My take on white vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used to be a huge fan of white since many of my parents cars have been white over the years and I thought I wanted something different. My first car was black, it looks great when clean but shortly after washing looks dirty again. It also shows every little swirl. My next car was Desert Mist Metallic (one of Hondas tan colors) It looked great when clean and waxed and didn't show dirt or swirls easily. My third and current car is white, it does look great when clean and waxed but I disagree with those who say that white is easy to keep clean. It shows dirt easily, I mean its a white backdrop that displays the black dirt right on top. Sure it's better than black but I find that light metallic colors tend to hide dirt better.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: CT8
Plus it is a cooler temp color during the summer.

Pretty sure that theory has been debunked.

I can testify, white is MUCH cooler than darker colors. Especially black.

I was amazed at the very high percentage of white painted cars in Asia..they just look better contrasting the black tires, red tail lights and dark glass..my fav was the Mugen 91 CRX Si

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Buy a bra for that baby.
Ban the bra !!!

By who?...some high school dropouts who don't know simple Science? Find a black car next to a white car parked in the blazing sun in any parking lot....put your hand on the white car, then on the black car. Science!

Originally Posted By: ammolab

By who?...some high school dropouts who don't know simple Science? Find a black car next to a white car parked in the blazing sun in any parking lot....put your hand on the white car, then on the black car. Science!

And then apply burn cream to your hand. My car is black and I will never get a dark color again. My next car is mandatory white or silver. I'm tired of washing it endlessly and dealing with water spots and swirl marks. And living in GA, a dark color is absolutely much hotter inside when it's been sitting in the sun.

I used to not like white, but now it's one of my favorite colors. However, silver and gray are also nice, and easier to maintain!

I like metallic/pearl whites like what GM does. Otherwise, I don't know. Some manufacturers use single stage paints for white still I think, Toyota and Honda (remember it from the detailing forum). Black and red are my favorite colors universally, for Jeeps/Land Rovers I also like earth tones. Always the lightest/brightest interior available.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I love white, black, and grey cars.

HATE washing white though. Mother had a pearl white Cadillac ctsv and now she has a white grand Cherokee. You NEED to get every spot, for if you slack, it will show.

Yep, this. Learned the hard way while hand washing an S10 I'd just bought after college. You slack on the scrubbing and it shows. You do it right, though, white cars can be very pretty. Silver, black, too. Right on.

We had a white '86 Volvo 740 Turbo with black trim.

It had very thick enamel paint which chipped quite badly. So thicker paint is not the answer. For cars I've since bought, I've had a clear plastic coating put on. It's almost invisible and it really prevents stone chipping. Made by 3M I think.

White looks reasonably good even when it's a bit dirty and it cleans up really well - polishes beautifully.

All in all, I like white (and silver).

I think those "high school dropouts" were the TV Mythbusters, or similar. They put a thermometer inside a dark car and a white car on a hot day and measured INTERIOR temps after a period of time. Something like 0.7 degree difference or whatever, not near enough to make any real difference. No one was "laying hands" on the cars paint. People ride INSIDE the car, and both white and black were hot as Hades.

Living in SE TX I can confirm without a doubt white cars gets blazin' hot. Be accurate. Don't fool yourself.

Agree - Explorer is white TriColor (pearl) - Fusion & Cruze are silver - GMC is black (dirty most of the time) ...

77665 - ? if that's a zip code - my black truck gets really hot parked at Home Depot in that area ...

I think those "high school dropouts" were the TV Mythbusters, or similar. They put a thermometer inside a dark car and a white car on a hot day and measured INTERIOR temps after a period of time. Something like 0.7 degree difference or whatever, not near enough to make any real difference. No one was "laying hands" on the cars paint. People ride INSIDE the car, and both white and black were hot as Hades.

Living in SE TX I can confirm without a doubt white cars gets blazin' hot. Be accurate. Don't fool yourself.

Sorry, you're wrong.

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/car...un-video-242940

https://mythresults.com/episode38

I've owned a lot of cars and white or silver are always the favorites. Why, because they live in the rust belt and are clean little of the time. The do show rust more ill say that. Whites just easier to live with fix, blend into with repairs. I just find painting you can get away with more and have it look ok. The thing I hate though is the plastic bumper being black when the paint chips off. It does glare at you !
Now Black on the other hand💩...........ugly 5 minutes after you wash it.......😫

I prefer silver and white. Thankfully, my Jeep and truck are both silver.

The darkest I'll go (and it's where her and I can agree) is charcoal.

Not a fan of black car paint swirls. I'm guessing a metallic black paint such as Ford's tuxedo black would help with this though.

My Colorado is white...part of the plan, plain colour, not peeling clearcoat after parking outside for a decade like the more recent cars.

I like it...it's version of dirty is definitely non offensive.

LOLing on a couple of levels...
* my wife decided on the black Captiva, which isn't solid, it's metallic with tiny red dots.
* we are buying a house ATM, don't need to park on street.

And Binky, my white steed is going under cover, the first car I've ever owned that will go undercover, and the first car I ever bought with intent of being able to keep it outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back