Need a tire rec - 09 Honda CRV

I knew about DT in Pittsburgh area, been there for a while now. I was unaware of the new AT stores in W-B and Scranton. Interesting they chose to go with the AT (vs DT) name, up till now mostly been used in the SW and West. But looking at the stores online, same design and color scheme as a brand-new DT store locally. Mostly white now as opposed to the traditional tan/beige with red of the past. I could see that area being easier to find more reasonably land locations for DT/AT stores. It's progress, slow but progress. Fwiw, after I posted I looked at the Milestar AW365 and thought that might be a good option to look at for the OP.

The Scranton/Wilkes stores only opened a few months ago. They use the AT name because Mavis was already using the name "Mavis Discount Tire" in the area, so they used the AT name instead.

The Scranton/Wilkes stores only opened a few months ago. They use the AT name because Mavis was already using the name "Mavis Discount Tire" in the area, so they used the AT name instead.
Good point! Locally, there's a relatively new Mavis tire store within short walking distance of a long time DT store, the one closest to me. I barely pay attention to the Mavis store. Here, DT stores were first, and they are not changing the name. The new DT store nearby, only been open a couple months, maybe.

I’ve had Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S tires on my 2009 CR-V since 2019. I’ve been happy with them, but I will eventually replace them with all weathers (probably either Nokian (lol) or the new Falken Aklimate).

Last edited:
It’s hard to beat Yokohama as a mid-to-upper tier tire, without being a premium cost. IME their manufacturing is super consistent and the value is high. I’ll also as a general rule mention the continental highway tire HT offering - a comfortable tire with superior rain grip. Our CRV (‘15) has a tendency to spin badly in the rain, so we bit the bullet and put Michelin CC2s on it. You might look at Verdstein as well. They seem lesser known and therefore charge less but the reviews in general are quite good.

Kuhmo lx platinum from Walmart quality budget tire better price then some no name tires. I have two sets on my daughter's Elantra hit 52k miles with minimal rotations removed them before winter but didn't hit the wear bars yet.

IMG_20220201_164306930.jpg

IMG_20240210_120741720.jpg

Kuhmo lx platinum from Walmart quality budget tire better price then some no name tires. I have two sets on my daughter's Elantra hit 52k miles with minimal rotations removed them before winter but didn't hit the wear bars yet.

View attachment 205728

View attachment 205729
Only thing worse than those tires in rain are tires treated with some oil to increase slipperiness.

We have the same conversation often on here (and other places). For me there are places to save and scrimp and then there are places I don’t like to. Tires being one I’d rather not scrimp when mine and my families are on them at 70mph in all weather and traffic conditions.

Yes budgets prevail and we all have our own priorities. How much are you saving by getting the budget ones? Plan is to get rid of the car but have plans ever changed and you ended up another year or 2? Mine have. I also bought IMO great tires (Nokian Winter) but car got totaled 2 months later. I sold the tires for almost what I paid since they were now on rims.

I saved a lot initially on my prorated GY winter ones. I spent more trying to fix the balance issues then if I had gotten different ones from Costco/TR/DTD on sale. Yes I could have had same issue but my other 3 cars with another brand haven’t.

We have the same conversation often on here (and other places). For me there are places to save and scrimp and then there are places I don’t like to. Tires being one I’d rather not scrimp when mine and my families are on them at 70mph in all weather and traffic conditions.

Yes budgets prevail and we all have our own priorities. How much are you saving by getting the budget ones? Plan is to get rid of the car but have plans ever changed and you ended up another year or 2? Mine have. I also bought IMO great tires (Nokian Winter) but car got totaled 2 months later. I sold the tires for almost what I paid since they were now on rims.

I saved a lot initially on my prorated GY winter ones. I spent more trying to fix the balance issues then if I had gotten different ones from Costco/TR/DTD on sale. Yes I could have had same issue but my other 3 cars with another brand haven’t.
OP stated "I dont want to spend Michelin Money"

That is not scimping.

Michelins have gone way up in price. It can be $100 more a tire to get a michelin compared to plenty of legitimate mainstream brands.

Thanks everybody - all good comments. Current tires are Nokian Entyre C/S (225/65R17). They have felt out of balance since new, and are loud, even though it's not a truck tire. I replaced all four struts - and it got worse. (Now crappy tires, with cheap struts). A CRV isn't exactly a 911 GT3, but I don't want to hop down the road on smooth pavement.

I have run some of the tires mentioned (Kumho, Yoks) before on other cars, but not in this size. The Yoks (AVID?) were really nice on my crappy old Malibu. (Better tire than car most likely).

The RT43 / 45's are a possibility too. I must have caught it at a weird time - when I looked at Walmart they were in the $180 range which seemed too high. I would rather hit a local shop than a chain, but will probably price out costco. I had good luck there before, but the wait is long (month) for appointments.

Still seeing 138$ maybe you clicked the add warranty or something?
Whats your nearby zip?

1709165250102.jpg

1709165280781.jpg

Whatever you do, Goodyear Assurance only if you want to die in that CRV.

It was well worth the extra $150 to get into Michelin Defenders, which are not that expensive for Michelins.

Thanks everybody - all good comments. Current tires are Nokian Entyre C/S (225/65R17). They have felt out of balance since new, and are loud, even though it's not a truck tire. I replaced all four struts - and it got worse. (Now crappy tires, with cheap struts). A CRV isn't exactly a 911 GT3, but I don't want to hop down the road on smooth pavement.

I have run some of the tires mentioned (Kumho, Yoks) before on other cars, but not in this size. The Yoks (AVID?) were really nice on my crappy old Malibu. (Better tire than car most likely).

The RT43 / 45's are a possibility too. I must have caught it at a weird time - when I looked at Walmart they were in the $180 range which seemed too high. I would rather hit a local shop than a chain, but will probably price out costco. I had good luck there before, but the wait is long (month) for appointments.
Maybe get a Roadforce balance? Some tires and wheels will have vibrations if they are even just a little out of round. Especially noticeable if the out of round spot was mounted on a high spot on the rim. Doesn't matter if you balance them conventionally. On another note, if you don't mind a long break-in time and rather average winter performance for a GT A/S tire, the Toyo Extensa ASIIs may be an option. Be wary though, the break-in is horrendous, but I say the tire afterwards is very nice for around town/mild spirited driving. Just make sure you order off of Tire Rack and have them RoadForce balanced. On my 04'. 2 of them were over 20lbs! Caused really bad vibrations over 40. Now they ride pretty smooth with just a tiny bit of vibration at 70 which is probably the Cardone Reman CV I put in.

Back