New Champion Branded Filters at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edge10
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Demystification Link

Thanks. Looks like a decent filter. Agree the pleat spacing could be better, but it did hold up with no tears. Looks like a decent filter otherwise. 99% at 20 micron is OK with me, with my older vehicles my preference is more flow vs filtration. I would like to know the efficiency at other particle sizes and pressure drop info though.

Call them up and ask, maybe they have that info readily available to share, and maybe not. The rep I reached was very cooperative about researching answers he didn't have immediately at hand, and calling me back.

Exactlamente Nygotha.

Good, bad or dand indifferent these Champion Lab made filters made with the Champion label on them are legitimately very good oil filters. Which are 99% at 20 microns. These are just fine for anything on the road.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactlamente Nygotha.

Good, bad or dand indifferent these Champion Lab made filters made with the Champion label on them are legitimately very good oil filters. Which are 99% at 20 microns. These are just fine for anything on the road.

Where are you seeing the "99% at 20 microns"?

I haven't seen that printed anywhere for these Champion branded filters in the links provided in this thread.

It was stated to Nygotha from someone who would know.... It was in that thread my friend.

Hey, look Zee I like Fram stuff a whole lot too. As evidenced by me having a Fram orange 7317 on my Altima 3.5 coupe right now. Fram has really done a very good job raising the proverbial bar on the quality up and down their product line. They even have gotten to where their "worst" filters like the ph 8 and the ph 2 have looked much, better when cut open after use. That alone is impressive. Now, with the silicone ADBV offered in the orange can it is even "better". I'd give Fram 2 thumbs up on what they do for quality, performance, and value.

Having said all that.... This Champion oil filter made it Champion Lab is a very good filter. It is basically a old Mobil 1 extended oil filter with the older higher effiency filter media. At $6.99 everyday price for the cos7317 that fits my car.... That's a doggone good deal for what is in every essence a Mobil 1 oil filter which had high efficiency and high capacity. That... Is actually darn good. For everyday that ends with a y.

Last edited:
And to add this... If you called up a manufacturer and quoted what a representative stated.... I'd believe you 100% all day, everyday. Just like I trust Nygotha 100% all day, everyday. I respect you both... A lot. You deserve that. And Nygotha does as well.

It was stated to Nygotha from someone who would know.... It was in that thread my friend.

Aaaah, I found it ... somewhat an obscured dive down the rabbit hole to find it in this discussion. So riddle me this, if the efficiency really is 99% @ 20 microns why doesn't Champion show that detail on their website and brochures? Strange marketing methodology IMO.

Stranger still when you post you called Wix about WIX XP efficiency being 50% at 20 microns, and tell everyone else who questions it to call Wix themselves, then later the answer is 99% at 35 microns from someone else who calls themself.

But here you swore off ever calling Federal Mogul yourself months ago, then question the veracity of someone who took the trouble to do so.

Lack of logic strikes again!

Stranger still when you post you called Wix about WIX XP efficiency being 50% at 20 microns, and tell everyone else who questions it to call Wix themselves, then later the answer is 99% at 35 microns from someone else who calls themself.

But here you swore off ever calling Federal Mogul yourself months ago, then question the veracity of someone who took the trouble to do so.

Lack of logic strikes again!

Whoa ... settle down cowboy. I posted about my phone conversion with WIX (many times in fact) after being told the XP was 50% @ 20 microns, and some members didn't seem to believe it, so I said "call them yourself" (even gave them WIX's phone number) ... just like you told me to call Champion. It's up to them to follow through if interested. I didn't call Champion because I'm not interested in them, so my choice. I'm not going to call Champion to just "appease" you, just like I wouldn't expect someone to call to appease me ... only to appease themselves.

And where did I say I didn't believe you or Champion? All I said is I find it strange that Champion doesn't advertise their claim in text on their website or brochure information. Why not if it's that stellar? That's not saying it's false, it's just strange marketing IMO.

People need to stop reading between the lines ... pretty ridiculous at times.

Don't know.... I am not Carnack (not sure of that spelling but anyhow)... Aka Johnny Carson from The Tonight Show.

I agree that is a bit strange and odd. But... That is their circumstance to manage. Not mine.
I would handle it differently as well.

That all being said.... At the end of the day.... The Champion oil filter is a very good filter. Basically a Mobil 1 oil filter at $6.99 everyday price. That's actually a decent deal in my opinion. One that I think is worthy of getting or at least considering.

Last edited:
It was a global question, not meant directly to you. I agree, if the filter is that good for $6.99 then maybe Champion should get a new dude in the advertising department and they might sell more. Could be stiff competition for the other high efficiency oil filters out there.

As far as "reading between the lines".... That is commonly done here. At one time or another I believe we all have been guilty of doing just that. It happens a whole lot.
Being perfectly honest the part where you ask others about "well if it is so great then why don't they show it"... Is a cousin to basically "reading between the lines" as well. Something not explicitly stated word for word by Champion or Federal Mogul and then you jump on that and ask that question. It is very, very similar to "reading between the lines".

Sometimes there are occasions where "reading between the lines" is a very good thing to do. Other times it is the wrong thing to do... Depends upon circumstance and how it is done.

To be perfectly fair... In this circumstance that's a understandable, well rationaled, and reasonable question. It does/seem a bit strange that the information is not blatantly stated somewhere.

Not trying to give you a hard time here. Just trying to help us all by thinking about how we all handle or perhaps mishandle things on here from time to time. It is something that we all have to be mindful of not doing. Because it does create a lot of aggervation when any of us do that. Myself included.

You know I respect you a lot and am very glad you are on here. You are one of the very good guys here my friend.

Last edited:
So you did say and I quote, "riddle me this". I did take that as a direct question to me.

So it did appear to be directed to me specifically.

Now, having said that... In my first answer I was just joking with you about not being Carnack aka Johnny Carson from the Tonight Show. If you and I were on the phone or in person I would have said... "Blank" if I know... I am not Carnack Johnny Carson from the Tonight Show. And I would have been laughing the entire time I said all that. Then you would have known from my laughing and way my voice sounded you would easily would have known I was joking with you. However, in just reading my typed response it would have just as been likely you thought I was being a smart "donkey" so to speak. When in fact I really was not trying to be that at all.

You see Zee, this typed posting circumstance can be very hard and difficult to work itself out. Wires get crossed inadvertently or unintentionally and things can go sideways rather quickly. It is difficult enough to have a disagreement in person or over the phone. But in this context it is even far more difficult.

That's why I am saying all of this. For myself and everyone else. This is not an easy circumstance in which to debate or have a disagreement in. And it takes a lot of effort on all of our parts not to be disgruntled with each other, aggervation with other, and or misinterpret each other in a bad way. We all have to take the time and effort to try to not have a bad circumstance go down due to lack of effort or understanding each other.

As far as "reading between the lines".... That is commonly done here. At one time or another I believe we all have been guilty of doing just that. It happens a whole lot.
Being perfectly honest the part where you ask others about "well if it is so great then why don't they show it"... Is a cousin to basically "reading between the lines" as well. Something not explicitly stated word for word by Champion or Federal Mogul and then you jump on that and ask that question. It is very, very similar to "reading between the lines".

I'm talking about reading between the lines of what people post here about other members. My comment you pointed out was "reading between the lines" of the lack of technical information provided by Federal Mogul about their filter's efficiency - not about a member of BITOG. I'm sure others who know about oil filter efficiency specs were wondering the same thing. It's a valid point to bring up on why haven't they published this outstanding efficiency spec for the consumer to see?

Nyogtha was reading between the lines of what I was posting, and giving me [censored] about it. Nowhere did I say Federal Mogul's information given to him was not accurate (after I had to go dig in a thread about Mobil 1 filter to find his single hidden post about talking to them).

I again said I think it's a strange way to market such a supposed great product by keeping it's main performance feature a secret to the public, which is who would buy such a filter and keep them in business. Like I said, they need a new manager in the advertising department if they expect to sell more of such a stellar oil filter.

Not directing anything negative towards you bbhero, just sayin'.

Um, the whole rabbit hole thing points to lack of veracity . . . guess you never realized that?

Dude, your single post about the efficiency spec was burred in a Mobil 1 filter thread which was then linked in this thread ... so yeah, it was down a rabbit hole. Get real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back