Need help with choosing a Ram 1500 Configuration

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Well since no one else has said it, that's a lot to spend on a truck to go to Home Depot and the dump when a trailer and a hitch on a Camry could do the same thing.

That being said get 4wd. You'll almost never use it but if you don't get it you'll always wish you had. It should help at resale time and you don't want to be the only one at Home Depot without it.

Because throwing a bunch of wood in the back of a Camry seems like a pleasant experience, or the tiny 1,000lb towing capacity, of which 60-80% of that 1,000lbs would be eaten up by a 6x10 trailer. What a ridiculous statement.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Dave Smith in Kellogg,Idaho. Check their specials on the web. They have a new 2wd hemi regular cab for $26k and the base model 4x4 isn't much more.

I need a full-sized backseat.

Originally Posted by Uregina09
Have you considered ordering exactly what you want? I've factory ordered our last four vehicles.....it's exciting and you get exactly what you want. /quote]
I have, but the best available price on a special order is 3-4% below invoice. Inventory cars are almost 10% below invoice.

donnyj08 said:
Given only a $6,000 spread between a 2wd Bighorn or a fully loaded 4x4 Laramie id choose the Laramie.

You may not need 4x4, but even in rain putting a truck in "auto" mode can provide more traction on Hilly wet roads. Especially during the first few minutes of rain where the oil in the pavement is raising to the top creating a slick surface. I'm not sure about your area, but I find "auto" 4wd useful in Cincinnati when it rains. There are a few areas where a stoplight is on a steep grade and 2wd will spin often if the pavement is wet. I'll switch over to "auto" and that keeps the rear end from getting loose.

You bring up a fair point. In regards to the $6k spread, the equipment level of the Laramie is mostly comparable to the Bighorn Level 2. The Laramie I selected is a base model Laramie without any options.

Originally Posted by CT8
Have you taken each one for a good test drive?
My F150 is 2 wheel drive and the wife's F350 is 4X4.

I have driven the 3.92/4x4 combo, but not the 3.21/4x2 combo.

Originally Posted by Rand
how much off msrp are those? I'm seeing 8000 on laramie and 12-14k on bighorn here.

Bighorn is $6k dealer discount and $6-$7k in rebates. Laramie is $7k dealer discount and $3k in rebates.

Out of those - B.

Because no anti spin is a deal breaker. I think the Night package improves the look. The e-tourqe isn't something i would likely choose.

Well since no one else has said it, that's a lot to spend on a truck to go to Home Depot and the dump when a trailer and a hitch on a Camry could do the same thing.

Want to say most Camry's are rated for only 1k towing? Something like that.

Never stopped me of course, and 1k (500 for trailer, 500 load?) is still likely "good enough" for most people and most small jobs.

That being said get 4wd. You'll almost never use it but if you don't get it you'll always wish you had. It should help at resale time and you don't want to be the only one at Home Depot without it.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
I owned. 4x8 trailer I'm the past. Regret selling it.
So much easier to load stuff on and off.
Now I have a 4x4 truck that only gets it into 4 wheel drive every couple months so expensive parts don't seize up.

As much as those 3 deals seem decent for this segment of vehicle, I couldn't allow myself to do it.

You can find one year old Ram 1500s with crew cab, 4x4 and Hemi for under $30K. I've seen classics like that in the $25K range. They're not going to have the tech and gadgets of the above A, B and C though.

One more thing: you can always add the trailer brake controller after the fact. ~$200 on ebay, plug and play except you will need to have a dealer program the computer to recognize the brake controller.
It was easy to install.

With this type of activism mindset why are you commenting here? A country in South America who needs your expertise and insight.

Originally Posted by JTK
As much as those 3 deals seem decent for this segment of vehicle, I couldn't allow myself to do it.

You can find one year old Ram 1500s with crew cab, 4x4 and Hemi for under $30K. I've seen classics like that in the $25K range. They're not going to have the tech and gadgets of the above A, B and C though.

There are 2019's with identical packages but the consumer wants a 2020 let him splurge. He has the means let him be happy.

OP, I found the best deal at Dennis Dillon in Caldwell, Idaho.

As for which configuration to buy, I'd suggest if cost isn't a primary concern, buying whichever configuration you really want.

Originally Posted by supton

Never stopped me of course, and 1k (500 for trailer, 500 load?) is still likely "good enough" for most people and most small jobs.

A class 1 hitch is good for 2k lbs, and the car manufacturers tow rating is for their warranty. You legally can tow probably up near 3k lbs unbraked(depending on your state) with anything. In Ontario its 2990lbs unbraked, as long as the towing equipment is rated for that(trailer, receiver, ball, etc), the car manufacturers tow recommendations aren't mentioned in our highway traffic act. Almost no car or truck made has anywhere near a 2990lb unbraked trailer tow recommendation from the car manufacturer, but that would be the most popular trailer rating sold trailer in Ontario...
Is it a good idea to tow near 3k lbs unbraked, with a 3k lbs vehicle, not really, but its legal if you have the right equipment.

As for the truck, I'd go for the cheaper 4wd and spend the difference on something fun to put in the bed, dirt bike, mountain bike, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyIan
Originally Posted by supton

A class 1 hitch is good for 2k lbs, and the car manufacturers tow rating is for their warranty. You legally can tow probably up near 3k lbs unbraked(depending on your state) with anything. In Ontario its 2990lbs unbraked, as long as the towing equipment is rated for that(trailer, receiver, ball, etc), the car manufacturers tow recommendations aren't mentioned in our highway traffic act. Almost no car or truck made has anywhere near a 2990lb unbraked trailer tow recommendation from the car manufacturer, but that would be the most popular trailer rating sold trailer in Ontario...
Is it a good idea to tow near 3k lbs unbraked, with a 3k lbs vehicle, not really, but its legal if you have the right equipment.

As for the truck, I'd go for the cheaper 4wd and spend the difference on something fun to put in the bed, dirt bike, mountain bike, etc...

Still doesn't change the fact that Toyota says "Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing." Using a Camry to tow practically anything is like using a hammer to drive in a screw. It'll work, but a screwdriver works better.

I went with Option A. Ended up paying $33k+tax. Very happy with the truck so far.

Ultimately, I decided that satisfying the needs was more sensible than satisfying the wants.

Back