My First 24 hours being sick,CV19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had a household member with it. Symptoms were pretty typical...mild fever and some congestion for several days with lingering fatigue...nothing serious. We isolated as much as possible and wore masks when prudent. I have not been sick with this virus even though I've been obviously exposed to it. Also, I've been fully vaxxed...may or may not have helped.

I had it in May 2022 after months of intentionally seeking it out. I made the decision to stop wearing masks and living in fear. It was the sniffles for 2 days and my legs and arms hurt. I thought it was seasonal spring allergies because it was so mild.

I’m not particularly healthy but I do take vitamins, zinc and Quercitin which I’ve read can be effective early treatment.

I was PCR tested at 2 different locations as well, 1 was a local university and my HMO. The university tests were for research and they could guage the stage of your infection. Early, active and in recovery. The HMO tests were reporting an active infection while the university said I was in recovery then negative. I was still testing positive at The HMO while being negative at the university. It appears the HMO has calibrated their tests long after infection has cleared to report false positives for some unknown possibly unethical reason.
PCR is designed to take tiny amounts of DNA and amplify it so even tiny amounts of viral DNA fragments floating around post-infection will get amplified if they match the primers being used and those fragments can float around for quite a long time in the absence of active infection.

My guess is the university is using quantitative PCR which as the name suggests allows you to not just be able to say a specific DNA sequence is present but measure how much is present and then have some idea where someone is in the infection.

The university qPCR may have a cutoff where below a certain number they call it a negative result if if fragments are present while the HMO using PCR simply reports presence or absence of certain DNA fragments.

I'm fully vaxed and I've had it twice. The first time it really knocked me down and out for about 10 days of active symptoms and another 3 weeks for severe fatigue. The second time it was 2 1/2 days of sniffles and fatigue for about a week. I tend to have a "robust" immune response to most viral infections with more severe symptoms to more common diseases like flu and colds. I tend to have the same response to all vaccinations as well having spiked a 103F fever for 2 days after my first vaccination. The primary pathophysiology of severe CV19 disease is the induction of a hyperinflammatory immune response and it is the host immune response doing the most severe damage. This is one of the reasons why the course of the infection is so variable from person to person. Prior infections and vaccination result in a pool of memory B-cells specific to CV19 capsid proteins/epitopes that allows quick neutralization and clearance of subsequent infections before hyperinflammation is reached. Educated speculation, but based on the severity of symptoms during my first infection even with all my vaccinations, had I not been vaccinated, I think my first infection would've been much worse and it was already bad. Interestingly, current research suggests those who have the most severe reactions to the vaccine (a sign of a strong immune response) also have higher antibody titers for longer than people who do not experience more severe symptoms.

My brother is Gang visited several days before last Christmas. And I woke up with it Christmas morning. One of my brothers' kids had it and didn't know it at the visit but check positive the next day. When I caught it it was the worst sinus pain I had in my life and I had had the vaccine a few months in advance so it was in full effect. I think I had it a second time also but that was just like a mild feeling of under the weather and I stayed isolated in case I really had it even though I didn't test positive. I've known people that have had it and tested negative for many days before they finally tested positive so sometimes a negative test really doesn't mean that much and if you're feeling out of it it's wise to isolate anyhow so you don't give whatever it is that you have to someone else.

We lost two loved ones to it. My wife was working as a CNA at a nursing home then in a Covid unit in a hospital. She saw exponentially more death during that time than she had seen in the 10 years of her career beforehand. Some were particularly sad like a 26 year old new father. There were a lot of people that she encountered who had regrets but were beyond the point of turning things around. Besides all the death, I think the worst part of the whole thing for me was seeing just how quickly people would turn their backs on friends and family over a difference of views. I'd always regarded my fellow Nebraskans as being neighborly and hospitable after seeing everyone help each other through storms, floods, etc. but for this issue people in my state did everything but unite with one another. It was truly a dark time.

Glad you are okay. My wife got so sick with it early and two additional times(twice pre vaccine and once vaccinated ) but she was working frontlines as PT at infested hospital. Our family never caught it and we were terrible about quarantine. I continued to share bed with her .

I was OK with folks sharing their experiences. See post #31. See also:

The policy on CV-19 posts was to avoid contention.

That contention has shown up in debate over vaccine effectiveness, and in complaints about moderation.

So, let’s lock it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back