New Battery Poll

i bought a platinum H7 today for a 2019 silverado 1500. no shortage of H8 nor H7’s with 01/24 manufacture dates slapped on them. jag’s aren’t quite known for their reliability.
Good luck on the battery, I hope it doesn't fail under warranty. If it failed under warranty and they have the H7 or H8 in stock, then consider yourself lucky

Yes, AGM H7 for my Jaguar. Failed in less than 3 months but out of stock. The clerk says they'll have shipment for the week but everytime I call I've been informed the battery didn't came and assured me the following week. I got so mad, I wanted a refund but the clerk refused until I spoke to the Manager and I have to explain. Once I got my refund, I went to NTB added $60 more (I think) and never looked back.
I beleive, Walamrt is lowest bidder for these batteries and the battery manufacturer have to prioritize the highest bidder,
If you are in Walmart, go to Autmotive and look at their AGM H7 or H8, more like you wouldn't find any.
Well that is fairly frustrating. Online shows them in stock at my local walmart. When I was there a couple weeks ago to buy a group 24 they were stocked to the gils with about everything, but I do know 6 months ago they were pretty light on everything - so I believe you.

I believe the charging profiles between FLA and AGM batteries differ. Matching type for type eliminates the need to adjust, no?
Yeah, some require a special charging if you're charging them, right? More power or something? I'm assuming if it's charged from the store (... that's a lot of trust...) my car doesn't need a special alternator, does it? I never had issues with, say, Optima Red Top years ago.

Probably not available, but an OEM battery made by Panasonic would be my #1 preferred battery choice. I've seen 9+ years out of these.
I think my Honda had Panasonic and the first battery went 10 years and then I replaced based on load test, not even dead.

Are AGM or "sealed" or whatever less likely to spew acid on the cables and posts and such? Or is that something else? My dad used to say that. My Toyota is fine, no real acid buildup, but the Forester is like harvesting mushrooms every couple months. It's gross and annoying and probably rotting everything in the battery tray area. I use all the sprays and everything every couple months. Been like that with both high quality 🤣 Subaru batteries.

I disagree. The plain flat plate AGM can be charged using same charge profile as normal flooded lead acid. It's the fancy spiral and other AGM batteries that need a different charging profile.
Do you know which brands or types or how I tell which are "plain flat plate"? Is it obvious in the description online when I search, say, Napa or Batteries Plus? I don't really trust the "experts" at stores, especially if they get commission.

Well that is fairly frustrating. Online shows them in stock at my local walmart. When I was there a couple weeks ago to buy a group 24 they were stocked to the gils with about everything, but I do know 6 months ago they were pretty light on everything - so I believe you.
It's only the AGM H7 and H8 because majority of European cars and American made cars require these battery size. So, they're very popular size. I don't know about Asian cars what the popular battery size they use The flooded battery size for these two are always in stock and so are other sizes. Here are my posts from the past from Year 2022.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ws-85-of-rated-cca.360031/page-3#post-6313339

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/interstate-batteries.362987/#post-6318057

Last edited:
Do you know which brands or types or how I tell which are "plain flat plate"? Is it obvious in the description online when I search, say, Napa or Batteries Plus? I don't really trust the "experts" at stores, especially if they get commission.
So the exception are the Optima spiral wound that look very different especially on the sides and Odyssey brand battery. Both are a lot more expensive that your flat plate AGM.

I disagree. The plain flat plate AGM can be charged using same charge profile as normal flooded lead acid. It's the fancy spiral and other AGM batteries that need a different charging profile.
Says Donald, or did this come from a reputable and verifiable source?

So the exception are the Optima spiral wound that look very different especially on the sides and Odyssey brand battery. Both are a lot more expensive that your flat plate AGM.
I was reading through Optima's website last night and it sounds like you charge them like many other lead acid batteries... Unless it's deeply discharged. There were a few caveats but I don't think would often (ever?) pertain to me. Otherwise, I'll do some more Googling around this topic.

Says Donald, or did this come from a reputable and verifiable source?
Optima's website seems to state they can be trickle charged or normally charged as long as you keep the voltage and amps of the charger in a certain range. That range looked pretty doable on most chargers I've seen. And as long as your alternator puts out typical voltage, it looks to me like they're fine as well.

I am looking at the settings on my BatteryMinder.
If you read Optima's site it sounds like you can charge as long as voltage is between xx&yy and amps are under zz. Can't remember the numbers. They recommend their Optima chargers that can charge a highly depleted Optima battery but I think they say it doesn't matter. Any charger will work as long as it's within specs of what they say for volts and amps. But do your own research. Don't trust me 😎

Avoid Walmart's AGM especially their H7 and H8. They're dirt cheap but always out of stock. Why am I telling you this? OK, if you bought one let's say H7 AGM and they're available. PRAY that battery never have a problem during it's warranty period.
What if it fails during the warranty period and it's OUT OF STOCK, then you're out of luck. That's OUT OF STOCK in their distribution center nationwide and most of the time it'll take months for them to have those batteries in stock. And you'll have to wait for months to get a replacement battery.
I've bought two H7's in the past 5 years, the last one was about 3 months ago. I always see them in stock, and saw one in stock on Dec 26th when I bought a group 24F AGM at Walmart.

I was reading through Optima's website last night and it sounds like you charge them like many other lead acid batteries... Unless it's deeply discharged. There were a few caveats but I don't think would often (ever?) pertain to me. Otherwise, I'll do some more Googling around this topic.
I think I remember reading about the onboard battery charger for my boat and same as BatteryMinder there are different settings for the fancy AGM batteries.

I would get a AGM made by East Penn. Walmart has them but hard to find. NAPA AGM are made by East Penn around Delaware.

I would not focus on the cheapest battery. Having an East Penn last an extra year or so will more than compensate for a possible higher price.
The Duracell AGM the OP is considering is made by East Penn.

Walmart batteries are East Penn - dependent on your state. I would start there. If if it - the serial starts with EP.

If its Clarios, serial should start with JCI, or sometime it says Clarios right on them. I can tell you South Carolina is Clarios and Virginia is EP - at least the places I have looked.

If your a Costco member they have the same battery for a few bucks less, but the warranty is pro-rated not replacement.
Walmart AGMs can also be Varta in some markets, see attachment

Attachments

• walmart germany.jpeg
    walmart germany.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 15
Optima red tops have a bad reputation in the last 10 years or so. I have had three Group 34R leak over a 7 year period. I gave up and two years ago, installed an Interstate AGM and its been great. I posted about my experience on a Ferrari forum and two Ferrari technicians concurred and one posted photos exactly like mine of leaking Optima red tops.

I own Battery Minder chargers as well. Its really only Odyssey that has the special charging profile requirement. Battery Minder makes an AGM specific charging profile that is endorsed by Odyssey. Battery Minder also states this AGM profile is appropriate also for Optima, Yuasa and Polaris AGM batteries. They state that other AGM batteries should be charged using their "flooded battery" setting or charger.

Last edited:
Probably not available, but an OEM battery made by Panasonic would be my #1 preferred battery choice. I've seen 9+ years out of these.
I don’t think they are. It’s what our 4R came with, but if one goes to the dealer you supposedly just get an interstate battery with that OW Toyota pricing.

Back