New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
M1 0W-40's higher VI means it's lighter on start-up than both Castrol 0W-40 and even GC 0W-30. How much lighter? It's still 10% lighter at 60F and progressively more so at lower temp's and this is despite M1 having a significantly higher HTHSV.

Now, can the same thing be claimed for the Red Line 0W-40 over the sacred 'holy grail' M1 0W-40??
21.gif

In other words, does RL's higher VI make it thinner than the M1 at ALL temps, DESPITE it's ~.2 higher HTHSV, or is the VI difference not great enough to make up for that HTHSV difference?
confused2.gif

M1 0W-40 is the "bench mark" 0W-40 because it's an OEM oil with spec's that are very hard to beat, not to mention it's available everywhere and reasonably priced.
The 'holy grail' is a VI as high as possible and the 197 VI of RL 0W-40 is the highest of any 30wt or heavier oil in NA but due to it's higher 4.0cP HTHSV I think it will be heavier than M1 0W-40 at all temp's.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Finally made my AAP run; visited 2 stores:
1st one only had BC - got all 6 qts they had on the rack; (more coming next week but i will be out of country) - rang up as BOGO
They didn't carry GC at all.

2nd one had 4 BC qts on the rack - that's all they had; got all 4 qts (rang up as BOGO) -
[ok who cleaned up BC in these 2 stores??)]
They also had GC
smile.gif
got 8 qts of that BOGO .... I was tempted to buy more, but I get curious about other oils from time to time and this should cover me for at least 2 self oil changes on the Bimmer
smile.gif

So the tally is 8 qts of GC and 10 qts of BC for BOGO - quite happy
smile.gif
- Now the pics:
smile.gif

IMG_0910_zps85740205.jpg

IMG_0911_zps0f42d66b.jpg

Does the 0W-40 actually state; "Made In Belgium" on the back of the bottle??

AAP website has the fucntion to see which oils they have in stock in any specific store by entering zip code - saves a lot of time, and it updates pretty quick.
(Both AAP stores showed zero BC available after I came home
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: edyvw
So anyone knows who else is carrying BC except AAP?
In San Diego we do not have AAP so...

Napa shows it on their website. But when I called one of their local stores, they were clueless as far as how to order it for me.

I said it's on their website. I didn't say they carry it in store. It'd be a special order IF they can figure out how to order it for you.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I said it's on their website. I didn't say they carry it in store. It'd be a special order IF they can figure out how to order it for you.

Ah, I understood you saying it is in the store.
Well, I hope this BC will become popular so other stores start to carry, untill then good ole GC
smile.gif

It seems the only AAP stores that have BC are in the south. What sense does that make?

But then again even finding GC was a chore around here.

KCJeep wrote: "But then again even finding GC was a chore around here."

With a location as general as "USA," I don't see how that statement means very much.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
KCJeep wrote: "But then again even finding GC was a chore around here."

With a location as general as "USA," I don't see how that statement means very much.

Kansas City. The "KC" in KCJeep. Being from Mizzourah I'd have figured you to pick up on that.

Still not happy about the SEC thing.
frown.gif

It took some searching but I was able to find GC at the AAP in Lees Summit.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So now we have Belgian castrol as well as German castrol. Interesting.

This is BC 2.0. IIRC, the original BC was Syntec 5W-40. I believe it was only a stopgap around the time of Katrina.

-Dennis

I used BC well before Katrina hit. In fact, I think that it had already left the market before Katrina. But, bluesubie is absolutely right about BC being 5W40. There are BITOG threads around if you are interested. I am curious if BC was actually on the US market before GC-Green. I am pretty sure that is was gone before GC-Gold.

I just bought 6 more quarts today. Plan on stopping by another AAP on the way home from work and seeing what they have left. 5W-50 seems to always be in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back