need legal advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: marine65
I was served a court summons ......

Make an appointment with a real lawyer, licensed to practice law in your state, without delay.

Get legal advice form a professional ASAP.
"The debts were listed on it were from 5 claims", could this be failure for your medical insurance to pay the medical bills ?
Are you aware of any unpaid invoices (that were not covered by your insurance) ?

I often listen to Dave Ramsey and have heard similar type cases on his show. Could be some bottom feeding debt collection company that is has bought some old debt for pennies on the dollar. Dave R says that when dealing with debt collectors you should always get everything in writing and get original receipt documents showing proof of debt. Basically if their lips are moving they are lying. Could be that the statute of limitations is up also and they debt collectors are trying to reset the debt clock. Might be best to consult a lawyer on this one as state debt laws often vary so much.

I was served a court summons for unpaid medical bills.
The summons had no case number on it.
I checked the court docket and it would not show my name with out putting in a case number.
The debts were listed on it were from 5 claims and the total amount was on there.
Can they really sue for 5 debts on the same summons?
this is in Colorado.

Go into the court. You need to know.(learn the laws in your state)
Al Davis "You don't adjust, you just dominate.
Always try to know more than the next guy.
Just the other day I was talking to a guy who didn't get his tax return money. They grabbed it.
You can also wake up one day and find no money in your bank account.

My retirement job is serving these type of summonses. What I always advice:

1) Contact your attorney ASAP and let him see what's in the summons
2) Contact your county's Circuit Clerk's office to see when your case comes before small claims
3) Work out something so your next summons in not a garnishment that you had no part of.

God Bless you, I'm serious I have so many ppl burned by medical debt that I just want to pray for the person. So many of these ppl are at the end of ropes and are about to break.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I often listen to Dave Ramsey and have heard similar type cases on his show. Could be some bottom feeding debt collection company that is has bought some old debt for pennies on the dollar. Dave R says that when dealing with debt collectors you should always get everything in writing and get original receipt documents showing proof of debt. Basically if their lips are moving they are lying. Could be that the statute of limitations is up also and they debt collectors are trying to reset the debt clock. Might be best to consult a lawyer on this one as state debt laws often vary so much.

Since when is there a statue of limitations on debt? You have a medical procedure-and you didn't pay the bill. And an extended amount of time goes by and you don't owe the money?

What planet are we living on..........

Since when is there a statue of limitations on debt? You have a medical procedure-and you didn't pay the bill. And an extended amount of time goes by and you don't owe the money?

What planet are we living on..........[/quote]

Since the respective legislators in each state enacted these statute of limitations, that is when. Every state will vary in how long that is though. That is why it would likely be in the best interest of the OP to consult a lawyer and also ensure that the debt is valid. Even with insurance medical often overbills that is why you validate the debt first before paying a cent.

Since the respective legislators in each state enacted these statute of limitations, that is when. Every state will vary in how long that is though. That is why it would likely be in the best interest of the OP to consult a lawyer and also ensure that the debt is valid. Even with insurance medical often overbills that is why you validate the debt first before paying a cent. [/quote]

Sorry-your "debt" never goes away. It will be public record. It will look real nice if you apply for a job-they check your credit (Standard Operating Procedure for many employers) and there is substantial unpaid debt.

https://www.growingfamilybenefits.com/medical-debt-ever-go-away/

Originally Posted By: CKN

Since the respective legislators in each state enacted these statute of limitations, that is when. Every state will vary in how long that is though. That is why it would likely be in the best interest of the OP to consult a lawyer and also ensure that the debt is valid. Even with insurance medical often overbills that is why you validate the debt first before paying a cent.

Sorry-your "debt" never goes away. It will be public record. It will look real nice if you apply for a job-they check your credit (Standard Operating Procedure for many employers) and there is substantial unpaid debt.

https://www.growingfamilybenefits.com/medical-debt-ever-go-away/[/quote]

Well, it may not go away but millions of people who have been bankrupt are employed and have good jobs, it is not a crime to have been in debt or have been bankrupt. But just like I stated and the hyperlink you attached it varies by state. My dad used to manage apartments and they had software and websites not available to the public to check credit of potential tenants. That is one reason most places require a deposit equal to a months rent. Medical bills can sink many people financially even with insurance, so just because someone has been overwhelmed with medical debt and cannot afford to pay it does not make them a criminal.

Originally Posted By: CKN

https://www.growingfamilybenefits.com/medical-debt-ever-go-away/

Well, it may not go away but millions of people who have been bankrupt are employed and have good jobs, it is not a crime to have been in debt or have been bankrupt. But just like I stated and the hyperlink you attached it varies by state. My dad used to manage apartments and they had software and websites not available to the public to check credit of potential tenants. That is one reason most places require a deposit equal to a months rent. Medical bills can sink many people financially even with insurance, so just because someone has been overwhelmed with medical debt and cannot afford to pay it does not make them a criminal. [/quote]

Yes-the LEGAL LIMITATIONS differ by state-but not your record of said debt.

Yes the LEGAL LIMITATIONS differ by state-but not your record of said debt.[/quote]

Of course it stays on record, who is disputing that??

After breast cancer/surgeries for my wife and the untold 1000's I was billed, I learned a couple of things....1st: hospitals/doctors can NOT charge you interest on any unpaid medical bills. 2nd: they will drop that amount significantly if you tell them you can afford to pay XXX right now and 3rd: As long as you're making payments, and doesn't matter how much, they can NOT come after you for payment. Trust me, it works. I've been paying 20 bucks a month for some of my wives surgeries for the last umpteen years and they can not do a thing. I'll get the occasional email that starts off like this....we understand your difficulties, but if you can pay us XXX we will close the account. Screw that, I can afford 20 a month for the rest of my life. We also have and had Federal BCBC that paid them a LOT of money, but they wanted every nickel and dime that wasn't covered with BCBS. Also, get an itemized billing for EVERYTHING. No joke, one hospital charged 50 dollars for a tube of chap stick, exact same thing is at Walgreens for 1.50.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
After breast cancer/surgeries for my wife and the untold 1000's I was billed, I learned a couple of things....1st: hospitals/doctors can NOT charge you interest on any unpaid medical bills. 2nd: they will drop that amount significantly if you tell them you can afford to pay XXX right now and 3rd: As long as you're making payments, and doesn't matter how much, they can NOT come after you for payment. Trust me, it works. I've been paying 20 bucks a month for some of my wives surgeries for the last umpteen years and they can not do a thing. I'll get the occasional email that starts off like this....we understand your difficulties, but if you can pay us XXX we will close the account. Screw that, I can afford 20 a month for the rest of my life. We also have and had Federal BCBC that paid them a LOT of money, but they wanted every nickel and dime that wasn't covered with BCBS. Also, get an itemized billing for EVERYTHING. No joke, one hospital charged 50 dollars for a tube of chap stick, exact same thing is at Walgreens for 1.50.

Overbilling is quite common in that industry.The entire system lacks transparency, standardization and comprehensive patient protection. Meidical bills are more complex and confusing than a cell phone bill and that takes some doing.

the collection agency is willing is waive the attorney fee of $250.
the debt is $1912.58
they will take $1670
this is causing both my wife and me a lot of stress.
we are thinking about just paying it and moving on.
and we are on the court docket.

Whatever figure you settle on, best get it in writing as Dave Ramsey has often said about collection agencies, " "When their lips are moving they are lying"
BTW many Dave Ramsey You Tube be videos about how to negotiate debt settlements with creditors and collection offices. Often settlements are about 50% to 70 % of original balance. The collectors often buy this debt for mere pennies on the dollar, even if they only got 1/2 of that $1912.68 they are still making a huge profit.

the collection agency is willing is waive the attorney fee of $250.
the debt is $1912.58
they will take $1670
this is causing both my wife and me a lot of stress.
we are thinking about just paying it and moving on.
and we are on the court docket.

If your on the court docket-and you legitimately owe the money-yes you need to pay it.

Debt doesn't go away. You should have worked something out when the bill came in the mail after the services were performed-if you didn't have the money then. It never would have gotten to this point. Your "stress" is "self imposed".

Last edited:
My wife was on the hook for expenses for her parents medical/nursing home care. There was a disagreement on Medicare and Blue Cross responsibilities. Unbeknownst to me, while it was being sorted out, she got a judgement against her.
The lawyer for the facility was not very cooperative. She bypassed him and negotiated a reduced settlement directly with the nursing home. He was very unhappy, but couldn't do anything about it.
If I were you, I'd try negotiating directly with the hospital. If they can't or won't do it, pay the collection agency the negotiated amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back