Poor fit on new UAC A/C condenser made job take 5x as long as it should have..

Generally speaking I have decent luck with aftermarket parts, but last night I really had to struggle with the A/C condenser install on my 2002 Tracker. The fit was so poor its like they designed the thing off of an phone picture, everything generally looked right, but nothing was quite right.. only 3 of 4 main mounts lined up, mount for condenser fan were wrong, I had to retap/chase threads on different connections, the threads for sensor were wrong, and I had to move that pipe over from old condenser etc etc.. It was bad. There aren't any "brand name" parts available for the tracker, but if I had to do it over again I'd have certainly tried a different one, maybe GPD. Just a rant on a particular part that I really would have loved to return, but I didn't have much choice but to install... On the bright side the $115 new Ebay A/C compressor seems to work just fine..

Here's the offending product, many reviewers had the same experience as me, not sure how its still 4.5 stars.

I had a Plymouth Horizon TC3 and installed an aftermarket water pump that lasted about 3 weeks. It was a bear to replace too. My brother has a 1996 C4 Corvette that had 2 brake masters cylinders that were defective before the 3rd one worked. Problem was trying to find the origin of the problem. You put in a bad new one and look at other avenues to repair. Old cars can be a nightmare if you can't get decent parts.

It's probably slim pickings for a 2002 Tracker unfortunately. Probably have to make do with whatever you can get.

Last edited:
It's probably slim pickings for a 2002 Tracker unfortunately. Probably have to make do with whatever you can get.
I'm finding that pretty much every part for this thing only fits this generation of tracker/vitara and some xl-7's.. Not like other GM vehicles where the engine in whatever one you have is also in 5 other models..

At the end of the day the A/C is blowing nice and cold (and I now have power steering since they share a belt) so it was worth it.

At least it's installed and working.

I wonder if a condenser for a Suzuki Vitara would have fit better? at a glance. it appears there's a wider selection of them on RA.

Reactions: D60
At least it's installed and working.

I wonder if a condenser for a Suzuki Vitara would have fit better? at a glance. it appears there's a wider selection of them on RA.
Believe it or not the condenser/lines/compressor are different between the vitaras and tracker even though they were made on the same assembly line… the routing and hookup points are different.. turns out a v6 tracker a/c system is a unicorn

All I can say is I know the feeling. I can't specifically think of all the instances right now. One is the top strut on a GM SUV, another is a bed frame purchased on amazon. OH, I got one of those hitch baskets 2 years ago and I was at the end and I really didn't think there was gonna be a way to put in a needed bolt. Just not drilled properly. I could not imagine shipping that thing back (heavy and large) and maybe it wasn't 5X, but it was 3X what it shoulda been assembling it.

Back