Mower Deck Spindles

Changing blades on my toro zero turn, i felt some wobble on the outside spindles. So i see sten spindles and 8ten spindles. They are made in china. I cannot tell where the oem Toro spindles are made. If its not china then I'll go that route. If they are all made in china, does it matter which brand ?

It also appears that you can change the spindle bearings and reuse the housing. I have a press. Anyone done this?

2 bearings per spindle, so 6 bearings @ $13 plus shipping.

The best mower spindles I have purchased came from this seller on ebay:

I have purchased belts, spindles, pulleys, and other items from them and they have been as good if not better than the Craftsman/Husqvarna OEM parts for my Craftsman riding lawn mower.

If you have the Toro part number you can search for that and see what he has. By the way, the spindles I purchased were not branded Craftsman/Husqvarna.

I've replaced spindle bearings before, I would probably give it a 75 percent chance of working without breaking a housing. My experience is with old cast John Deere spindles from the 60's through 80's. Not sure how the modern aluminum housings would hold up.

Good bearings are 20 to 30 for a pair, so I'm guessing a new assembly isn't too much more.

It also appears that you can change the spindle bearings and reuse the housing. I have a press. Anyone done this?

I have replaced spindles before. Just get the entire assembly so you don't have to mess with a press. It's then an easy job.

When I did the spindles on my Deere LT150 the bearings had a very light press. I popped them out to remove the inner dust seal so the zerk actually had a purpose. I added a pipe plug on the other side of the zerk to vent air when greasing.

Just my $0.02

I have, turns out the spindles use the same sealed bearings as my generator.
So when my last spindle went bad I put a generator bearing that I already had on the spindle and ordered the second smaller spindle bearing plus more "generator/spindle bearings".
The lawn more grade spindle bearings were $6 to $8. The generator bearings were $12, $13 up to $20 depending exactly what I got and where I got it.
I went for 3 skf bearings for $28.
Screenshot_20230902-162058~2.jpg

So when my last spindle went bad I put a generator bearing that I already had on the spindle and ordered the second smaller spindle bearing plus more "generator/spindle bearings".
The lawn more grade spindle bearings were $6 to $8. The generator bearings were $12, $13 up to $20 depending exactly what I got and where I got it.
View attachment 176535
Thanks, i'd love to find SKF bearings for this deck, but i can't find any cross reference

This video is worth a watch. He modifies a spindle that isnt serviceable, to make it serviceable.

View attachment 176535
It looks like i could take a bearing out and measure it , and match up an skf bearing on this web site.

Is that how you found it?

I bought the 8TEN spindles for my mower, and while they work the casting looks way different than the OEM Cub Cadet (MTD). Pretty sure if I mow too thick of grass it'll snap an ear off the housing! I kept my old ones to rebuild...

I rebuilt one on my Wright stander, I was going to do both but after I got the first one done I just bought the other one complete.

I found some OEM toro bearings on eBay, so I'm going to rebuild them. A couple.of idler pulleys have wobble.
Ordered bearings idler pulleys, Rust-Oleum sunrise red paint. Going to the dealer for the correct belt. It's original.

Got the deck disassembled, aircraft made it easy.
I'm going to paint it.
Successfully got the old bearings out. Wire brushed some rust areas and pressure washed it.
Paint and bearings shipped. One bearing was held together by the shaft. Came apart easily.
IMG_20230904_174242525.jpg
IMG_20230904_182549408.jpg
IMG_20230904_182146105.jpg

Changing blades on my toro zero turn, i felt some wobble on the outside spindles. So i see sten spindles and 8ten spindles. They are made in china. I cannot tell where the oem Toro spindles are made. If its not china then I'll go that route. If they are all made in china, does it matter which brand ?
I'd call jacks small engines. I've had great results find what I needed

Back