My Daughter found a good mushroom spot.

That stands for great spot or honey-hole. Brought over these this morning. Been years since I've had morel mushrooms!

1714313103632.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ID - Morels are pretty easy, make sure hollow stems, cut long wise. We eat them, no problem, but not large quantities.

RAW - morels contain rocket fuel! MM Hydrazine. So do many many fungal fruiting bodies so simply don't eat raw mushrooms.

Rocket fuel is a systemic poison and seems like more people are croaking than in the past - you need to cook, well. I think the clown who was camping with his buds, ate some before cooking, then ate a lot. Ugghh..........

It does not matter how well you saute them. I you eat a poisonus mushroom, they will still poisonous.
It depends on the mushrooms and the toxins they contain. You can cook a death cap as much as you want and it will still be lethal. A bitter bolete will still be bitter after cooking but it's not dangerous - it only tastes really bad. Chanterelle will make you throw up if you don't cook them. Many amanita species can be eaten safely if they are cooked The above-shown morrel is toxic when raw but heat will destroy the toxin. Mushrooms that are edible raw include some boletes like porcini. Field and portobello mushrooms and their farmed cousins, cremini and button mushrooms can be eaten raw pooptake - seriously, auto censor? and oyster mushrooms may be eaten raw, and maitake has to be cooked. I generally don't eat mushrooms raw for three reasons. First, is hygiene. I like my food clean. Second, mushrooms are hard to digest, and cooking makes them more easily digestible. Third, I prefer how they taste cooked.

Back