Must equip cars with eng block heaters in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
over the years i have had several different engine heaters. they all worked. the steel ones rusted out if they were in the cooling system. the best all a round was a heater that had a magnet and you put it on the bottom if the oil pan. then pull it off to drive the next day.

Montreal or Toronto doesn't see really cold temps for a block heater on a gas car. The only benefit of a block heater would be faster heat in the cabin.

I really don't think these block heaters reduce engine wear, as Ontario is full of old cars with hundreds of thousands kilometers on them and no block heaters. Rust is the major concern here, not low temperatures

Originally Posted By: Garak

Audi and VW haven't had block heaters in their Canadian cars for many years. Aside from that, they're generally an option on most vehicles, and rarely are standard equipment.

Actually, most, if not all GM vehicles built since the late 80s/early 90s have had block heaters as standard equipment on their Canadian models. My 93 Sunbird, 94 Grand Am GT, 95 Trans Am, 95 Formula, 97 Grand Prix GTP all had block heaters on them and so does my Corvette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back