need a decent vac. cleaner............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, don't buy the one with a full 5 years of warranty!

Seriously, we use Dyson in a purely commercial environment and they are the most durable and best performing machines we have ever owned.

I wouldn't use anything else.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Seriously, we use Dyson in a purely commercial environment and they are the most durable and best performing machines we have ever owned.

Dyson? You mean the hipster vacs sold to soccer moms at target?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I believe SteveSRT8 is referring to the Dyson that is sold at Target + Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Best Buy, Costco, Meijer, Walmart, Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, and countless other stores that are on the National Retail Federation's Top 100 Retailers list. Are Soccer Moms a key demographic? Yes, but shouldn't they be? Who do you think the other vacuum cleaner brands are advertising to?

Originally Posted By: barlowc

I believe SteveSRT8 is referring to the Dyson that is sold at Target + Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Best Buy, Costco, Meijer, Walmart, Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, and countless other stores that are on the National Retail Federation's Top 100 Retailers list. Are Soccer Moms a key demographic? Yes, but shouldn't they be? Who do you think the other vacuum cleaner brands are advertising to?

Its fine if they are sold all over and to that demographic. It is just my read on it that they are trying to be trendy with oddball (maybe useful, maybe not) design approaches that deviate somewhat from the norm and also cost a lot of $$$. Not Im not compmplaining about the cost, I suck with a Miele, so I run a pricier vac too.

But it sure strikes me that dysons are trying to be cool and trendy.

Hope those buying dysons arent the same as those badmouthing apple
smile.gif

It is just my read on it that they are trying to be trendy with oddball (maybe useful, maybe not) design approaches that deviate somewhat from the norm and also cost a lot of $$$.

You mean like Apple?

Quote:

Hope those buying dysons arent the same as those badmouthing apple
smile.gif

Those buying Dyson are possibly the same as those buying Apple.
smile.gif
My wife surely fell head over heels for both. I can't stand either.

Miele is the new darling for the vacuum hipster. Dyson is so 5 years ago, back when every manufacturer was trying to copy Dyson's bagless design.

Expensive bagged vaccums are to vaccums as fixed gear bikes are to bicycles.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Miele is the new darling for the vacuum hipster. Dyson is so 5 years ago, back when every manufacturer was trying to copy Dyson's bagless design.

Expensive bagged vaccums are to vaccums as fixed gear bikes are to bicycles.

Glad I bought mine long ago... what bad do you have to say about panasonic while youre at it, since we have one of those... how about US made shop vacs while we are at it too?

I prefer the bag because there is no dust cloud and no residue to have to clean up. The remnant fines in the bagless that remain there are more prone to escape due to lack of filter cake equivalent. Ill take old fashioned bags any day, thank you very much, regardless of manufacturer.

I'm not say anything bad about Miele. When people start talking about vacuums, the name always comes up when it turns to high end sweepers. That didn't happen 5 years ago. Back then, Dyson swelled to the top and you still had your Rainbow and Kirby supports, mainly because the Dyson is too plastic-ey.

I imagine Kirbys being owned by old audiophiles who have to have everything on vinyl.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but does anyone hate bagless vacuums? I do. I hate cleaner all the canisters, filters and screens all of the time.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I really like our Dyson DC25

Wife recently bought the DC24, which I believe is its smaller brother. I like the maneuverability of it and the fact that it's fairly light; however, I'm not impressed with its suction power (it's rated at 115 AirWatts vs. 220 AirWatts for the DC25). So I guess that explains why I'm not impressed with it. On top of that, the motorized brush clogs up and stops spinning very easily. I have to disassemble it and clean it at the beginning of each vacuuming and often times in the middle of it once more, too. That makes the whole process a lot longer. On my cheap old Dirt Devil, the brush rarely ever gets clogged.

We looked at a DC24 and a DC25 side by side. The DC25 was much better built, and the reviews I found on it were much better than the DC24.

Sounds like we have folks happy with vacuums all over the price range.

I buy Dysons at Overstock, we have yet to pay over 290 or so even for the best models. Good luck finding the ridiculously expensive Miele at those numbers.

One we own is six years old, used EVERY DAY commercially and has never needed a bag, belt, or filter. Still in our truck working every day. We have many others.

May be the CHEAPEST vacuum I've ever owned. Superb filtration with exhausted air better than HEPA. Many different models you will never see at Best Buy. Terrific factory support and parts availability.

Too many people here read and follow Consumer Reports blindly IMO. Might want to try one before you knock one. A superb machine. I have bought literally HUNDREDS of vacuums, we burn them up in our biz.

Remember that the vac company will practically GIVE you a bag vac (or a replaceable filter) as the continuing sales of bags and filters are where it's at.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

I imagine Kirbys being owned by old audiophiles who have to have everything on vinyl.

Yup. And proud of it.

A friend bought a DC24. It's a nice vac if you have primarily wood floors and are only vaccuming a couple rugs. I wouldn't like to use it as a primary sweeper though. It seems cheap in feel and I'm not a fan of the ball vacs (any of them). She's had good luck with it though.

I wouldn't give up my DC14 for anything less than a DC28 or a Miele. I guess it's good that it's showing no signs of wear, because I don't want to spend that kind of money on a vac right now.

I still have the original Hoover Convertible; bought in 1982 from now defunct store Lechmere for about $100. I have replaced belt on it countless times along with the blower fan few times. I replaced the roller and bearings once. I have JB welded bottom attachment part. Until few years, this was being used regularly. But it still works when I need to use it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I still have the original Hoover Convertible; bought in 1982 from now defunct store Lechmere for about $100. I have replaced belt on it countless times along with the blower fan few times. I replaced the roller and bearings once. I have JB welded bottom attachment part. Until few years, this was being used regularly. But it still works when I need to use it.

The used/reconditioned market is a good gauge of the better vacuums, where build quality makes the market. The best ones command a good price, and for older models than lesser makes can.

The Hoover convertible is one of the great classics, many vac shops still sell used ones, and parts are readily available. I've seen 40 and 50 years old examples still working fine. They don't pull as well as the newer designs, but they were well designed, made for many years, and easy to keep going in most instances. I was disappointed when our last one finally became too expensive to fix after 25 years of service.

Funny, I've never seen a "reconditioned" Simplicity at Big Lots. Our local "real" vacuum store sells them all: Dyson, Oreck, Simplicity, and others. Compare the bottom of a $3-400 Simplicity with that of a $3-400 Dyson. I've never owned a Dyson, so I can't speak to how well it sucks. However, if I were to buy an all-plastic vacuum (made in Malasia or China), I'd go back to $150 Hoovers and Eurekas.

Don't worry, it's your privilege to buy whatever you want.

My last purchase was 2 DC 28's at 269 each, I'm no fan of the Ball design. It's a bit easier to handle though, so perhaps an elderly or weakened person would do well with it.

But there is no comparison between a Dyson and the low end products that Hoover, etc. sell in the stores. They eat belts, bags, and/or filters like popcorn. My friend has a high end sears vac that needs a 70 dollar filter every 6 months! Ridiculous. You simply wash the Dyson's off and reuse it. Great tools and attachments as well that really work.

We have 6 in service every day, never bought a belt. Never paid for a replacement part. Overall, these are better than the 600 dollar commercial vacs we used for years.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My friend has a high end sears vac . . .

That's a bit of an oxymoron. With Sears, it depends on what they're re-branding at the time.

There's a place for a $100 Hoover or Eureka, there's a place for a $400-$600 Dyson or Miele, and there's a place for a $1000+ Kirby.

I won't ever deride the man who buys a $100 vac (either new or reconditioned), if that's all he needs, wants or can afford.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Funny, I've never seen a "reconditioned" Simplicity at Big Lots.

In my book, "reconditioned" means the premium makes that are bought, serviced and re-sold at locally-owned specialty vacuum cleaner dealers, not in a big box aisle.

Like everything else, these little stores are fading away under the tsunami of Chinese plastic rolling in. But those folks know which machines are worth buying, which ones will hold up, and which one's won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back