Mower running poorly - Ethanol gas?

I also had a Tecumseh motor that the crank shear key was bent but not sheared. It made the thing run really bad.

One of our mowers is a standard Troy-Built walk behind 6.5 B&S. I have had it about 10 years, got it used from a neighbor.
The plug looks good, tried others, air filter is clean and the gas is fresh. Over the past few years it has just been running worse overall like it is almost sputtering out of fuel, not able to keep a nice even RPM. It seems I hear a lot of mowers in the area running the same way. In the past this means my air filter needed a quick cleaning and it was back to normal, not any more.

So I drained the gas tank, ran it dry and refilled with Non-Ethanol gas. This made zero difference. I have a few more mowers in the garage but they do not seem to want to run very well either, all have had the simple things checked.

Has the ethanol gas already done damage to the carb components or is it likely something else? Pull the head off and have a look?
Most likely ethanol gas. Try a product called Motor Medic. Walmart has their own brand. Put it in the fuel tank and run the mower to get it intothe carb. Then let it sit overnight. You may have to do this several times. If this doesn't work, you need a new carb.

My 2006 Honda Rancher (less than 25 total hours) had succumb to the Ethanol gas being run in it. I didn't even attempt to rebuild the carburetor. I called G.N. Gonzales in Baton Rouge and ordered a new carburetor. Since the install (about 2 years ago) I only run NON ETHANOL gas in it.

So we took off the aluminum bodied carb and cleaned it out. Looked very clean but pushed through the valves and sprayed through them with carb cleaner. Also took the head off and removed a thin layer of carbon off everything. Gas tank drained and cleaned it out with water and dish soap. Rinsed completely, let it dry and put non-ethanol gas in. Started right up but still stumbles just like before we touched it today. We have tried other spark plugs in the past but it has not helped. 16 years old so I suppose the carb has worn parts and needs a rebuild or replacement.

Thank you for all of the comments.
Splitting wheels so not sure I will do anything but run it till it will not start or just collapse.. ;)

So we took off the aluminum bodied carb and cleaned it out. Looked very clean but pushed through the valves and sprayed through them with carb cleaner. Also took the head off and removed a thin layer of carbon off everything. Gas tank drained and cleaned it out with water and dish soap. Rinsed completely, let it dry and put non-ethanol gas in. Started right up but still stumbles just like before we touched it today. We have tried other spark plugs in the past but it has not helped. 16 years old so I suppose the carb has worn parts and needs a rebuild or replacement.

Thank you for all of the comments.
Splitting wheels so not sure I will do anything but run it till it will not start or just collapse.. ;)
Perhaps, but my 31 year-old lawn mower has had the same carb since new and has only had E10 for the past 25+ years since we've lived in an EPA nonattainment area. I've replaced the bowl gasket twice plus the little bleeder screw gasket but that's it. So I think you can get some more life out if it.

Did you try cleaning out the tiny holes in the Jet ? Those are usually what get plugged up. If that doesn't work just order a rebuild kit. I'm sure there's alot Youtube vids to help you.

Did you try cleaning out the tiny holes in the Jet ? Those are usually what get plugged up. If that doesn't work just order a rebuild kit. I'm sure there's alot Youtube vids to help you.
Yes, jets is the correct term. Cleaned but where not blocked nor seemed dirty at all.
Will see about rebuilding cost if I can figure out the carb part number.

Sometimes you can clean it and it’ll look great but you haven’t quite gotten all the tiny little passages clean. I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and even perfectly clean looking carbs will have vaporized dirt coming out of little holes I didn’t know existed lol.

Just replace the carb. Their cheap. Got mine on Amazon. Had to use starting fluid to get my Briggs power washer started. Ran ok but not great. New needle and float. Same thing. New carb runs great.

One of our mowers is a standard Troy-Built walk behind 6.5 B&S. I have had it about 10 years, got it used from a neighbor.
The plug looks good, tried others, air filter is clean and the gas is fresh. Over the past few years it has just been running worse overall like it is almost sputtering out of fuel, not able to keep a nice even RPM. It seems I hear a lot of mowers in the area running the same way. In the past this means my air filter needed a quick cleaning and it was back to normal, not any more.

So I drained the gas tank, ran it dry and refilled with Non-Ethanol gas. This made zero difference. I have a few more mowers in the garage but they do not seem to want to run very well either, all have had the simple things checked.

Has the ethanol gas already done damage to the carb components or is it likely something else? Pull the head off and have a look?

I have an old Techumseh on my snowblower that started running rough when we moved to Iowa and I was using E10. I switched back to E0 and put some carb cleaner in the gas. 12 years later she still runs like a top on E0!

if the damage is done you might need a rebuild but try some B-12 and see if that licks your problem.

just my $0.02

Take the carburetor apart and boil it in lemon juice that will clean it up without harming any viton or nylon parts. Then blow it out with compressed air and reassemble.
It should run better afterwards.

This video demonstrates what people talk about when they say ethanol gums up carbs. Not even treating the E10 fuel saves it. Pretty entertaining watch.

What fuel treatment are you using?

Add some Seafoam to your fuel tank - 1 ounce per gallon treats the fuel but you can add a few ounces directly into the fuel tank - even if it only has 1/2 a tank of gas.

This stuff works.

Back