Neighborhood Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Got to wonder what kind of life OP has, feeling like he is walking on eggshells anytime he is outside the house. What happens when you have to mow the lawn? Ask the neighbours for permission? And heaven forbid you pull out the leaf blower, call for police to stand by?

.. and people wonder why I live in unincorporated county right up next to a Natl. Forest.... I could fire up the chainsaw at midnight and nobody would care....

As long as you don't wear a wife beater and cut off jean shorts it is okay. Washing cars is generally a quiet activity.

No children or dogs in neighborhood? My kids are pretty noisy in backyard and I abutt $1M homes two sides when median home price in town is $475k.

Bigfoot?

Some say he's out there..my trail cam ain't got him yet either!...‚...‚

Originally Posted by madRiver
As long as you don't wear a wife beater and cut off jean shorts it is okay. Washing cars is generally a quiet activity.

No children or dogs in neighborhood? My kids are pretty noisy in backyard and I abutt $1M homes two sides when median home price in town is $475k.

I washed my car once.. didn't go see well....‚

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I couldn't image washing cars in the night. Are you a vampire?

Sunlight burns!

The sun's brutal out west! It's really tough to keep the car from drying and water spotting if you're in direct sun.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and advice.

OP said 8-10pm. Where in Cali is the sun out at that time? It's pitch black by 5pm here.

Have you heard of lights?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and advice.

OP said 8-10pm. Where in Cali is the sun out at that time? It's pitch black by 5pm here.

Have you heard of lights?
lol.gif

Then you have the neighbours complaining of bright lights shining in their windows, at least if they are bright enough to replicate daylight and let you see what you are washing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Originally Posted by Miller88
I'm in a nicer neighborhood, lake view with a lot of $150-$250K houses - mine excluded, and all of the neighbors seem to have the mindset of "If it's not happening on my property it's not my concern". I like it like that. Once in a while one of the neighbors is a bit loud at night. Once in a while I'm loud at night. Everyone so far seems to be reasonable.

I'm in a similar situation and I count myself blessed.

With that said, whenever I've seen anyone out in their yard, I have asked them to let me know if I'm doing something they don't like and I'll change what I'm doing. I don't want to get any angry neighbors.

We also have a bar in the neighborhood and a race track. I think that helps.

I'd get one of those nozzles that has the "rain" setting and use that.

The problem with all these bad[censored] comments about bigger issues, your yard, etc is you don't know what may bother someone and what may not, or if a lot of little things may add up to a big annoyance and it's just not worth getting someone all ruffled if you have (practically) to live there. If everyone leaned towards the too-polite side, there'd be a lot less bickering.

Last edited:
Washing a car isn't a big deal.

Around here, making lots of noise after around 8-8:30 +/- (little later in the summer, little earlier in the winter) is frowned upon, at least during the week. Outdoor celebrations on the weekend in a backyard, assuming not too loud and once in a long while is ok..

Someone else mentioned about a pressure washer. I like to dry my cars with a leaf blower, so I'll always be sure to be relatively early if using that. Ditto if I was using a buffing machine.

One difference around here in older neighborhoods, compared to what I see of most newer construction and homes in CA, is that garages are (often by zoning and regulation) required to be behind homes. My stone garage is behind my home in the backyard.

So if I was to do work in there (eg buffing my car with a machine), late (but still not after 9 or 10 most likely), I'd not be concerned. Working in my driveway or out in the street would be a different situation. Still, I'd want to be careful about echo and noise thst could bother neighbors.

If the homes aren't well insulated so you can really hear what's going on in there (I.e. not just a matter of windows open on a nice night), I'd be more concerned about what I did late, even if it was in a closed garage (thinking of your quickjack thread).

The fact that you're asking at all means that you're more thoughtful and considerate than 99% of the people out there.

New guy on the block, washing cars at night, your gonna be that guy to the neighbors
lol.gif

What happens in a neighborhood like that when someone buys a Harley? Are you not allowed to come home from work after 8pm or leave at 5:30 each morning to head to work? My neighbor is a chainsaw artist and we love him.best neighbor you could ever have! Neighbors all around me cut split and burn firewood. The mowers start running at 8:00 am in the summer months. The snow blowers, atv's with plows, skid steers run pretty much when ever the snow stops in the winter months. I usually start plowing everybody out at 4am and seldom am I the first one running. Neighbor kids are always playing in their yard with something. Dogs barking occasionally. And on and on. I know and like every neighbor within 1000 feet of my place. We rotate block party cookouts between several of us all summer long. People are just different in different parts of this country.

Yep, that's why the outboard motor companies wised up and put in flush connections that don't require the motor to be started up at 9 pm after the fish are on ice and tow is complete …
(And while it quietly removes salt, you sprinkle some on the lime, LoL)

Originally Posted by P10crew
What happens in a neighborhood like that when someone buys a Harley? Are you not allowed to come home from work after 8pm or leave at 5:30 each morning to head to work? My neighbor is a chainsaw artist and we love him.best neighbor you could ever have! Neighbors all around me cut split and burn firewood. The mowers start running at 8:00 am in the summer months. The snow blowers, atv's with plows, skid steers run pretty much when ever the snow stops in the winter months. I usually start plowing everybody out at 4am and seldom am I the first one running. Neighbor kids are always playing in their yard with something. Dogs barking occasionally. And on and on. I know and like every neighbor within 1000 feet of my place. We rotate block party cookouts between several of us all summer long. People are just different in different parts of this country.

We know most everyone within a few blocks... small town living.

A snow day when things need to get cleared is a pretty different story than when folks are lying in bed at 10pm, and someone is out hammering or doing something else noisy...

Kids playing here is the norm too. People move here for families and schools. But kids out playing and being loud at 10pm is another set of concerns.

Riding a loud motorcycle is a one time a day noise, not a continuous noise making close to neighbors late at night. And, if someone was revving up and down an obnoxiously loud motorcycle late at night in their driveway, or something like that, it is pretty darn inconsiderate. It could be even if they just up and left. One would hope they don't go full bore the second they pull out, on their street.

There are ways to be considerate, and ways to be a jerk. Hopefully people are trying to be considerate, as OP is, not trying to find every what if reason why being noisy is justified.

I work with several HD guys/gals that don't mess with the exhaust. But, have one neighbor who has pulled down his mufflers for "screaming moron" pipes. If I ever wind up with stage 4 cancer, uh, never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back