Mud Flaps - Yea or Nay

Mud-Flaps -
They keep snow and water from the undercarriage
and prevent stones from hitting the driver behind you.

Anybody install them on cars or SUV's ?
Would they do any good ?

My 2002 Ford Ranger had them from the factory.
I think small/large pickups should have them.

But what about ALL these SUV's, I don't see mud-flaps on any of them.
Is it worth installing them anymore ?
Are they even needed anymore ?

I live in the rust-belt and started thinking that mud-flaps couldn't hurt.

What's everybody think ?

IMO they trap dirt where they're attached to the rear portion of the wheel well. So I would only have them IF I lived in an area which received a lot of snow AND they were easy to remove for cleaning.

If we're talking about the little plastic molded ones I'd say they area really pretty worthless. Big flappy ones on trucks and whatnot i could see helping with chips and eventually a small amount of rust.

The problem is the salt is really a mist at any speed so no matter what it coats pretty much everything.

A local radio station has a quiz question every day at a certain time. A couple of weeks ago, it was worded something similar to: "What do some cars have that is not necessary and wastes XXX barrels of oil every day?" I was pretty sure what the answer was going to be and sure enough, the answer was "mud flaps". Now I have no idea how they came up with the answer and this wasn't some radio station like NPR, it was just a question they had that day.
My '97 Ranger has them from the factory and I feel they are not necessary and probably do waste gas. OTR trucks have to have them or they will get written up.

Yes, flat/rally style.

Don’t like the molded ones that partially covers the fender edge. Dirt gets trapped underneath and damages the paint

1689797336135.jpg

1689797356211.jpg

1689797379514.jpg

Have had 14X18 inch flaps on the 77 in my sig since new. all lower panels are still like new. Factory style with aluminum running boards on the GMC also no rust so the ugliness is worth it.

Looks like mudflaps are a love-um or leave-um item.
I'm more concerned about function/effectiveness rather than looks.

I think I will order the 'fronts' because they protect more of the vehicle undercarriage.
If all goes well, then I will do the 'rears'.

Wow! '73-'80 GM trucks are known for rust even here in north Texas.
Full disclosure 30 years ago there was rust where the stepside fenders meet the bed. The body shop owner said the Ziebart rust protection held water in pockets. After the repairs we started using oil undercoating and no rust since. My dad had a 74 Suburban bought new that almost immediately started dissolving.

Just installed the Weatherteck mudflaps.
I was able to use 1/4"-20 stainless nuts, bolts on the rear (not the supplied fasteners).
The fronts I used supplied fasteners.
Looks good and can't hurt.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3338).jpg
    Screenshot (3338).jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (3339).jpg
    Screenshot (3339).jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 6
As soon as I purchased my 2014 Corvette I bought some aftermarket flaps for the front and back. They only stick out about an inch more and the car has PPF film on it anyway along the bottom of the car as well as the bumper cover and hood. I have aftermarket flaps on my Ford F-150 and on my Honda Civic has the factory dealer installed flaps. The Jeep has nothing. Mud flaps greatly reduce chipping of paint and keep the car much cleaner when turning corners and regular straight line driving. I highly recommend them.

Back