Replacing over-the stove microwave.

I recently replaced an 11 year old over-the counter Whirpool Microwave, and took a chance, purchasing another Whirlpool, but made in China, microwave. Surprisingly, I did not have to remount the rear hanging flange, and the two holes in the cupboard were the exact correct position. It was a complete bolt in installation with no drilling required. Bonus.

Here’s a pic of the original mounts and holes that worked for the new microwave. Not sure how often this happens. For those who have never mounted one, most of the weight sits on the rear mounting flange bolted the the wall. (Look carefully for the two tabs), and some of the weight is taken up by two mounting screws that go through the shelf above. There is also a hole large enough for the electrical plug-in. Enjoy.

1BA10F1C-E880-4D30-BB7A-6D4B6549B854.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently replaced an 11 year old over-the counter Whirpool Microwave, and took a chance, purchasing another Whirlpool, but made in China, microwave. Surprisingly, I did not have to remount the rear hanging flange, and the two holes in the cupboard were the exact correct position. It was a complete bolt in installation with no drilling required. Bonus.

Here’s a pic of the original mounts and holes that worked for the new microwave. Not sure how often this happens. For those who have never mounted one, most of the weight sits on the rear mounting flange bolted the the wall. (Look carefully for the two tabs), and some of the weight is taken up by two mounting screws that go through the shelf above. There is also a hole large enough for the electrical plug-in. Enjoy.

View attachment 167700
Good job!

View attachment 167700

I have one, about 13 years old. Wondered how tricky it would be, if I have to replace it.
It's probably leaking radiation on me by now o_O

We replaced our full sized GE microwave with a low profile Whirlpool when we updated our kitchen about 5 years ago. Wife wanted the new tile mosaic behind and above the stove to be more visible so I had to change the bracket mounting but it wasn’t too big of a deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1199.jpeg
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 15
I would have checked the installation instructions before purchase to verify.
Good thought, but, if they don’t post the instructions on the net you would have to take down the old one, measure the dimensions of the metal flange and the position of the holes. If the store showed you the back of the existing model, ( not that likely since they are usually mounted in a display shelf about a stove, you would still need to see the actual flange). A whimpy store clerk would not be up to this task. Maybe you know of another way? You would also have to open a box to grab the installation manual if it wasn’t sitting inside the display model.

Did your old one die? We’re still using ours manufactured in 1998, but I took it off the wall in 2011 to do a complete cleaning. I can’t buy any of the plastic bits.

Did your old one die? We’re still using ours manufactured in 1998, but I took it off the wall in 2011 to do a complete cleaning. I can’t buy any of the plastic bits.
I had this posted earlier on another forum when I was trying to figure out what was wrong. It was new in 2012 and looks like an interlock door switch went bad. I don’t want to take it apart. There are interlock door switches on Amazon but I’m not interested. Basically it blows the 20 amp fuse in the microwave and throws the breaker any time the door is opened.

I have one, about 13 years old. Wondered how tricky it would be, if I have to replace it.
It's probably leaking radiation on me by now o_O
Unless door is bent or damaged, hinges broken, etc. it is not leaking. Never saw one leak that was undamaged and leaking externally from the unit. Retired factory tech. with a yearly calibrated leak detector.
That said I've seen small internal RF leaks affecting the board chips though.

I'm jealous that you have vented range hood. It's rare to see in the US in anything but custom/luxury homes and the piping is rarely done well either.
I made sure we got a vented hood and picked a 900 cfm cent insert with 6” air duct piping.

I could not take the smells permeating our home.

Back