Napa Platinum 47356

Status
Not open for further replies.
An ISO looks good comprehensive test would be more valuable to me than their 4 hour efficiency test. The moderator could ban cut open filter pictures, as :looks good: is no longer allowed.

That could be set up Zee
smile.gif

I actually think a reasonable scale and set criteria could be set up to make this happen. The one Fram orange done here recently would have scored rather poorly. While the Fram Ultra would score in the outstanding range. Even the latest Purolator would score very well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Given your assessment that there is "enough" media on the Wix filters, have you ever compared wix to OE Filtech or Honeywell?

What are you looking for? I have an A02 and both models of Wix on hand and cut open. As a point of order, A02’s are no longer Honeywell. I also have A01’s though I wasn’t planning to sacrifice a virgin one given the number of cut opens already out there and mine are fairly old.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That could be set up Zee
smile.gif

I actually think a reasonable scale and set criteria could be set up to make this happen. The one Fram orange done here recently would have scored rather poorly. While the Fram Ultra would score in the outstanding range. Even the latest Purolator would score very well.

As long as a total tally was kept for an overall running score - could normalize it for a more even comparison. But to be realistic you'd also have to include a performance score, regardless if some people don't believe in a 20 year old established ISO standard meant to measure and compare filter efficiency. For those who don't care about efficiency, then they can just buy based on the "looks good" score.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: bbhero
That could be set up Zee
smile.gif

As long as a total tally was kept for an overall running score - could normalize it for a more even comparison. But to be realistic you'd also have to include a performance score, regardless if some people don't believe in a 20 year old established ISO standard meant to measure and compare filter efficiency. For those who don't care about efficiency, then they can just buy based on the "looks good" score.

Sounds good, I buy based on everything like most.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Given your assessment that there is "enough" media on the Wix filters, have you ever compared wix to OE Filtech or Honeywell?

What are you looking for? I have an A02 and both models of Wix on hand and cut open. As a point of order, A02’s are no longer Honeywell. I also have A01’s though I wasn’t planning to sacrifice a virgin one given the number of cut opens already out there and mine are fairly old.

Im not looking for anything in particular. I do run Fram Ultra, Napa Platinum, and OE filters. I was just curious if there was an actual measurement or basis to substantiate the claim of enough media. Most everyone kind of gut knows all specified filters will work, it was the nuance of that specific value I was interested in, thinking that it may have been measured or cited somewhere...

I was just curious if there was an actual measurement or basis to substantiate the claim of enough media. Most everyone kind of gut knows all specified filters will work, it was the nuance of that specific value I was interested in, thinking that it may have been measured or cited somewhere...

The Platinum is a full synthetic media filter, so trying to compare the media area to non-synthetic media isn't a good way to compare capabilities between the media types. Don't need as much media area with full synthetic due to depth filtering, and full synthetic media flows better also - less delta-p with same flow compared to cellulose.

The context of "enough" media in the topic 47356 was in response to a post authoritatively (apparently) stating that the media "cartridge" is "way too small." That to me is saying the element is not large enough, ie., have enough media 'holding capacity' to fully capture all the dirt particulates over a recommended oci/fci without the filter going into permanent bypass.

If that poster can provide some scientific data proving that statement, I'd welcome it. However, until proven otherwise and having used the similar sized cellulose blend media NG 7356 often to my satisfaction, I trust that Wix has done the testing and knows what they are doing. And 'fwiw', the filter is covered by the manufacturer warranty for it's intended use.

As also noted now, the specific topic filter 47356 uses synthetic media which is a depth media. Comparison to oem cellulose type media not applicable. Here too though, possible/likely less media area than other similar application synthetic OFs.

As reference only, though not my favorite practice, quick lubes and indy shops use downsized/(consolidated) filters as SOP. In the case of topic Honda 7317 size they use the shorty 6607 filter. And as shown here often, they also use it for the larger older Honda, current Hyun/Kia 9688/3593a applications.

Whatever happened to the days where you just went and picked an oil filter to use on your vehicle? I would hate to be some of you on here. You probably go in the filter section with a slide rule, a micrometer, an abacus, a scientific calculator, and charts & graphs, just to pick an oil filter.
Honestly, before I joined this forum, I would always use OEM filters. I have NOT let any member here brainwash me into using a different filter. I chose/choose them on my own.
Flame suit is now on!

BlueOval....
I used to run only AC Delco pf61s in my 14 year-old GM Colorado. Not for the past few years thou. They aren't built like they used to be. Darn Delcos nowadays squack at startup and the PF61s don't even have a ADBV. If I run a Wix or Fram silicone ADBV, everything sounds quiet at startup.

Not all OEM filters are the best idea for our vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
BlueOval....
I used to run only AC Delco pf61s in my 14 year-old GM Colorado. Not for the past few years thou. They aren't built like they used to be. Darn Delcos nowadays squack at startup and the PF61s don't even have a ADBV. If I run a Wix or Fram silicone ADBV, everything sounds quiet at startup.

You're correct sir. I'm just having a little bit of fun, but on a side note, I am serious. I am not into oil filters like a lot of members here are, but I'm very grateful to those that are. I have learned so much from all of you. And, I thank you all!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Just remember, efficiency ratings are only worth something if the media remains intact through the oci, and the filter doesnt bypass oil internally.

Purolators have decent efficiency ratings on paper, but when they blow a 1/4 hole through the media, they couldn't filter out sand with any kind of reliability.

Efficiency is important, but build quality and robust construction make the filter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk
Just remember, efficiency ratings are only worth something if the media remains intact through the oci, and the filter doesnt bypass oil internally. ...
Good point. Holes in media are not the only way filters can bypass oil, either. An attentive observer can spot other ways by [shudder, yes] looking. We can be sure efficiency ratings published by manufacturers are based on defect-free examples (or prototypes), even if assembly quality later strays in routine production.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
BlueOval....

Unfortunately, when Purolator (MC/Mopar) forgot how to do quality control & use decent media, and AC Delco changed their old style tank-like construction to a (now improved) weaker Ecore design, it became necessary to look for something a little tougher. If the price was right (as in not 2-3 times the price) I would have no trouble using an XP/Platinum in a CLEAN engine with a tight air filtration system-they're just not a good deal, especially considering the weak efficiency rating.

Maybe ISO should come up with an official "looks good" test procedure and rating scale.
lol.gif

There are tons of YouTube videos that already cover this

Steve Morris Engines , He a well know for build some insane HP race engine for most drag racer. he run pretty much Wix XP on most or all his race build engine, 600whp to 3000whp + engine

for example his 900WHP + running Wix XP

check out at 1:11 clearly wix XP, check out his other video too, if you pay attention enought, you can see wix xp on most of his high HP engine he build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcr3pvvbKI&t=246s

Cant never go wrong with wix/napa gold oil filter line. Its a great choice of filter for EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Racers typically don't care about efficiency. Ford Racing Performance does however make a very efficient racing oil filter, and Fram's racing filter is quite a bit more efficient than the XP.

Racers typically don't care about efficiency. Ford Racing Performance does however make a very efficient racing oil filter, and Fram's racing filter is quite a bit more efficient than the XP.

No one use fram on their race motor any more . Most learn their mistake .

Originally Posted By: Phishin
This is why I can't stand Fram Ultra's....

You can NOT show a filter on this website without a grip full of dudes who are trying to be President of the Frm Ultra Fan Club showing up in your thread proclaiming Ultra's are better.

Those Fanboi's are relentless. Sometimes it actually [censored] me off.

This is what I have problem with. I use to like fram ultra . Because those type of fram fan boys , I just stop using the
ultra and start using other synthetic filter even I have to pay 2-3 dollar more .

I will say one time and one time only . On ZeeOSix . If some one bring up Mobil 1 . He will say fram better in efficiency . If some one bring up purolator , he will say tear issue . If some one bring up wix xp . He will bring up fram having better efficiency . Purolator line . Wix line . Champ line . All is good filter. It’s good leave it alone. Also calling peoples that build engine for living or build engine that cost $100k don’t care what filter they using , acuse they pick the filter for the look . He think he know everything. That why I don’t take his advise any more .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: Phishin
This is why I can't stand Fram Ultra's....

You can NOT show a filter on this website without a grip full of dudes who are trying to be President of the Frm Ultra Fan Club showing up in your thread proclaiming Ultra's are better.

Those Fanboi's are relentless. Sometimes it actually [censored] me off.

This is what I have problem with. I use to like fram ultra . Because those type of fram fan boys , I just stop using the
ultra and start using other synthetic filter even I have to pay 2-3 dollar more .

I will say one time and one time only . On ZeeOSix . If some one bring up Mobil 1 . He will say fram better in efficiency . If some one bring up purolator , he will say tear issue . If some one bring up wix xp . He will bring up fram having better efficiency . Purolator line . Wix line . Champ line . All is good filter. It’s good leave it alone. Also calling peoples that build engine for living or build engine that cost $100k don’t care what filter they using , acuse they pick the filter for the look . He think he know everything. That why I don’t take his advise any more .
Z06 says it because it is true. No need to take his word for it, there is PLENTY of independent information that confirms what he is saying. The reasons you give for not using an Ultra have to be some of the lamest I have ever read...SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back