"New" 2008 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
The other option I have is an 03/04 Accord 5 speed with a magical auto on/off stereo. That would limit the driving to me, as my wife doesn't know and doesn't want to learn how to drive manual. Of course, having 100% use of the 2012 F30 335i would make her happy...

Would any of these issues provide advanced warning. A quick search seems to show the engine block crack is pretty instantaneous...

The block crack is almost 100% heat stress related. Change T-Stat and drop 5~10* on coolant temp and I'll bet it will not happen ...

I will be hopping on a plane to Rochester on Saturday. This will let me see my Mom for Mother's Day and get some Country Sweet wings. I am doing some work on their house in trade for the car. As it turns out , the have free lifetime oil changes, so they have never missed one, with likely interval around 4k

I will know the full maintenance history soon, but I expect no big issues.

I hate to be crude & rude , but to me not changing the filter when I change the oil would be like going to the bathroom and not using toilet paper .

I have bought wuite a few filters on RockAuto.com . Sometimes at " regular " price . Which is about 1/2 at the local sources . Some on close out , at a very attractive price .

Also , watch the monthly sales at Advance Auto Parts . Get oil + plus filter at a very reasonable price .

As far as mess , it is very little extra mess tj drop the filter & install a new one , if you already have the tools , drain pan & rag out , to change the oil .

God bless
Wyr

Update on the car. All brakes done and fluid completely flushed to new.

Motor mount appears to be on the last legs and it looks to be an easy and affordable swap to do with the next oil change. Looking to do mount and torque strut mount at the same time.

Will be running M1 5w20 HM and M1 filters purchased with rebate. Only got HM as it was $3 less per jug than the other flavors.

No sign of the engine cracking issue and it has been through some massive heat cycles in Rochester.

ATF drain an fills looks relatively easy and will do three in rapid succession this summer. After that, it will be life according the MM which I think should yield a minimum of 7500 mile OCIs based upon my habits(first 10% drop on MM occurred around 1k miles, checked only at fill ups, 7.5-10k?).

@Wyrtwister - I understand that many societies shower at least twice a day, perhaps you should look into that also? Honda specs filter changes with OEM level filters every other change, I figure that I am already exceeding this requirement by a lot and changing it more often would be spending even more on an ecobox that is unwarranted. I do realize that I am already overspending, but this one is within the comfort limits and quite safe to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back