My supply of GC has been cut short!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at an Autozone, and I've had a steady supply of GC there for a few months. Well, I was loading the oil rack today, and we had got some more 0-30 in, with the red label, but it wasn't GC! It just had "Castrol North America" on the back, not, "Imported by Castrol...".

I think I'm going to start stocking up once I find more.

frown.gif
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by guitargeek:
I work at an Autozone, and I've had a steady supply of GC there for a few months. Well, I was loading the oil rack today, and we had got some more 0-30 in, with the red label, but it wasn't GC! It just had "Castrol North America" on the back, not, "Imported by Castrol...".

But did it have the A3 and the other groovy ratings on the bottle label ?

Smell it , see if it smells like the Syntec 10w-30

Color ?

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by guitargeek:

Color ?

Motorbike,

Key questions...guitargeek, PLEASE find out and let us know.

When I went to Autozone last week, I checked the back label which had changed slightly, and it took me a couple of seconds to find the Made in Germany on the bottle. I guess this is somewhat a good sign being that the new labels are still showing Made in Germany.

For me the comforting thing was when I spotted a brand new batch number of GC here in Canada at Walmart, so at least up here the supply seems to be continuing. But I still worry that it'll be gone, as I'm honestly not sure what I'd run in my own car if it went away, as I want a 0w oil, but I also want something with a viscosity between 12-13cst at 100c, and I want it to be very shear stable too. And it must be a full synthetic.

I'm not sure which oil I'll go with if I can't run GC 0w30 in my Firebird. I've been toying with the idea of either Amsoil 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40. Mobil 1 is $7.50 though and Amsoil is $12.80 per bottle. But, Amsoil is readily available at Canadian Tire, while M1 0w40 is only available at one "out of my way location" which isn't open on weekends and closes at 3pm during the week.

My wife's car could go with 0w20 Mobil 1, although that's also only available at that "out of the way" location.

Who knows though, GC could end up being around for many years, and even if it disappears in a couple of years there could be many new oils by then. I still favor the 0w oils now though.

But it appears Castrol at least for the time reflect this better 0w-30 in their application data on the castrolcanada site .

Not to worry , Motorex is coming in a year I'm told
smile.gif

So is the Pentospeed 0w-30 VS ........

Bump TTT

I figured no better area to further the 0w-30 topic than here.

There are currently two 0w-30's in Europe meeting BMW LL-01 that are of MC base oils . MC over there is Molecularly Changed and one of these two I know for fact is group III/ Ester .

Now I certainly do think the German Castrol is PAO/Ester but what if the " made in Germany " disappears off the label ? Do you think Castrol might follow suite with Group III/Ester base oils ? If they do and both the specs and price holds the same would you be steered away from it ?

Sure the Motul site says only a true synthetic meets LL-01 spec ... thats what Motul says though.

I forgot all about this topic!

quote:

I'll have to check to see if it's A3 rated, and I didn't want to buy a bottle since it wasn't the GC. I'll buy one quart, though, and see if it's still a funny green color
grin.gif

quote:

Send the crap back and request the real thing! Do your customers a favor.

I'm the only person that's ever bought any
frown.gif
If I buy case, one case comes in the next week. Otherwise it just sits there. I guess there aren't too many bitog people on Cape Cod
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

Not to worry , Motorex is coming in a year I'm told
smile.gif

I've heard really good things about Motorex being used in a coworker's GSXR750. He said the shifting was infinitely better than with Spectro or Mobil 1.

How is the stuff in slightly lower rpm engines? just as good?

ferb!

The bike oil has been here about a year or better now . It can also be found under the KTM label .

I was speaking of their automotive line of oils though . They have just about all the stuff like an A3 0w-30 with similar spec to the GC, an 0w-30 thats the Molecular changed stuff many are selling in Europe , Ford Specific , VW specific and 10w-50 ect ect .

The more UOA's I see of the German Castrol the more I like . Whatta deal on 5 buck a quart over the counter oil
smile.gif

I think it's here to stay , btw I found out a good Autozone manager can order it in from the warehouse just like any part they don't stock if a guy prepays .

Something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back