New 2024 Toyota Tacoma

Had a 2010...V6, 2wd, crew cab, long bed. Reliable as hell, performed like crap, rode even worse. 35k wheel bearings out, 65k out again.
How could it be reliable with that much breakage in that few miles?

I’m trying to like them. Somewhat wish I had a base 2023, but I don’t want a car payment right now. I keep telling myself the most popular Toyota truck on the planet has a turbo so it should be good. I know nothing about the engine, what else it’s been in, reliability, how old it is etc.

Will likely get one of these or a Frontier. Another alternative is a new sub $30k Subaru Forester and an older Tacoma or first gen Tundra.

How could it be reliable with that much breakage in that few miles?
If it happens on Toyota, that is normal. Thinking is: if my bearing failed at 35k, can you imaging other brands?
It is actually amazing to observe that. When I had Sienna, local dealership wanted to sell me 17" spare, 155/90R17 for $305. I said: how is that possible? I got 18" donut for BMW X5 in dealership, same, Dunlop, for $129? The guy at parts proudly said: "yeah, but this is Toyota."

If it happens on Toyota, that is normal. Thinking is: if my bearing failed at 35k, can you imaging other brands?
It is actually amazing to observe that. When I had Sienna, local dealership wanted to sell me 17" spare, 155/90R17 for $305. I said: how is that possible? I got 18" donut for BMW X5 in dealership, same, Dunlop, for $129? The guy at parts proudly said: "yeah, but this is Toyota."
As much as it pains me to agree with you (as one of the resident Toyota fanbois)... yeah... I'd not be happy. I buy 'em under the impression I'll do tires and brake pads for the first 100k, then maybe struts sometime before 200k.

Nope...the "tow package" replaced the cooler with a hockey puck-like thing where the cooler used to connect to the transmission - on one side of the puck is engine coolant and on the other side it transmission fluid. It is technically a transmission fluid "warmer" used to get the transmission fluid up to operating temp quicker although yes, after the transmission fluid exceeds 200 F (the coolant temp), it will do some very weak cooling of the transmission fluid.

I recently did some light towing of 1500 lbs around town for a few days and I transmission fluid temp averaged 235 F - not great for something that is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid.

Apparently, this had something to do with changes to the AC system and after some testing, they decided they couldn't do the separate cooler - although you can add an aftermarket that basically uses all the OEM Toyota lines going to an aftermarket radiator so it was possible for Toyota to do. This line of bull was given by Mike Sweers the lead engineer.
Does this hockey puck warmer/cooler open and close like a thermostat?

Does this hockey puck warmer/cooler open and close like a thermostat?
Should, I would think. When I had my Tundra, the non-tow package had this, and it was thermostatically controlled. On mine, I had the tow package, with a big cooler, and there was still a t-stat. For fun one day I stuck a pin in, as required for doing fluid changes, just to see what would happen if I forced it into using the cooler "always". Warmed up much slower, but I don't recall if it impacted torque convertor lockup or not. Decided to leave it alone, while not lifetime the old advice about fluid temperature don't apply like they used to.

On mine I could only access (on my Scangauge) the convertor outlet temperature. I'm not sure if the temperature spike there should be feared or not. But yeah, I could see 230+ with stupid ease in that truck on hills with the TC unlocked. Sad thing is, I swear, I could get better mpg if I forced a downshift before the hill and then carried it with the TC locked...

You should see the outrage people are having as it appears for a lot of the 2024 Tacoma line-up does not have an actual full size spare, but a doughnut.

You should see the outrage people are having as it appears for a lot of the 2024 Tacoma line-up does not have an actual full size spare, but a doughnut.
Actually I would be too. They market this vehicle as “do it all, conquer Moab and Afghanistan high country, go to your local Home Depot and get cinder block.” But, spare is suitable for local Starbucks actually.

Chevy Trailboss FTW. :LOL: 🤭

1709410559670.jpg

Last edited:
Toyota like all the other manufactures aren't the quality marque they used to be.

As much as it pains me to agree with you (as one of the resident Toyota fanbois)... yeah... I'd not be happy. I buy 'em under the impression I'll do tires and brake pads for the first 100k, then maybe struts sometime before 200k.
I am still trying to sell strut and shocks that I was about to replace it, but got rid of the car. Thinking is: it leaks? It is fine, it is Toyota.

Give that Yoda the same Duratrac tire that’s on the GM and I bet the results would be quite different.
Yeah, I don’t think it is that. Tires were spinning, not much torque there for that to be the reason. If you think Duratrac provide more bite, they would probably fail drivetrain faster. This is clearly manufacturing issue or quality of materials.

Yeah, I don’t think it is that. Tires were spinning, not much torque there for that to be the reason. If you think Duratrac provide more bite, they would probably fail drivetrain faster. This is clearly manufacturing issue or quality of materials.
Was this truck stuck or did something break? I assumed it was stuck.

Was this truck stuck or did something break? I assumed it was stuck.
No. I did not find other video to see exactly what broke.
Basically something broke, and front axle was disconnected.
I think it is around 10min in the video. Actually, obstacle is nothing that average AWD would not cross if it had traction. Conditions were more suited for snow tires than A/T.

That was painful to watch. The guy in the Tacoma has no clue how to drive on ice. Locking the rear diff on an off-camber, icy trail, is the last thing you want to do. The vehicle will just slide to whichever side the road/trail is sloped, as we saw...

The weak link in the front drive should be the CV-axles. If what broke was anything that should be more substantial in strength, Toyota has problems. The strain on the front drive was minimal in that video. It makes me wonder what the truck was put through previously, if anything, which potentially weakened whatever broke.

Back