Need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty year old Camry.
wink.gif

I vote for two vehicles, but that is just me. Cheapo sedan for mundane driving, and the truck for when the need arises or I just feel like it.

Skip the FIT there are far better and more comfortable cars for your type of commute. It will get old in FIT and you'll be back on what to get next. I'd look for a really comfy sedan that suits your fancy as they cheap at the moment as SUV are the making sedans less desirable.

You could also just hang onto the F150. Skip two cars unless you have money to torch and garage space to fill.

It's not the most economical choice, but if already have a paid off truck, my preference would be to keep the truck and buy a cheap sedan to run around in.

Maybe try a golf sport wagon if you want some fun with some cargo space? I recall that is has the same cargo space as a RAM short box with a bed cover and the side boxes... Also with wagon you can get a quiet factory roof rack which lets you carry long stuff pretty easily.

I daily drive a truck and my wife has the 30mpg highway Subaru. I need a truck enough to own one but I hate commuting in it. I was recently given a 94 Crown Vic and I love it! It's only worth $800 but it drives so quiet and smooth, gets 20mpg vs the truck at 14mpg. The truck is collecting dust now. Buy a used sedan for cheap and enjoy.

Driving a truck is foolish if you never actually haul anything in it. Sell it and get something that suits your needs better. Sounds like an AWD SUV/CUV would suit your needs well. Maybe buy a utility trailer to tow behind it for the rare occasion you need to move something large. A trailer is way cheaper to buy and maintain than a truck/extra vehicle. Or just rent a truck or trailer when you need one. You can rent a pickup at any Home Depot, dirt cheap.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Everybody on this board drives either a Honda Fit or a Subaru of some kind. I can't understand it. I'd be thoroughly impressed if somebody bought a Cadillac.

Prepare to be impressed: my wife and I just traded in a Subaru for a Cadillac 2 weeks ago.

I say get a CUV then a small trailer in the future if you feel you need to haul things. I love my 5x8 trailer. It doesn't mind sitting for long periods of time and is easy to hook up when I need it. I don't mind trucks but I would HATE daily driving one with an empty bed 98% of the time.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Skip the FIT there are far better and more comfortable cars for your type of commute. It will get old in FIT and you'll be back on what to get next. I'd look for a really comfy sedan that suits your fancy as they cheap at the moment as SUV are the making sedans less desirable.

You could also just hang onto the F150. Skip two cars unless you have money to torch and garage space to fill.

OP,
I drive a Toyota Yaris Sedan. It is just a bit more insulated than the Fit.
But, If you are in it for the long run, here are my numbers:
I bought it new (~$17k), paid 2 years the notes, then paid it off. only tires (4-once), oil+filters(3-6k miles), 1air filter and atf (I wanted to change it)
It is now with us in year 9, at around 57k miles.

This type of cars, if you have family or fiends with you, or just luggage/gear is not really confy to drive for long rides.

If you really want better, go up in class for the likes of Fusion/Fusion hybrid. they hold for a long time, drive better, more comfortable chairs.

Or just get a wagon used/new

But if you can make due with your truck, gas may be less then car payments + full coverage insurance.

Whatever you test, make sure you test it in the conditions you will be using it; if cars salesman gives you rough time, remind who has the money and who will be using it for a long time.

Good luck with your decision

I would just keep the truck. Not that much difference with gas to justify a loss and another payment. FWIW I commute in a 20 mpg Mustang GT and Challenger (22 mpg avg) and drive 40 miles each way 3X a week. Still not a measurable loss of gas money considering income vs. other bills.

Maybe what I will do is keep the truck for another year or so and just save the cash that would normally go to a car payment. Then reevaluate my situation and see what I need. Then whatever I need to do I'll have a nice little bit saved up to use.

Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My sister has a 2017 Impreza. I really like her car except for one thing, it needs more power. She doesn't care that it's slow. The Crosstek weighs even more so I'd hate to imagine that. I think your setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you are speaking of the 2.5 I agree. I'm in the northeast and it's hilly in the mts. I find the 3.6 adequate with the weight of the OB. JUST ADEQUATE certainly no thriller. But Subby is like buying a Camry; meaning vanilla ice cream with no sprinkles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back