Nail 1/2 inch from sidewall; your thoughts?

I did a quick oil and coolant service on my friend's high mileage '15 Altima strippie. I had put some Firestone whatever tires on not long ago. Today I noticed a screw/nail in the tread, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from sidewall. I'm sure Wheel Works (Firestone) will not repair it.
A while ago @Trav posted the repair kit he likes; perhaps I will give it a try.

What would you do? I appreciate your thoughts.

Got a pic?

If it were mine, I'd plug it and keep riding. Someone else' , I wouldn't touch it myself.
This.

Need a pic. Plugging a tire close to the unrepairable area, on a car you drive is one thing. Doing it on a car someone else drives is a other. I would not plug a tire in a questionable area on someone else's car.

Start by putting soapy water on it to see if it's through to air. Might be a short screw and no big deal.

Agree with others, it's a close call. On mine it's a maybe, on someone elses' no.

Also depends on the age of the tire itself (near new, or end-of-life) and the type of driving and vehicle. Old tires, no brainer to toss. New tires at $400, that's a different analysis. Low speed in town cruiser car, different than high speed hwy SUV. The former being far safer to do a slightly risky patch.

I did a quick oil and coolant service on my friend's high mileage '15 Altima strippie. I had put some Firestone whatever tires on not long ago. Today I noticed a screw/nail in the tread, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from sidewall. I'm sure Wheel Works (Firestone) will not repair it.
A while ago @Trav posted the repair kit he likes; perhaps I will give it a try.

What would you do? I appreciate your thoughts.
I'd bring the car to Don's Tire Shop in Berkeley and have them look at it. They have saved tires that others have said were unrepairable. In other words, since I don't know a lot about such things, I go to an expert I trust ... I've been using Don's since 1971.

Yeah, they probably won't repair it... but I take it to the Mexican tire shop, boys that work hard and are level-headed.... They will patch it, if I tell them I am only going to use it as a spare.... And then, I use it as the spare.

I've been plugging tires forever. Never a single issue.
We used to plug motorcycle tires for goodness sakes. Somewhere along the line it became "Voodoo" to plug tires. Never seen a plug "explode out" and flatten a tire. Seen some leak, but the next plug fixed it. Then they came out with the "plug /patch combo". Best thing since chrome. Using some common sense when fixing tires goes a long way. Fire suit on. 🔥

Ever see the video of a GoPro inside a tire? Watch to see about where that nail/plug might be and the flexing. Knowing my kids use any one of the cars, I'll now stick to the side of caution. Older days I was more daring and would do make many less wise choices. Older and wiser only comes from surviving young and foolish but recognizing the issue next time.

Back