C&D 2019 RAM DT Long-Term Test

I would need a better reason to take the time and drive than proving things on the internet. The city driving would hurt the average. It also gets bad mileage in heavy winds. I did a trip to Wendover and back when the winds were crazy and got 15. The route i take somewhat often is 40 miles each way to slc and back to utah county about 75 mpg and both the digital meter and hand fill calculations put it in the average of 19, some trips can be 20 or 18. The biggest difference truck to truck is tires. I run LTX and they roll easy. If i had all terrains or mud terrains i would lose 2-3 mpg. My truck had 70k miles put on in a little over 2 years by 1st owner so its well broken in. I also take my dmax van on similar route and it also gets 19 mpg in a 2wd van chassis. Pretty impressive for both in my opinion.

I'm averaging the same as you 100% in-town at the moment, 3.92's with limited slip, crew cab 4x4, 91 octane loaded including panoramic moonroof. The RAM yields better mileage than the Tundra. I can get low 20's on the highway. The RAM gets pretty decent mileage in its current incarnation for a full-sized pick-up.

That's not bad at all since it has 3.92's.. Tundra with the 4.30's hurts...
Also I have 500 pounds extra weight and just under 100 more cubic inches.
If you can get 20 on the hwy. you can't ask for more.

My truck is a 4x4 max tow equipped 6.2 liter 2016 model, so it has the big mirrors and lower gears. When it was stock, 23 mpg highway was common. Now its lifted on 35" tall michelins and dropped to 19 highway. The power is also very satisfying. Being able to drive around with no effort at all and light throttle positions is great. I just wish i had this engine, the ford body, and the ram interior all in one truck.

Edit: IT should be noted that the 6.2 fuel economy is accomplished on premium fuel.
My son has that same truck and is looking for larger tires. What size are you running?

And no one realized this might be a problem?
This isn’t new. Aluminum heads have been on various cars since the 1920s.

The differential expansion between iron manifolds and aluminum heads has been addressed through good design for roughly the last Hundred years.

If manifolds are cracking, they’re either poorly designed, or poorly made.

This isn’t new. Aluminum heads have been on various cars since the 1920s.

The differential expansion between iron manifolds and aluminum heads has been addressed through good design for roughly the last Hundred years.

If manifolds are cracking, they’re either poorly designed, or poorly made.
I think some fell victim to the ”ratings war” … customers are in such a ”good & better” mode these days … give me more HP … more tow capacity etc … a good number of issues happens with the maxed out tow crowd.
(that for general interest safety needed an HD truck)
I never had these issues.

My son has that same truck and is looking for larger tires. What size are you running?
its the 35x12.50x20 michelin LTX series, in actual measurement its about 34.5", truck is lifted about 4.5" to allow this to clear on stock wheels. This tire gives up some offroad capability vs all terrains but its dead quiet. It can still travel offroad well and i don't purposefully go "diggin" so i'm happy with them. They've worn very well for the 6-7k miles on them now. Pre lift, it had some LT 265 60 20 michelin LTX that were fairly worn. That is a 32.5" tall tire and about as far as you can go on stock suspension.

and in case Sloinker was curious, i did do a black bear performance ECU TCU tune with a 34.5" tire size set, so the odometer tracks exactly as it should. Often people put a larger, offroadsy tire on w/o an odometer programming and it appears that the fuel economy is far lower because the mileage is under reported.

I would need a better reason to take the time and drive than proving things on the internet. The city driving would hurt the average. It also gets bad mileage in heavy winds. I did a trip to Wendover and back when the winds were crazy and got 15. The route i take somewhat often is 40 miles each way to slc and back to utah county about 75 mpg and both the digital meter and hand fill calculations put it in the average of 19, some trips can be 20 or 18. The biggest difference truck to truck is tires. I run LTX and they roll easy. If i had all terrains or mud terrains i would lose 2-3 mpg. My truck had 70k miles put on in a little over 2 years by 1st owner so its well broken in. I also take my dmax van on similar route and it also gets 19 mpg in a 2wd van chassis. Pretty impressive for both in my opinion.

All talk.
SLC to Wendover and back is a non starter. There is nowhere on earth that is billiard table flat and straight as a rail for 125 miles. Not typical freeway driving.
How about SLC to Evanston, Wyoming and back at posted speed limits? This is a real world freeway challenge. If it's wind in your face one direction it's wind at your back the other. Uphill one way and down hill coming back. I don't think you will get a minimum of 19 MPG. Tires at placard pressure. Regular unleaded with up to 10% ethanol. I will pay for the gas. No stripped weight. Vehicle in everyday driving trim in all ways, mechanically and electronically.
I will follow and videotape periodically to ensure compliance and fuel filling procedure. We can recruit a neutral third party to hold and disburse the cash.
$500/per 1 mpg over 19 up to $2500. 18.5-19.5 is 19, 19.6-20.6 is 20.....easy money for you. In the unlikely event you don't achieve the 19 mpg the disbursing agent will be the neutral third and will pay me $500 per mpg of your money for mileage that doesn't achieve the benchmark.

What do you think? My company sends me to SLC fairly often or I can always make a special trip in the interest of science. I could ride with you or follow in my rental car. I can do it midweek or within the month to keep it fresh. Throw out some dates. We will have to find someone along the route that is a Bitoger as the referee. Sounds fun and may be lucrative.

Well, my truck would not qualify for your event because it has modified tires, suspension, ECU and TCU programming. It also is a premium fuel recommended engine so running it on regular would not be ideal. Also when i went to Wendover it was a nasty side blowing wind so it hurt us going both ways. My normal highway runs of 40 miles each way and about 2 miles offramp/city are not flat nor straight. They are also subject to traffic slowing to a stop at times. They are certainly not driven without A/C or slower than traffic for the purposes of attaining unrealistic numbers. The return 40 miles normally has hundreds of extra pounds of cargo.

If you really want to, one of these days, i'd be willing to do a 50 mile each way run southbound I15 to Nephi and back and we can see what she does Orem Costco fill up, drive to Nephi, and back to the same pump at Costco. This would give us all we needed to know. Or you could just watch all the TFL youtube videos where they do a similar thing in Colorado with several different trucks and the GM's win.

View attachment 28726
Thats my truck, adjustable BDS lift with just enough to clear those michelin 35x12.50x20s. It runs dead silent and smooth down the highway. It's got a diamondback hard tonneau cover not sure if thats helping or hurting aero. When i say it gets 19 mpg, it really does, and thats at normal highway limits of 75 mph. If one were to roll down a slow 2 lane of say 50 mph, it could pull that in 4 cylinder mode and average something in the 30s. 40 mph? 35 mpg easily on 4 cylinder. Its the SLT trim but not heavily optioned, no sunroof, just the 6.2, NHT max tow, and the slightly upgraded NAV radio but no bose.

I recall your Bro-truck rant thread from a few years back, and now you're driving one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/commuting-in-a-bro-truck-rant.251548/

I recall your Bro-truck rant thread from a few years back, and now you're driving one?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/commuting-in-a-bro-truck-rant.251548/
Guilty, although i do not daily drive it, and it does not have bro tires. It's mostly a family recreational vehicle.

I really like the Colorado ZR2 but needed more interior space, so this was my attempt to recreate it in a full size. It could have been lifted higher but i just went high enough. Never owned a lifted truck before, so i wanted to experience. For my next truck, i'l probably leave it stock.

I love how people justify things for themselves, but not others...
The text of my rant indicated that i did not agree with commuting constantly in such modified trucks. Never did i have any issues with somebody owning it just does not really need to driven everywhere consuming tons of fuel.

Also my truck is very tame for this area. Most people just think its a 3/4 ton stock truck. We have plenty of 8+ lfited 3/4 tons with 37" tires or bigger like its just an every day thing.

Okay, check out a stock 3/4 ton, look at where the running board is in relation to the center of the wheels.
24140577085.jpg

Its about dead even or slightly above the centerline of the wheels. 20" wheels, stock 3/4 ton.

My truck pre lift and just after being polished..
IMG-0884.jpg

Its pretty low. That running board is below the centerline significantly.

Picture taken just after lift was completed:
IMG-1031.jpg

Running board is slightly above the centerline of the wheels, probably 1" higher than a stock 3/4 ton. So if you wanna call this a bro truck i will let you. I consider it tastefully upgraded. The suspension damping is unreal.

Well, my truck would not qualify for your event because it has modified tires, suspension, ECU and TCU programming. It also is a premium fuel recommended engine so running it on regular would not be ideal. Also when i went to Wendover it was a nasty side blowing wind so it hurt us going both ways. My normal highway runs of 40 miles each way and about 2 miles offramp/city are not flat nor straight. They are also subject to traffic slowing to a stop at times. They are certainly not driven without A/C or slower than traffic for the purposes of attaining unrealistic numbers. The return 40 miles normally has hundreds of extra pounds of cargo.

If you really want to, one of these days, i'd be willing to do a 50 mile each way run southbound I15 to Nephi and back and we can see what she does Orem Costco fill up, drive to Nephi, and back to the same pump at Costco. This would give us all we needed to know. Or you could just watch all the TFL youtube videos where they do a similar thing in Colorado with several different trucks and the GM's win.

Moving the goalposts?
I figured as much. I'm guessing you would be willing to do a real world test if you can have someone pull your truck with a rope?

Moving the goalposts?
I figured as much. I'm guessing you would be willing to do a real world test if you can have someone pull your truck with a rope?
It's not moving the goal posts, its just a loop that would be close to my house. I would have zero want to go to rock springs or evanston wyoming. The next time i get the chance to go on a family trip, and we end up taking the truck instead of the TourX, i will gladly document the miles and gallons filled.

02SE you are also missing a critical component of a bro truck, must have really wide wheels that stick out a lot. Like this one, restored by the talented guy on Vtuned garage for example.

Capture.JPG

My truck, at best, is like Diet Bro truck, or Bro Junior.

Back