Making Beans in the Instant Pot: Any suggestions?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Some time ago I purchased an Instant Pot and found that I didn't care for it very much. I now find myself incorporating beans into my diet with greater frequency and found that the Instant Pot (and other pressure cookers) works very well for cooking dried beans. I made my first batch this morning and the results were fair. I'd like to improve my skills. I've got information from other sources but am interested in what folks here might have to say.

Have you had any experience, good or bad, cooking dried beans in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker? Any tips or techniques that you can recommend? Do you have any favorite beans or bean recipes? Thanks!

I make chili with beans from the instant pot. In "Bean mode" it cooks for 30 minutes then simmers. I either add 20 minutes or do a double cycle. I like my beans to be absolute mush.

Baked beans are also good... I have no specific recipes but recommend brown sugar, maple syrup, and molasses.

Soak them overnight first. Don’t use the soaking water to cook them. I season with some garlic and smoked ham if I have any.
They eat pretty good with some sautéed kale and cornbread.
Yep! I like chard and other greens as well. Adding diced chard stems to recipes in which chard is used has been a habit for years. Likewise for some other leafy greens.

Last edited:
Use enough water to cover the beans, then set it for a half hour.

Pressure cookers finally make it possible to cook with dry beans at home :D

Some time ago I purchased an Instant Pot and found that I didn't care for it very much. I now find myself incorporating beans into my diet with greater frequency and found that the Instant Pot (and other pressure cookers) works very well for cooking dried beans. I made my first batch this morning and the results were fair. I'd like to improve my skills. I've got information from other sources but am interested in what folks here might have to say.

Have you had any experience, good or bad, cooking dried beans in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker? Any tips or techniques that you can recommend? Do you have any favorite beans or bean recipes? Thanks!
I also been making sure I hit beans daily black beans or Garbanzo but I limit to 130 grams what turns out to be about a serving.

I make beans in the instant pot at least once a week. check the beans for rocks, etc., rinse well.
No need to soak.
2 cups dried beans, 4 cups water, 1.5 tsp pink salt, dash of baking soda.
Cook 75 mins for pinto beans, 90 mins for black beans, natural release.
For refried:
In corn or canola oil (or lard, or olive oil), sauté 1/2 white onion, 1-2 cloves garlic until golden.
add beans in their liquid, bring to a boil, cook/mash until desired consistency,
don’t let them burn.
There’s really no other seasoning needed for the basic recipe, unless you have epazote lying around.

Guatemalan, Mexican, Salvadoran abuelitas approved.

I only do black beans. You don't have to soak them over night with the instant pot - but you certainly can - probably reduce the time if you do. I try to soak for 5 or 6 hours - so soak in the morning for an evening meal - drain, rinse - drop them in the pot with lots of water - well over them like an inch. I dice an onion, garlic and chopped silantro. Don't salt - it will make them hard. Then I pressure cook for 36 minutes and leave for slow release - about another 15 or 20 minutes. They end up soft, but fully intact.

There usually wet - I fish them out with a serving spoon with a hole in it. I found if i used less water the skins split. I like my beans intact.

Everyone likes there's different, so experiment with longer or shorter to get what you want. The good news is unless you under cook them its almost impossible to screw them up.

I have always wanted to do baked beans but no one here will eat anything other than black beans?

I use chicken broth instead of water . Just a little extra flavor . I went back to using my enameled cast iron Dutch Oven . That way I can do a few things along the way ..

They’ll be great if you let it rest a bit on warm. They’re edible right after cooking, but an hour will allow the beans to soften. Also, I made the mistake at first of just covering them in water. Ended up with a dry layer at the top, although it was OK after I added water and had it simmer on the stove. I would have needed to let it soak overnight and cook on a stove for an hour just to get it to the point where beans are still hard.

Back