lasted 24 years. Sometimes pros are a little too much.
Homelites were good saws back then. For your use, the Echo should be fine. Is it a Stihl or Husqvarna, no. I have never seen a professional tree guy using an Echo. Probably wouldn't hold up to their use.

So its been about a month since I bought the echo. I finally had a a tree surgeon take down 2 big trees. I'm cutting them up for firewood. Now I know the homelite was okay. This echo almost made me cry it was so powerful. It started out of the box on the first pull... get me some tissues. This thing is awesome, I may just sleep with it tonight. Ripped through 3/4 cord In 1 hrs before I got tired. Nothin like having good tools!

Back