My wife is in LOVE with BMWs...advice requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lease a new BMW for your wife and after 3 years.... hopefully she doesn't have a desire for another BMW.

All people should have a fun car before they die.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Lease a new BMW for your wife and after 3 years.... hopefully she doesn't have a desire for another BMW.

All people should have a fun car before they die.

Life's too short to drive practical SUVs.

BMWs have been the worst cars I’ve ever owned, but I liked them. Still, if you’re looking to get something for the long haul, IMO and IME Mercedes is the best of the krouts, by a mile

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

http://bimmertips.com/bmw-battery-registering-and-programming-explained/

The sad thing is, these kind of battery management system is everywhere (i.e. in your phone) that cost only about $1 in parts. A properly written software can perform self calibration without expensive manufacturer procedure (dealer labor) and equipment (expensive due to low volume).

IMO they intentionally do this to increase profit margin, or they cut corner assuming that they know better than their customers. A new college grad can build something like this in 1 month and integrate it into the car, running it every time someone reconnect the battery.

It's money maker and generally a scare tactic, nothing bad will happen if you don't update the battery registration in the car.

And you know this how? This is exactly the attitude that causes trouble an gives the cars a bad name for no other reason than owners knowing better than the manufacturer about how their systems work. These are high tech vehicles not a 66 Chevy.

Research a little bit. The car recognizes that there is a new battery and adjusts the install date and miles driven accordingly.

Of course, if one wants to do it manually, you can buy a BavarianTechnic cable and have access to the settings to do much more than that.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

I have had a couple of E9 BMW's, still have a 2007 with 130k on it. The older ones with hydraulic steering drive great. The newer ones with electric steering, not so much. But I have not driven a 2016 up. I find my 3 series a great driving car, and still like driving it. But I have other cars to drive. To keep some miles off of the BMW, it is garaged in winter. Coming from Toyota's, my advice is to lease or get a CPO with a warranty. If you are going to buy, follow Mike Millers service advice. My E9 at 100k needed a valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and oil filter housing gasket. The gaskets seem to be made out a rubber that takes a compression set, then leaks to the point of annoyance. I have done 2 VCG gaskets on my present car. Don't let the oil filter housing gasket drip on the serp belt. More expensive problems will result. The 100k service should include plugs, trans fluid, etc. Not cheap if you have someone else do it. LL-01 motor oil OR what BMW calls for depending on year and model you get. The A/C compressor went out at about 115k. The water pump is electric, and not cheap. They tend to fail suddenly. Look it up. Control arm bushings at about 115k. Yes, and you do have to register the battery. Most are AGM. Again, not inexpensive. Runflats, I have used both non-runflats and runflats. I presently have Bridgestone Driveguards, a runflat, not a performance tire, but they are not harsh at all. A good all season tire. The shocks are junk at 60k IMHO. I replaced them with Bilstein and never looked back. HVAC motor failure, replaced in about 10 minutes with an inexpensive aftermarket unit.
They are nice cars with great aftermarket support. Think FPC Euro, ECS tuning, Bavarian Autosport, Turner, Bimmerworld. If you plan to keep it after warranty is up, you best be a good at doing it yourself. Finding an independent that is good and who won't break you wallet is not always easy depending on where you live.
Just go into it with eyes wide open, and be prepared. They are not Toyota's/Honda's, and that is a good thing if you like driving BMW'S. I drove mine from MA to AK two years ago. A great road trip car. Only problem was a punctured Conti run flat in Palmer AK.

I have 3 bmw products in my driveway currently after having countless ones over the last 20 years. You guys make it like it's a yogo and it will brake down on you in the first hour you own it. Go get one and enjoy a real driver car. Fyi my bmws have been problem free for a long time.

This is pretty comical. Telling him to trade in the wife and buy a Toyota?
lol.gif

If you can research the cars, know what you are buying, and can DIY you will have no issues. Going to the dealership will be expensive, even if you can't DIY finding a good indy shop will be a better idea. If just getting into BMWs I'd suggest a 3-series over the 5-series. The 5's seem a bit more complicated. The 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines aren't too bad, the V8s and larger can have some quite expensive problems.

My GF has a 2006 325xi E90 with over 130k miles. I never understood the fascination with BMWs until I drove that car for 8 hours straight on a road trip. It has had a few maintenance issues, but nothing major. She says it has been the most reliable, fun, and cheapest car problem-wise she has owned. To give you an idea of the DIY savings, the car recently needed a new oil filter housing gasket. The dealer wanted $850. I bought the part from BMW for $40, and replaced it in an hour with a few sockets and a ratchet.

The best advice I can give is research the model you are looking at and learn of potential trouble spots so you can address them should they pop up. Sometimes even the same car can be reliable vs. really problematic depending on engine choice. Parts are a bit more expensive than a Toyota, but it's not like maintaining a Range Rover or Lamborghini. My GF owns a 2006 325xi, and I service two E46 3 series, a 2005 330i and a 2004 330xi. None of them have been maintenance nightmares.

Take her to a Lexus dealer and look around. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, maybe she’ll see something she likes.

I do have to say the Avalon is one heck of a car. So smooth and quick, great materials inside.

With these vehicles (and all German/Euro) a lack of understanding of their basic systems and how they work and following the procedures leads to many problems that are not the fault of the vehicle or the manufacturer.

Yeah, but what kind of "procedures" does one have to follow to prevent gaskets from leaking, rubber seals from dry rotting, plastic coolant system components from cracking, window regulators from failing, HVAC final stage units (blower resistors) from dying, and seat adjustment electrics from failing?

But ***** as it gets.
As I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like that kind of ugliness.

BMWs have looked almost the same for 10+ years. Blah.

I've had BMW's for 20 years or so. My advice is to own them under warranty, or be willing to pay a competent mechanic to maintain and repair it as necessary, or have the tools and expertise to take care of it yourself.

Are they as reliable as the typical Toyota? Generally, no. But when everything works, some of them are nice to drive/ride.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
With these vehicles (and all German/Euro) a lack of understanding of their basic systems and how they work and following the procedures leads to many problems that are not the fault of the vehicle or the manufacturer.

Yeah, but what kind of "procedures" does one have to follow to prevent gaskets from leaking, rubber seals from dry rotting, plastic coolant system components from cracking, window regulators from failing, HVAC final stage units (blower resistors) from dying, and seat adjustment electrics from failing?

True enough but BMW is far from being alone with that sort of stuff. At least it doesn't have a CVT last time I checked.

I don't know your financial situation, but I'd definitely lease and not buy the BMW (granted I don't make enough money to not care about car repair costs). Take her to a dealership and lease her the BMW she wants. Most importantly when she picks one out and brings it home make sure to post pics for us to see.

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
Nice cars. Built like tanks. Beautiful and great drivers... although the difference is not as big as in years past. And, like a beautiful woman, they are high maintenance and expensive to keep.

BMW oil changes are included for a few years on new cars at no charge... but the interval is way too long IMHO (~15,000 miles). The dealer serviced, four year old 5'er I bought had a major sludge problem.

My wife also loves (loved) BMW's. She had one for about 10 years, but it left her walking one day (fuel pump failed) and that was all it took. We still have the car, but she refuses to drive it. She drives a Chevy now and is just as happy.

BMW engines are ticking time bombs (esp. the V8's).

Used BMW's look cheap... because they cost big bucks to repair, and they all break.

Spend a little time on the BMW forums... before you buy.

Good Luck!

That's why OP should lease a new BMW for his wife and get rid of it after 3 years.

I do agree BMWs are very nice.

I like Hondas and Toyotas, and do all normal maintenance on my cars, and usually keep them for a few hundred thousand miles each. Bought a 1997 328IC with 28k miles in 2003. Recently redid many mechanicals on it for my son to do cross country round trip. All went well. Hated interior plastics as they faded / failed. Got to where I could not reset Oil lights, Seat belt buckle would set off Airbag light: 80k miles now? Drivetrain no problems. Always plastic rear window and soft top concerns.

Wife wanted a Z3 since 1996; then Z4 since about 2003. Christmas bought her a 2011 Z4 35i (turbo) with 6 speed manual, with 74k miles. We like it as a weekender, but dont know how we'll take the lap dog and cat on weekend trips. I do see the disadvantage of a 2 seater. Great linear power, will see how interior holds up in SC sun. Can't find parasitic battery drain, hate the idrive electronics. No dipstick drives me crazy. Coping with run flats / no spare tire.

My BMWs appear to have needed more TLC than my Hondas and previous Toyotas. Maybe I should have gotten the wife an S2000.

Just buy with perspective past warranty you may hit a nasty surprises or two. It may be soon after or 50k after. Repairs just cost higher compared to average car.

1. Find one she really likes, but then make excuses why you can't buy it and convince her something else is a better option.

2. Buy it later and surprise her with it.

3. Enjoy your reward.

Thank me later.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back