Moving to Retirement Village..

Good suggestions-Thanks!!
Couple Things:
1. No sale at the house. For many reasons. Nonstarter.
2. Whomever/Organization can come after the stuff has been handpicked. They MUST remove EVERYTHING.
3. Suggestion about an overflow temp storage unit is great idea. Thanks. Keep suggestions coming. I will start inquiries NOW.
4. Getting money for the stuff is not necessary and if I get someone who will take and make a payment it will go to charity.
then it seems like an auction company would be the best thing to do. tell them them that you want it all gone ,and what they do with it its up to them. most estate sales i have found do it at the home ,which is what you don't want .

i ahve found even giving away free stuff sometimes can be a lot of work.

then it seems like an auction company would be the best thing to do. tell them them that you want it all gone ,and what they do with it its up to them. most estate sales i have found do it at the home ,which is what you don't want .

i ahve found even giving away free stuff sometimes can be a lot of work.
This!

Habitat for humanity. A few places around me including Good Will are way too picky about taking items.
Habitat can also be picky and only wants like new stuff. I've asked them in the past if they want to take my kitchen cabinets and they say unless it is like new, no thanks.

If I had that timeline I think d try to figure out what I wanted to get rid of, and how I could make the most impact.

I’d personally probably try to sell some stuff on CL/eBay/FB, sound like you don’t want to…. I’d also want to see what I could give to people that would get utility out of it. Like, say I had a nice table saw that’s too big. I’d want to see if there is someone who could use it to start their new hobby or a side business. Just a random example, but that sort of thing. See who might actually have some tangible benefit.

In our town there’s a “buy nothing” Facebook page. Some folks make some stipulations on things they give away. I think aid get enjoyment giving stuff away for free to folks who could make a case for why they want it.

Stuff that’s not worth selling or doing the above I’d just donate to Salvation Army or Purple Heart.

Last edited:
I found a young couple that had just bought their first house when we moved to a retirement community early this year. I gave them everything they wanted from our downsized stuff...bookcases, a recliner, a table, small sofa, bed frame, etc. They were very glad to get all this stuff and it helped us with the downsizing. Win, win.

Interesting my buddy did the same after divorce. He was giving away stuff like his $2000 Weber. I remember him telling me his friend kept saying are you sure, can I give you something for it, and he said no just enjoy it.

I wish I had local friends like my buddy (he’s in FL)

When we had to move my sister to KY, we went with an auction service. They were Great and they cleaned out the house and put the house up for auction and ran the open house after they moved everything out. It sure helped us since wife and I can't lift heavy and we got a decent check from all their effort.

What does it matter at that point ? The house will be sold and everything has to go anyway . If you refer to it as " my stuff " then you must not want to get rid of it .
In our case the auction house has a building where they hold weekly auctions, come, take everything away, do their sorting, have auction, send check. Estate type sale the have to come and price and organize then have sales for 2 days here then remove what’s left. For us the auction was the smoothest quickest way.

We all have opinions and comfort zones. If I was in Al’s shoes I’d want it over and done. Things have value ….giving away, donating, trashing the rest at a cost doesn’t make sense to me if you can come out of the downsize with a check (for mom’s care in our case).

Been retired now for 12+ years

By dammed.........as long as I can keep up my rural property

Ain't moving !

Cold beverage time here........

although we have real winters.....pic 3

h9yzibJ.jpg

cKbuJHw.jpg

CIAffeP.jpg

By dammed.........as long as I can keep up my rural property

Ain't moving !

That's pretty, best of luck to you! My parents had 12 acres in western Pa and had the same attitude. Unfortunately they stayed there too long and when they finally decided to downsize everything was harder than it should have been and they were never really happy in a nice smaller ranch style house in town because they felt they were forced to leave rather than choosing to move. Respect to Al for having a plan ahead of time and being in control of his future.

Back