New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl

For NA users 0w40 is SM and 5w40 is SN.

Says SN on the bottle

Oooh this is great news. Subscribed to topic! Please let me know when a VOA becomes available. I will definitely try this stuff next time it comes on sale.

What would make it even cooler is if they dyed it some funky color like Valvoline Synpower VR-1 (blue), or Green GC.

YAY it's LL01
smile.gif

so this is at AAP, but not AZ?

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Originally Posted By: bigjl

For NA users 0w40 is SM and 5w40 is SN.

Says SN on the bottle

That is Syntec, not Castrol Edge FST that I was referring to.

My info came from Castrol website.

went to the closest AAP to see and buy 1 quart to keep in the Bimmer like I usually do, but they did NOT have it.
frown.gif

Must be only some AAPs that stock it, or perhaps it's too soon for them to get it...

Instead got a qt of Edge w/SPT 5/40 and got another qt for free
smile.gif

I will be looking at other AAPs though...and perhaps AZs too, just in case...

Perhaps they all wait till 5/40 is sold out ??? or perhaps they can order it anyway, even if they don't carry it? (I forgot to ask them when i went there today...)
Is this the birth of a BC craze? (Belgian Castrol)
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I will be looking at other AAPs though...and perhaps AZs too, just in case...

Just go on AAP's website. It'll tell you which stores in your area have it in stock.

Thanks! idk how i forgot to do that - just did that and YAY they have it in 2 other stores near me (probably about a 15 - 20 min drive)...

Last edited:
Cool. None of the stores near me carry it.

I still haven't decided what to use for my next oil change though... I've got a few months to make up my mind. Most likely I'll stick with PU 5w-40 though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cool. None of the stores near me carry it.

I still haven't decided what to use for my next oil change though... I've got a few months to make up my mind. Most likely I'll stick with PU 5w-40 though.

Me neither - I was playing with the idea of Total Quartz 5/40 and now this BC (Belgian Castrol) thing starts...
smile.gif

(Perhaps I can take the spouse on a BC run this time
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
shocked2.gif

Thanks!

I sent a message to Castrol asking them where the specs are.
smile.gif

Hahaha... I just got a phone call from Castrol this morning. They were dumbfounded. They said they do not have such a product available at retail and were very curious to find out which specific store it was found at, what it said on the label, lot number, etc. Sounds like someone's in trouble.
lol.gif

I wasn't of much help as I could only tell them what I saw on the pics that the OP posted.

WHAT! They don't know?? wonder if i should hoard enough for an oil change before they pull all BC
smile.gif

This is crazy though...it's even on the AAP website!

Last edited:
My guess is they're getting ready to launch it officially in the US in the near future. The product may have already been shipped to stores, but the stores weren't supposed to put in on the shelf/website just yet. Maybe some store managers "didn't get the memo."

From a cold flow (sub-freezing) perspective, M1 0w-40 is still king due to its higher VI. At operating temp, both M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 are identical, with GC being just slightly thinner at 100 deg C.

Castrol 0w-40 seems to have slightly lower sulphated ash content (1.12) compared to M1 0w-40 (1.3), which could mean fewer additives in Castrol, but not necessarily weaker in terms of performance/protection as there is more to it.

Of course, I'm going by Castrol's European specs which don't necessarily have to be the same as for the product that you guys found on the shelf in the US.

Thanks for that info, Pete.

I am playing with the idea of going to the 2nd AAP that's about 5 miles from me (which is supposed to have this in stock) and checking if the Syntec BOGO applies to this one, too...and if it does, perhaps grab 2 qts, i can always mix it with whatever oil for the next OC and send some off for a VOA....

Saw this Castrol 0W-40 (the new "Belgian Castrol" or BC) on the shelf at local AAP yesterday. They had a whole bunch of it and only 3 qts left of the made in USA 5W-40. I sorta doubt that they will keep with both the 5W-40 and the 0W-40, but who knows? I hope it is a decent oil like the GC has been. GC is the only Castrol product I regularly use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back