New Battery Poll

Hello,

Researching batteries currently. 2017 Corolla with an, 7 year old battery. Still doing fine with a load test, but getting closer to that range of replacing. Also have a 17 Forester and that battery is 2 years old (which means it's well past it's life expectancy LOL). Looking at Duracell AGM. Seem like a reasonable price, decent warranty, etc.

Anything of better value out there?

Personally, I'd only replace an AGM with an AGM.
And why is that, out of curiosity? When I lived in the frozen North, I almost always replaced the battery with a high performance/AGM for the extreme winter temps and CCA's. Never had issues with them so just curious why.

I believe the charging profiles between FLA and AGM batteries differ. Matching type for type eliminates the need to adjust, no?
I disagree. The plain flat plate AGM can be charged using same charge profile as normal flooded lead acid. It's the fancy spiral and other AGM batteries that need a different charging profile.

I would get a AGM made by East Penn. Walmart has them but hard to find. NAPA AGM are made by East Penn around Delaware.

I would not focus on the cheapest battery. Having an East Penn last an extra year or so will more than compensate for a possible higher price.

Avoid Walmart's AGM especially their H7 and H8. They're dirt cheap but always out of stock. Why am I telling you this? OK, if you bought one let's say H7 AGM and they're available. PRAY that battery never have a problem during it's warranty period.
What if it fails during the warranty period and it's OUT OF STOCK, then you're out of luck. That's OUT OF STOCK in their distribution center nationwide and most of the time it'll take months for them to have those batteries in stock. And you'll have to wait for months to get a replacement battery.

Last edited:
Avoid Walmart's AGM especially their H7 and H8. They're dirt cheap but always out of stock. Why am I telling you this? OK, if you bought one let's say H7 AGM and they're available. PRAY that battery never have a problem during it's warranty period.
What if it fails during the warranty period and it's OUT OF STOCK, then you're out of luck. That's OUT OF STOCK in their distribution center nationwide and most of the time it'll take months for them to have those batteries in stock. And you'll have to wait for months to get a replacement battery.
we haven’t the slightest issue out of them with some going on almost 3 years old at this point.

You have had this issue? They didn't simply refund your purchase price?

Walmart batteries are East Penn - dependent on your state. I would start there. If if it - the serial starts with EP.

If its Clarios, serial should start with JCI, or sometime it says Clarios right on them. I can tell you South Carolina is Clarios and Virginia is EP - at least the places I have looked.

If your a Costco member they have the same battery for a few bucks less, but the warranty is pro-rated not replacement.

You have had this issue? They didn't simply refund your purchase price?
Yes, AGM H7 for my Jaguar. Failed in less than 3 months but out of stock. The clerk says they'll have shipment for the week but everytime I call I've been informed the battery didn't came and assured me the following week. I got so mad, I wanted a refund but the clerk refused until I spoke to the Manager and I have to explain. Once I got my refund, I went to NTB added $60 more (I think) and never looked back.
I beleive, Walamrt is lowest bidder for these batteries and the battery manufacturer have to prioritize the highest bidder,
If you are in Walmart, go to Autmotive and look at their AGM H7 or H8, more like you wouldn't find any.

i bought a platinum H7 today for a 2019 silverado 1500. no shortage of H8 nor H7’s with 01/24 manufacture dates slapped on them. jag’s aren’t quite known for their reliability.

we haven’t the slightest issue out of them with some going on almost 3 years old at this point.
What? I'm in Houston as well. Go to your nearest Walmart and observe at the Automotive section and look for H7 or H8 AGMs

Back