My Frantz Install Pics - Duramax Under the Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my pressure from the oil galley, and returning to my oil pan via a hollow bolt.

I welded a bracket up and it's mounted to the side of the condenser. There are already two tapped and threaded holes there that I used to mount the bracket to.

Looks nice, wondering if it filters same or better than Amsoil bypass. If so --this one is much cheaper+TP as media
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MBS500
Looks nice, wondering if it filters same or better than Amsoil bypass. If so --this one is much cheaper+TP as media
smile.gif

This experience is in no way scientific but I've seen it with my own eyes.
A friend has a 2012 cummins. He has one of these tp filters as well as the stock full flow filter. He never changes his oil but gets it analyzed at every filter change which is roughly 10000kms.
Anyways I've helped him swap the filters and once the filters are changed the engine needs about 3 quarts to top it up. The engine has around 100000kms on it presently. He changed the oil not long ago because 100ppm iron was his condemnation point with the last analysis showing that.
Anyways at 100000kms I helped him change the oil. What drained out wasn't black like diesel oil usually is. It was very dark yes but not jet black. The oil was the factory fill with only filter changes remember,so some of that oil had 100000kms on it,and it wasn't jet black.
I was astonished at what drained out of the pan. When I change our forklifts oil it comes out extremely black. And once new oil is added the new oil is black in very short order.
The oil from this truck was less black than my hemi's oil at 5000 miles. Even writing about it now I'm still in awe about how clean that franz filter system keeps the oil. It's just incredible. And Dave's uoa always shows 0 insols,which I believe means there is no particle at all. That the filter has either filtered them out or they have completely dissolved in the oil.
So I cannot say enough about what I saw with a cummins using a franz. The oil wasn't black. It was very dark but still a brown hue to it.
Now I know Colour doesn't mean a whole lot when it's really black but the fact that that bypass system manages to filter all of the soot or burned residue that the oil has dissolved in it just amazes me.

I know what are you talking about, my step moms oil in her vw tdi turns almost jet black immediately after oil change. TP has much more fine media than regular filter.

That is easy access. When you replace the filter element will you be able to catch the old oil as you remove the canister?

Nice, now you just need to clean that leaf litter from the drains so the truck doesnt rust before it wears out...

Originally Posted By: Kool1
That is easy access. When you replace the filter element will you be able to catch the old oil as you remove the canister?

The oil drains back into the oil pan at shutoff. There's zero mess this way, which is why I installed it where I did and why I return to the oil pan via a hollow bolt.

I have heard of some people installing the oil return line into a hole drilled in the oil fill cap. I think they do this to prevent drilling debris from entering the engine. It's an interesting filter for sure.

Things I don't like about Frantz Filters:

1) No industry standard efficiency specs. If there are, someone please point them out. The few claims I have see are wildly optimistic (and unverified), or singularly unimpressive (vs what you can buy from a filter with a dedicated element)

2) Whatever efficiency specs there may be are dependent on which TP is used.

3) Possibility of using the "wrong" TP and having a problem.

Things I like about Frantz Filters:

1) Inexpensive element.

2) Collects oxidation residue.

3) Without an efficiency spec and guessing based on what little I know, efficiency is still 50% better than the best available full flow and that makes it worth having.

I wished I never would have sold my old Ralph Wood Motor Guard. I liked the design on it better. I kick myself every day for selling it years ago. Now, I can't find one anywhere.

There are people that don't know any better and use these filters. They do just fine. In the 50's and 60's these filters were popular. At the gas station that I worked at as a kid in the late 50's the owner had a 55 gal drum that he collected all the used motor oil. He pumped it through a Frantz filter again and again and again. The filter was called a Frantz 3-stacker and it was messy to change. He used the oil in the tow truck and his delivery truck. He used a blotter test to determine when the oil is ready. I guess he just did not know any better and so it all worked. I was always impressed with the occasional drop of water that would appear on the entry side of the toilet paper. A local farmer had a similar setup but used lots of rolls and gravity to clean the oil.

LateArrival ...

As I recall, you first had an Amsoil and then an OilGuard, rigth?
How do you like this set up versus the other two you were using?
Did you change to this to go back to less expensive element changes?
What FCI are you setting for the t/p?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
LateArrival ...

As I recall, you first had an Amsoil and then an OilGuard, rigth?
How do you like this set up versus the other two you were using?
Did you change to this to go back to less expensive element changes?
What FCI are you setting for the t/p?

I like the ease of change (under the hood), and the fact I don't have to order a proprietary element.

I did it because the proprietary elements are no better at filtration, but are way more in price than a roll of TP. A number of years ago, I had a TP setup, and changed to a different system for the heck of it. That was back when I tinkered with my truck a lot more than I do now. Now, I have too many life events and other things that take priority over spending money on oil and filtration systems
laugh.gif

My FCI....will try for 5K, but would be happy with 4K element changes. I'm going to test that out by simply touching the canister to feel for heat. That will guide me on FCI's.

Many years ago, there was a sponsor here on BITOG that ran a Butler Cat lab in South Dakota. I sent him an oil sample when I had my TP setup on and under a microscope he stated my "oil looked as clean or cleaner than new oil out of the bottle."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LateArrivalforLSU

I did it because the proprietary elements are no better at filtration, but are way more in price than a roll of TP.

Prove that statement. I've been digging around trying to find accurate, standardized testing that shows the efficiency of the TP elements and can't find anything. If you have something, please pass it along. All I can find is marketing hype, unverified claims, vague references and a couple of UOAs but nothing done under any of the standard efficiency testing protocols (i.e. 99.7% @ X um). I have nothing against TP style filters but I want them to be accurately represented and the lack of verifiable information makes me skeptical.

Last edited:
But do I get Aloe Vera extra gentle super soft or just the 1 ply septic safe bargain roll?

Seriously, might have been great back when dinosaurs ruled but there is simply no real need today. Plus as Jim said "where's the beef?"

My Dmax will likely outlast the truck it is in with regular oil and filter changes just following the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: LateArrivalforLSU

I did it because the proprietary elements are no better at filtration, but are way more in price than a roll of TP.

Prove that statement. I've been digging around trying to find accurate, standardized testing that shows the efficiency of the TP elements and can't find anything. If you have something, please pass it along. All I can find is marketing hype, unverified claims, vague references and a couple of UOAs but nothing done under any of the standard efficiency testing protocols (i.e. 99.7% @ X um). I have nothing against TP style filters but I want them to be accurately represented and the lack of verifiable information makes me skeptical.

If you pay for a particle count to be done, I'll get you some data. I don't have the burning desire to pay for those services. Seriously, if you want it, I will take a sample and have a particle count done. PM me if you want to make payment arrangements.

Particle count would only tell a small part of the story and then only if you did it scientifically (before tests, after tests over several OCIs). A PC is not industry standard filter efficiency testing, as you would get from a filter manufacturer, but it can be used to test the .

As I said before, what would be educational would be an efficieincy rating doen under one of the industry standard protocols. My theory for the reason we don't have any from the Frantz system is that it will vary from TP to TP. Some TP might filter better than others so the manufacturer cannot really offer anything. Also, the manufacturer seems to be a budget outfit and probably doesn't have either the in house equipment to test or the desire to spend the money on tests. Leads one to think, also, that maybe they already know the answer.

I sense you getting defensive about this, which implies you are taking this more on faith rather than on fact. That is your choice. Maybe it's just me, but my "burning desire" would come before I spent money and installed something, not after. In your case, it's neither. And, no, I won't be paying for your particle testing. If you want to brag about something and are totally lacking in facts, it's up to you to pay that freight bill, not me. But I will continue to search for testing info and present what I find, if anything. I would welcome any other info to follow up on as well.

As I said before, I am not against TP filters at all. Nor you, LateArrival. I just challenged your unsubstantiated statement. I'm sure a Frantz provides decent bypass filtration, so it's an upgrade over nothing and possibly over some other systems (subject to some objective testing at least). The low initial buy-in and maintenance costs makes it easier to justify the expense. Those are both in the plus column... but isn't anyone at all curious about what they are buying into?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

I sense you getting defensive about this.

Not at all. True intent is sometimes hard to convey through text, as is the case in this instance. I'm just to the point in my writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back