Mower Deck Spindles

Were they all 6203 bearings?
Get the xxxx-zz/c3 version of that bearing and they will love you long time.
They are, i already ordered the toro bearings. I ordered before i took the deck apart, as i needed to mow, and i needed parts on the way so i can get it back up.

I agree some SKF bearings would be superior, but the oem lasted 11 years. I thought it was a 13 mower but its a 2012.

I went to the dealer today for a belt, the Titan Max looks really nice. Serviceable hydros with a filter, larger deck belt, 60 inch deck, 5 inch cutting height.

Tempting.

I rebuilt the spindles on my old F510 John Deere using JD bearings. Probably got 15 years out of the OE. They were cheap around $11 each and a common part for them.

JD has decent prices on their bearings. I've seen spindles rebuilt with cheap bearings and the specs are off by a few thousandths.

Finished it today. Bearings seated, new pulleys, new belt. Belt was original with about 220 hrs.
IMG_20230908_204910648.jpg
IMG_20230910_141921318.jpg
IMG_20230910_142115632.jpg
IMG_20230910_144737922.jpg
IMG_20230910_144948221_HDR.jpg

Nicely done! A bit quieter, huh? The impact is the only way to do this job.
I have not run it yet but probably will in a day or so when the yard dries out from rain.

I'm sure it's going to be quieter. I think the noise level went up gradually and I didn't notice it , until it was an occilating noise, whooom whooom whooom.

On my gosh yes! Impact saved so much time and busted knuckles turning wrenches.

Paint was probably overkill, but why not? I used rust reformer on every rust spot , then top coated.

Last edited:
at a certain point in lawnmower maintenance life, you realize its easier and cheaper to just buy the stuff of Amazon cheap and replace the assemblies on a regular basis than it is to fool with the stuff.

I live in SWFLA, and between what amounts to a year round mowing cycle and the sand, palm and pine debris I got to the point where I just buy a set of blades just about every year, just because they disappear... same goes with the spindles, if one of them gets noisy I just buy three of them with a set of blades, save the good ones and use them as necessary until the process repeats itself.

at a certain point in lawnmower maintenance life, you realize its easier and cheaper to just buy the stuff of Amazon cheap and replace the assemblies on a regular basis than it is to fool with the stuff.

I live in SWFLA, and between what amounts to a year round mowing cycle and the sand, palm and pine debris I got to the point where I just buy a set of blades just about every year, just because they disappear... same goes with the spindles, if one of them gets noisy I just buy three of them with a set of blades, save the good ones and use them as necessary until the process repeats itself.
That makes sense, i've seen pics of mowers used in coastal sandy areas, the sails on the blades wearing right through. I'd do what you are in that setting.

I have not run it yet but probably will in a day or so when the yard dries out from rain.

I'm sure it's going to be quieter. I think the noise level went up gradually and I didn't notice it , until it was an occilating noise, whooom whooom whooom.

On my gosh yes! Impact saved so much time and busted knuckles turning wrenches.

Paint was probably overkill, but why not? I used rust reformer on every rust spot , then top coated.
I did the exact same thing. Once you start, you can't but do it the right way. Even got some reinforcement rings for under the deck, since I like to cut tall weeds and grass around my property.

I agree some SKF bearings would be superior, but the oem lasted 11 years. I thought it was a 13 mower but its a 2012.
Toro is notorious for changing suppliers every few years. I agree it is usually safe to buy the OE part even when the suppliers change.

Around here riding tractors usually reach EOL when the deck rusts to the point a spindle breaks loose. New deck (if available) costs so much a new box store lawn tractor is more attractive. Apparently few bother to have the deck welded.

Yup, mower decks are a weird item ... impossible to sell because no one wants them, impossible to buy because no one tries to sell them. I had to buy a whole tractor to get the deck ... and it was around 550 for the tractor plus a parts tractor. Made up the difference selling the extra tractor and parting stuff out.

The deck broke on my old F510. I found one local for cheaper than welding!

When I rebuilt the spindles on it they use small fans under the pulley. The blades on the OEs were all flattened. I see the New JD I have also has fans under the pulleys too but the spindle body is diecast stuff.

My new JD mower says two pumps every 50 hrs. That seems like BS to me and is somewhat confirmed by this video.

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Back