Neighborhood Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you live in CA, wash your car whenever the power and water actually is on and working! Just kidding. You could get one of those nice electric PWs like obsessed garage guy sells for lots of money. Perfectly quiet and designed for car wash.

I guarantee your neighbors will do many things to annoy you so don't worry about quietly washing a car.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I assumed the dishes comment was with a window or door open. Otherwise, everyone has poor insulation.

I wouldn't ask the neighbors anything. If it bothers someone, let them approach you.

If I'm polishing or waxing a car I'm more likely to do it after 8 PM, once the children have gone to bed and I have plenty of time to work without interruption. My air compressor cycles from time to time when I blow out pads - if it doesn't wake my wife or children, it's not too loud for the neighbors.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I'm in a nicer neighborhood, lake view with a lot of $150-$250K houses - mine excluded, and all of the neighbors seem to have the mindset of "If it's not happening on my property it's not my concern". I like it like that. Once in a while one of the neighbors is a bit loud at night. Once in a while I'm loud at night. Everyone so far seems to be reasonable.

I'm in a similar situation and I count myself blessed.

I want to be blessed also. What town is this? I can sell my house on Long island a be a great neighbor and put about 600k profit under the mattress.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
what is a higher-end neighborhood ?

Apparently, one where you have to be concerned about washing your car in your driveway.
Originally Posted by The Critic

The question: I like to wash my cars at night, usually between 8 -10pm.

Whatever the accepted cutoff time is around there for calling someone in the evening, maybe follow that. You know, "Honey, is it too late to call that guy about that thing?" "No, it's only 8:55pm. Cutoff time for not disturbing someone in the evening with a phone call is 9pm."

Would think the driveway lights would annoy neighbors more than a garden hose and bucket noise.

Having said all that, I'd have a hard time asking my neighbors if it's ok to wash my car in my driveway, regardless of the time. It's not like I'm wanting to mow the lawn at 2am.

I don't know if it needs a new thread, but it might be good to discus how late is ok for the OP to shoot guns in his backyard. OP, how late do you currently shoot guns in your backyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back