NAPA Gold or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
No it isn't. It's known to have very poor efficiency, something like 50% at 20 microns. You can do better. Lots better.

That's what they keep telling me but I'm very impressed by the construction of them.
I'm going to post pictures whenever I can figure out how to get the best lighting.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Doing 100 miles a day is perfect for using the "20,000 Mile Plan" as we'll call it.
M1 Annual Protection 20,000 Mile Oil
Fram Ultra 20,000 Mile Oil Filter
Has any one but Mobil ever done 20,000 miles on the AP?

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Coil spring instead of leaf spring, higher quality bypass valve built into the end cap, and extra metal piece to seal against anti-drainback valve and bottom end cap.

There's no proof that the WIX bypass valve works better than the Fram's. Have you ever tore open a WIX bypass valve? I have, and I don't really like the flimsy piece of nitrile rubber they use inside of it as the seal.

No real proof that a leaf spring in the dome end is a bad design - it works on millions of filters.

If the internal design of the Ultra was bad causing internal leakage, then it wouldn't rate so high in ISO test efficiency. Maybe the XP is an internal leaker causing low efficiency.

Strange how most of these discussions pan out. FRAM is the greatest and everything else just aren’t worth buying.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Strange how most of these discussions pan out. FRAM is the greatest and everything else just aren’t worth buying.

At least to those that understand why.
wink.gif

ZeeOSix: The Wix XP has a dome end bypass valve built into the end cap. The XP has a more durable one than the kind on a Napa proselect/supertech.

The one on the fram is built into the leaf spring, which is the same as on the extra guard (orange can of death), and is extremely flimsy. You can bend it as easily as you can squeeze an aluminum can.

And the base end bypass valve on the regular wix/napa gold seals very well.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Toyota Denso OE. Correct fit, factory warranty, and it's what the car came with new. Inexpensive and easy to get by the case. Set it and forget it.
Thank you for mentioning the "D" word goodtimes. In just eleven months and twelve days I'll be able to use the D word again.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Doing 100 miles a day is perfect for using the "20,000 Mile Plan" as we'll call it.
M1 Annual Protection 20,000 Mile Oil
Fram Ultra 20,000 Mile Oil Filter

Uh, this is BITOG, we LIKE changing oil! Since you brought up extended OCIs, what about MicroGreen filters? Don't see much about them but the claims of 30K on one fill is impressive. My search skills are lame but I did find one reference to good UOAs out to 30K.

Anyway, the M1 AP + FU is $56 OTD at the local Wally. 2 OCs of PP + NAPA Gold is $59 so the savings is 30 minutes. I'd have to do a 2 UOAs with TBN to be confident, that's $76 the first year. Other than saving the planet just not seeing the advantage, am I missing something?

Maybe the NAPA Gold bought for $4.18 with their occasional 2 for 1 coupon is hard to improve on?

Last edited:
Stick with wix or napa gold brand. Wix XP is also excellent for around $10 price range, its build like a tank and its heavy like a tank. Im dis the fram ultra completely next run for my daily drive and for my cobra terminator, and going with the wix XP , only thing I will be miss about the ultra is the grip.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Anyone know the efficiency of the ST oil filter at Walmart, made by Wix?

This should have to be on every filter box and rated at 20 microns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
... only thing I will be miss about the ultra is the grip.

And the efficiency.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
ZeeOSix: The Wix XP has a dome end bypass valve built into the end cap. The XP has a more durable one than the kind on a Napa proselect/supertech.

The one on the fram is built into the leaf spring, which is the same as on the extra guard (orange can of death), and is extremely flimsy. You can bend it as easily as you can squeeze an aluminum can.

And the base end bypass valve on the regular wix/napa gold seals very well.

Nothing wrong with the way the Fram bypass valve is built or how it functions. You have proof it doesn't work well? Your viewpoint is all based on looks, nothing else ... no data to back up that they are "inferior". But hey, that's all fine and dandy so use what you want, but don't say one is inferior just based on how it looks to you.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well if you follow where that asterisk leads you on that box, you'll discover that figure is at 30 microns on that box.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Uh, this is BITOG, we LIKE changing oil! Since you brought up extended OCIs, what about MicroGreen filters? Don't see much about them but the claims of 30K on one fill is impressive. My search skills are lame but I did find one reference to good UOAs out to 30K.
True, if you like changing oil, a 10,000 mile interval might be best, and a Fram Ultra or MicroGreen would be a good choice. The MicroGreen needs to be changed every 10,000 miles, while the Fram Ultra could go 2 10,000 mile intervals. Oil choice could be any full syn you see on the shelf at Walmart for 10,000 miles. ... MicroGreens have a blended glass-cellulose fiber media which is comparable to Fram ToughGaurd or Mobil1 or Wix or Napa Gold oil filters, and they have the nice silicone ADBV instead of nitrile. MicroGreens have the unique extra path thru a small element which should work to clean up the oil further, although possibly not much different than a Fram Ultra does anyway.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well if you follow where that asterisk leads you on that box, you'll discover that figure is at 30 microns on that box.

Which is exactly why ST and Purolator and some others have an asterisk instead of the number. We see here people think it all means 20 microns. Plenty of room on the box to put 30 microns in large numbers. Same with UP TO 20k they make it hard to see so many people start saying 20K as the number for all. Not 20k for all. Bad and dishonest advertising techniques.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Bad and dishonest advertising techniques.

It's typical advertising techniques. Nothing "dishonest" about it because the information is accurate, just not in your face. People need to not be lazy and read stuff carefully.

Agreed - an ISO particle count is the only real way to determine what you are and aren't filtering from a size and # perspective but if you have a baseline on your output an insolubles test can give you a high level look at your systems filtration.

Fram recently changed their website and no longer call out a micron rating or give a 4548-12 micron and efficiency at that micron rating for the Ultra - at least that I see.

I hope they didn't change the construction formula. Even worse would be to discover the number we had all along wasn't correct.

This looks a little like purolaters "99% cleaning power".

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Fram recently changed their website and no longer call out a micron rating or give a 4548-12 micron and efficiency at that micron rating for the Ultra - at least that I see.

Don't panic. I sent them a message via their comment tool and Fram responded saying it was an oversight by the web developers since the EG and TG still shows the ISO 4548-12 efficiency numbers. Check the Fram website in a few days for a correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back