New Battery Poll

The Walmart AGM in this size is $180. I’d give that a try.
I recently bought a Walmart AGM for a friend (two months ago). Price and warranty was decent. It was for a 2001 Toyota Highlander. Costco used to be my "go to" but their warranty is off putting...three years prorated. Walmart is four years free replacement on their AGM.

I think my Honda had Panasonic and the first battery went 10 years and then I replaced based on load test, not even dead.

Are AGM or "sealed" or whatever less likely to spew acid on the cables and posts and such? Or is that something else? My dad used to say that. My Toyota is fine, no real acid buildup, but the Forester is like harvesting mushrooms every couple months. It's gross and annoying and probably rotting everything in the battery tray area. I use all the sprays and everything every couple months. Been like that with both high quality 🤣 Subaru batteries.
AGMs are sealed, they should not leak or have issues with stuff accumulating on the posts. But I have had three Optima red top AGMs leak...so never say never. And stay away from Optima red tops.

.....Anything of better value out there?
Here is Consumer Reports recommendations for "best value" batteries.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 4.39.31 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 4.39.54 AM.jpg

...To help members find the best replacement car battery, Consumer Reports tests 150 individual car batteries every year in our lab to help you make smart decisions when it’s time to replace your battery. We test five units of each rated model to ensure that your experience matches our results....

....some top-rated lead-acid batteries cost less than many of their competitors, says John Galeotafiore, who oversees testing of car batteries at Consumer Reports....

“Price doesn’t necessarily mean better performance,” Galeotafiore says. “We’ve got some less expensive batteries in our ratings that score very well.”

Here is Consumer Reports recommendations for "best value" batteries.

View attachment 196758

View attachment 196759
I have been a CR member for over 30 years. The information posted is a bit over 5 years old. They have not updated their tests since late 2018. But unless the manufacturer has changed specifications or the supplier they get their batteries from, the data should still be relevant. (you can tell the info is old, because the prices have gone up quite a bit and the graphics on some brands have changed)

I used that CR testing info to purchase the AC Delco AGM group 49/H8 they recommended. Five years later and it is still exceeding its 900 CCA rating. It is made in Germany by Varta and the same battery is sold now by Interstate and Walmart in some markets. You can tell when you see the "made in Germany" sticker. All the Euro sized AGMs (H5, H6, H7, H8 etc.) are being supplied to these companies by Varta apparently. Varta AGMs are the oem for many German car manufacturers.

Attachments

• AC Delco.jpg
    AC Delco.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 10
  • interstate german.jpg
    interstate german.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • walmart germany.jpeg
    walmart germany.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I can remember getting 72 month batteries no long ago for about $100. Now what you get for $100 is a 36 month battery. Of course we all are enjoying that new battery technology that last half as long and costs twice as much!

I have been a CR member for over 30 years. The information posted is a bit over 5 years old. They have not updated their tests since late 2018....
In this July 2023 article on their website, CR fails to mention that their battery test data is 5 years old :

In this July 2023 article on their website, CR fails to mention that their battery test data is 5 years old :

Yeah, CR is getting lazy to just regurgitate previous testing from so many years ago...as they should not assume the designs have not changed, or supplier change. They really need to perform new tests to instill confidence

Yeah, CR is getting lazy to just regurgitate previous testing from so many years ago...as they should not assume the designs have not changed, or supplier change. They really need to perform new tests to instill confidence
CR recently mailed me an offer to resubscribe at $20/yr ( I unsubscribed about 7 years ago). They are sending me a free gift (health info magazine issue) and the most recent CR magazine, at no obligation or cost. I'm hoping they send me the Feb 2024 magazine issue. It appears to have articles on "top rated" tires and "car batteries". If those 2 articles are regurgitating 5 year old information, I won't be inclined to subscribe again.

CR recently mailed me an offer to resubscribe at $20/yr ( I unsubscribed about 7 years ago). They are sending me a free gift (health info magazine issue) and the most recent CR magazine, at no obligation or cost. I'm hoping they send me the Feb 2024 magazine issue. It appears to have articles on "top rated" tires and "car batteries". If those 2 articles are regurgitating 5 year old information, I won't be inclined to subscribe again.

I haven't seen them republish tire tests, probably because tire models change every three or four years, so it would be hard to do so.
Batteries less so, so I get why they would...but as we all learn, battery quality and suppliers can change and need to be taken into account.
I will be watching for my Feb issue. It should be receiving it in the next week or two.

Hello,

Researching batteries currently. 2017 Corolla with an, 7 year old battery. Still doing fine with a load test, but getting closer to that range of replacing. Also have a 17 Forester and that battery is 2 years old (which means it's well past it's life expectancy LOL). Looking at Duracell AGM. Seem like a reasonable price, decent warranty, etc.

Anything of better value out there?
Everstarts but duracell is great. You must be bored if your replacing batteries that load test fine

Everstarts but duracell is great. You must be bored if your replacing batteries that load test fine
Just looking into it. It was in great health, now it's approaching the bottom of fine. So I'll probably get one soon if they're on sale, rather than pay extra for a few months longer use.

Last couple years have been using the Super Start line from O Reillys auto parts.They are quite heavy which is indication of a well made powerfull battery. Do not know who makes them but have been excellent so far

Just replaced the battery in my 17 Regal GS with a WM H6, plenty in stock. ;)
1704674700756.jpg

Last couple years have been using the Super Start line from O Reillys auto parts.They are quite heavy which is indication of a well made powerfull battery. Do not know who makes them but have been excellent so far
SuperStart can be East Penn or JCI/Clarios.

Not sure heavier is an indication of "well made", but it does indicate more plates are packed into the case. That usually means more cold cranking amps, but I am told that can be a trade off in making a battery more suseptible to shorting out cells if sulfation starts to rear, due to the plates being so close together.

OE battery lasted 6 years in my Jeep. Replaced it with a battery from Les Schwab warranted 24 months free replacement, 84 months limited warranty. We'll see.

Back