Napa 5w40 $4.49

That's not a certification or official approval. You still need to prove it's exactly the same oil as Valvoline branded oil, which was your assertion.;)
It's Napa/Valvoline's warranty that it meets those specs. As I said Plenty of folks run officially un approved oil. Where talking about Valvoline after all. It's a non issue. If there's any oil company to question about meeting specification it probably should not be one of the oldest oil companies like Valvoline.

Last edited:
I'd be careful arguing about the wording of the bottle of that NAPA...a forum-favorite, Quaker State Euro 5W40 is about the same..."specifications" vs. "approvals"...difference is the QS is listed on the VW approved oils doc, Napa is not which isn't suprising for a "house brand" oil to me. The bottle language looks fine/on-par with others, but it's not on the list.

20231230_135620.jpg

I'd be careful arguing about the wording of the bottle of that NAPA...a forum-favorite, Quaker State Euro 5W40 is about the same..."specifications" vs. "approvals"...difference is the QS is listed on the VW approved oils doc, Napa is not which isn't suprising for a "house brand" oil to me. The bottle language looks fine/on-par with others, but it's not on the list.

View attachment 195611
I give NAPA less latitude, since I assume Valvoline is printing the label for the NAPA oil and the verbiage is quite different from the Valvoline branded Euro 5W-40. If we stick to the Shell brands, Pennzoil's verbiage is identical to what we see on the Quaker State product:
Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 2.29.13 PM.jpg

Ultimately, as noted, the NAPA oil is not featured on either the VW list of approved products nor the MB BEVO lists.

Back