My Speeding Ticket - Conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

You are not placed under oath until you actually testify in a trial. The judge would simply have asked how he plead (to the amended charge by the prosecutor). There is no "lying under oath" here.

+1
When I was a much younger man, I spent plenty of time in traffic court. I was never sworn in or otherwise "under oath". This was just a plea bargain, plain and simple. There are murderers walking the streets right now who plead down to manslaughter. This is small potatoes.

My conscious would be clean as a whistle on this one.

I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't caught onto this game and put these on their record. They could if they wanted to.

All systems need exercise, including this one
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't caught onto this game and put these on their record. They could if they wanted to.

They go by what gets reported to the DMV, or whatever your state calls the DMV. RMV, etc. They vary slightly but it's the same thing.

The pleas arent all sweet and candy-coated forever. Get caught too many times and they get progressively worse.

Insurance can't do squat if he used his possible one or two-time plea to "no points" or etc, sometimes its within 5 years sometimes its within the lifetime but there are super-serious violations that get pled down to some kind of document or whatever violation all. The. Time. They normally would call for jail time and expensive fees, if they get bad enough.. It has to be a third time or more, usually, and depends on what it is. (Example: $1000+ and other penalties ticket can be downgraded to a $33 offense, if its corrected before you go to Court. All depends on what it is. Really. And Court fines keep getting more expensive, over the years.)

Four kinds of violations: Moving (points,) parking, documents, and equipment. The weirdest thing is how a moving was made to a parking. But, we drive on parkways and park on driveways, so it makes sense.

NY values, for the win.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Guess I shouldn't be after time here, but surprised at those that would attempt to lay some kind of lame guilt trip on the OP. He did what the system not only permitted but promoted. And broke no law with the plea to a lesser, ie. no point, offense. And he still had to pay a fine,

Further, it was some compensation for him using his time and effort to get the charge reduced. He did so without the expense of having to hire a lawyer who could/would have done the exact same for him.

Fwiw, here they let you plead to improper equipment once for a speeding offense.

Congrats to the OP for the result. Hopefully you'll be more aware and cautious in the future.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
How's your conscience sitting with "playing the game" ?

I'm curious. How does your conscience sit being in management?

Serious question.

I did the same thing in N.Y. Plead to some expensive non moving violation. I've gone in for just about every ticket I ever got and got a reduction or dismissal on every one.

How do the cops conscience sit in giving friends and family a pass? It's common and accepted practice.

This happens all the time with other laws. It draws much less attention with traffic laws, and creates a great local revenue stream. If the offender isn't a regular visitor to the courts, they are usually facing lighter charges.

In Dekalb County Georgia about two years ago the LEOs went on an unofficial strike protesting the salaries/benefits.

For three months they refused to write any moving/speeding violations citations..cost the county millions in revenue.

And traffic accidents/fatalities actually went down in the same period too.

When they went back to writing tickets..the LEOs did it with gusto to catch up on the quota they don't have.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Serious question.

I did the same thing in N.Y. Plead to some expensive non moving violation. I've gone in for just about every ticket I ever got and got a reduction or dismissal on every one.

How do the cops conscience sit in giving friends and family a pass? It's common and accepted practice.

Don't worry, tv.. He speeds, too.

Ouch.

Check your blood color. It should be red.. So, no need for the "Do as I say and not as I do, lesser human."

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

Serious question.

Ouch.

Check your blood color. It should be red.. So, no need for the "Do as I say and not as I do, lesser human."

You completely missed the point. It is about Integrity. It is short supply everyone can see by the posts on this thread.

Good follow up. The process and fine has taught you a lesson about 1180-D. Your previous driving record yielded this short plea bargain. Well done.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Serious question.

Ouch.

You completely missed the point. It is about Integrity. It is short supply everyone can see by the posts on this thread.

I think you missed the point even farther, my square states ? friend. There isn't somehow not integrity in exercising your rights.

There are only a few posts in the thread trying to make OP feel like he did something wrong. Yours is one of them.

That's the point...admittedly speeding, but then pleads (under oath) guilty to parking....

That's really low form.
I disagree with you for a change. I was speeding once and the cop wrote me up for disobeying a lawfully posted sign. Same fine..no points. Once speeding 53 in a 35. Cop wrote it up for 49. No points.

Really no difference. Its the way things are done here from murder on down. "Pleading Down" for the win. He wasn't under "Oath".

Last edited:
I think you missed the point even farther, my square states ? friend. There isn't somehow not integrity in exercising your rights.

There are only a few posts in the thread trying to make OP feel like he did something wrong. Yours is one of them.

You have no clue what integrity is. Accepting a plea for a lessor charge is legal, but it may not be honest. Honesty is rarely popular and you have demonstrated this perfectly. Unfortunately your past presence on this forum has shown you do not understand this and that is a pity.

Over here, the fine you get in court will ALWAYS be higher than the settlement offered by the prosecutor (ie the initial fine). Also, there's court costs to pay on top and the conviction will be on your wrap sheet for 3 years. Often a ban from driving is mandatory aswell (the judge has no choice but give you a ban from 15 days up).

Best to avoid all that.

Serious question.

Ouch.

It has more to do with his previous history with the original poster, I bet. People in the "good ole boy" club always get the thumbs up. Yes, just about everything has an "ole boys" club. Everything has their mafia. And you normally have to off someone to get into management.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
What about the integrity of the judge?

And the prosecutor?

Why in this scenario would you compromise your own integrity? Why would you be worried about a 2nd and 3rd party's integrity? The OP admitted to breaking the law and was caught speeding. What is so difficult to admit you where wrong and own the consequences?

The only argument I get is what about the other parties. This just re-enforces the obvious there is a serious lacking of personal responsibility that is prevalent in this country.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
What about the integrity of the judge?

And the prosecutor?

Why in this scenario would you compromise your own integrity? Why would you be worried about a 2nd and 3rd party's integrity? The OP admitted to breaking the law and was caught speeding. What is so difficult to admit you where wrong and own the consequences?

The only argument I get is what about the other parties. This just re-enforces the obvious there is a serious lacking of personal responsibility that is prevalent in this country.

It's not a compromise of integrity, it's a plea bargain. You have no concept of how the law works.

You ignored my statement asking why cops don't give tickets to other cops or their family members? Why are there courtesy cards. If integrity and traffic laws are so extremely important?

Last edited:

I thinki trying to put a "morality" spin on this is laughable.
Morality and integrity are how you deal with other people...he went into court pleaded guilty (took responsibility) and accepted what the law allows. You wouldn't see the fairest and most honorable judge in the country quibble with this process.

But Somehow you come down from the mountain with your stone tablets and castigate the OP...truly comical and sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back