Champion oil filter cos 7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent looking filter and specs, and at a good price. Didn't like the wide pleat on the one cut by Nyogtha, but maybe that was a 3-sigma fluke.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Decent looking filter and specs, and at a good price. Didn't like the wide pleat on the one cut by CAR51, but maybe that was a 3-sigma fluke.

Yeah the one I cut I wasn't overly impressed with. I wouldn't use these filters as I like Tough Guards and ULTRA better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Decent looking filter and specs, and at a good price. Didn't like the wide pleat on the one cut by CAR51, but maybe that was a 3-sigma fluke.

Yeah the one I cut I wasn't overly impressed with. I wouldn't use these filters as I like Tough Guards and ULTRA better
smile.gif

Car51, sorry I mispoke. Yes it was Your C&P that Nyogtha linked to.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
She's happy, that's all that matters
smile.gif

Bbhero: called mom, she and stepdad are in Oahu HI and enjoying 2 weeks there and doing great

This X 100!

thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Car51, sorry I mispoke. Yes it was Your C&P that Nyogtha linked to.

Zee0Six: it's all good
smile.gif

Clearly the Gollum of BITOG went down the rabbit hole! Any bid for drama . . .

bbhero, thanks for this c&p. Glad things are going your way today. My wife's the shutterbug in our family, I can relate to your issues with photography.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Clearly the Gollum of BITOG went down the rabbit hole! Any bid for drama . . .

Rabbit hole explorers usually find a rabid rabbit down in those holes. Check for a foamy mouth.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Well I'd say if that media is as stout as I think it is... Whole lot less likely it would tear. I bet this media is very, very tough and it's obviously efficient.

I will take one wide open spot with very strong media over one with a wide spot and wussified media that tears
smile.gif

Yeah Nygotha I had a good day. Except for migraine. Eventually got that under control.

Had a good time at work despite that. I am a happy camper.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well I'd say if that media is as stout as I think it is... Whole lot less likely it would tear. I bet this media is very, very tough and it's obviously efficient.

I will take one wide open spot with very strong media over one with a wide spot and wussified media that tears
smile.gif

Amen! Maintaining physical integrity over the course of a FCI is job one!

I think market competition and choices are a good thing - the more options for freedom of choice, the better. I like Wix filters except for their current ownership by M+H, thus why these would be my go-to filters if I didn't already have a stash of my choices that fit my criteria and household fleet's driving habits. Too much consolidation in an industry isn't helpful for the consumer.

Yeah Nygotha those Carquest Premium oil filters were really quite good. And the Carquest red filters were actually very decent too. I wish I had gotten more of those as well.

And I think the circumstance with Wix is a wait and see how it goes deal. I agree with you the more competition the better. I think competition makes companies stronger. Just like Coke and Pepsi.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

smile.gif

Yes, if the media is stout then wide pleats won't matter much. We pretty much know which company uses "wussified" media. Hopefully that doesn't migrate to the WIX brand via M+H influence.

Be sure to C&P that bad boy when done with the run.
thumbsup2.gif

I rejected the CQ Red filters due to wide pleat spacing. I did not want to take a chance. I do not care for the wide pleat spaces on these either.

As long as I can get standard WIX, NAPA Gold, Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra and their quality stays then I will be happy.

When I see press releases like this one, I get concerned:
Champ Labs News Article

There have been wide pleat spaces on Fram Ultra filters as well. I have seen it on the 6607 version among others. But am or was I worried about it?? Nah. Not at all. Fram has filter media that is more than really good and it was wired backed. I have seen Fram TG and EGs with some wide pleats as well. I wasn't worried about them either. The media has held just fine in the TG or EG as well. It's not about pleat spacing where the problem is. It is wussified filter media that is not up to the job. If Charmin was used for filter media in some filters than it would not happen.

This Champion oil filter has tough media in it just like other very good oil filters. Media tough as a skirt steak that's been on the grill 20 minutes too long. That's where the proverbial rubber hits the road.

I e-mail Champ concerning my application COS3593A, requesting the micron efficiency ratings. CS responded directing me back to the website. Lol! Great service.

LINK

Respectfully,

Pajero!

The Critic gave me one over the weekend to try, a COS4967, we'll see how it holds up for a 5K OCI on PPHM I just done.

The build quality compared to a Chinese STP wasn't the greatest, I saw some adhesive around the baseplate/gasket flange junction and the threads could have used some more deburring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back