Moving to Retirement Village..

Al

My timeline is to be out of my house in 3 years. The move is 2 miles away and I will have movers. Serious downsizing.

My thought is to give stuff to friends and relatives the pick of what they want. I was looking at a chartable organization to come in and take the rest-Everything needs to be taken by them though. Any thoughts of whom to get?

Reactions: wlk
maxresdefault.jpg

I would ask your relatives if there is anything of important sentimental value that might make someone happy to keep in the family.

It's ironic that just moments ago I was discussing this topic with my brother and managing my 90 year old mom as she downsizes into her next smaller assisted living roomette.

Last edited:
Don't overestimate the demand for certain items when it comes to insisting a charity take everything your family members don't want. Not to suggest you have outdated furnishings, but things like china hutches and large dining tables tend to pile up at donation centers. Renting a small roll-off bin might be part of the downsizing process, unfortunately.

I'm friends with a woman that manages Estate Sales . It's completely hands off for the client . They will come in and organize everything , conduct the sale , donate anything that is left and leave the home broom clean . They take a percentage of the sales .

I'm sure the staff at Elizabethtown can help you with all of that. Don't forget, they take donations too. TV's Chairs, sofas, tables, are all needed to support the home. Now, I'm sure they'd rather have the cash, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They've only been doing this for 100 years or so.

if your intent is just to get rid of stuff you don't want just see if any freind ,relitives etc wants it. after that you can donate it, put it on craigslist for free etc. but in the end there will be stuff that you jsut won't be able to give away. those you will need to send to the dump.

or another option is an estate sale. let them deal with it and you may make a few bucks.

getting rid of stuff for free is usually a lot more easier than if you wanted money for them.

When mom had to go to assisted living a local auction service came and took everything. Mom had a lot of stuff and only sis and I we didn't want/need much. Hard to see but end result is an empty house and a check. Not sure if that's better than an in-house estate sale but no estate sale people nearby so didn't matter for us. I'd rather not have hundreds of people tramping through the house picking though my stuff.

My timeline is to be out of my house in 3 years. The move is 2 miles away and I will have movers. Serious downsizing.

My thought is to give stuff to friends and relatives the pick of what they want. I was looking at a chartable organization to come in and take the rest-Everything needs to be taken by them though. Any thoughts of whom to get?
I know an auction company that maybe able to help with what you have left after relatives go thru it. If you don't want to donate, let me know. My friend has a warehouse and can come, get everything and sell from the warehouse or if you prefer at your home. I live over near Lebanon and his auction Co is out of Mechanicsburg/Camphill area.

Habitat for humanity. A few places around me including Good Will are way too picky about taking items.

Offer it up to whoever and wherever. It may be there is some stuff no one will take away for you, junk luggers or one of their competitors may need to get involved to get rid of the leftovers. Good luck, been there and done that.

I'd rather not have hundreds of people tramping through the house picking though my stuff.
What does it matter at that point ? The house will be sold and everything has to go anyway . If you refer to it as " my stuff " then you must not want to get rid of it .

Good suggestions-Thanks!!
Couple Things:
1. No sale at the house. For many reasons. Nonstarter.
2. Whomever/Organization can come after the stuff has been handpicked. They MUST remove EVERYTHING.
3. Suggestion about an overflow temp storage unit is great idea. Thanks. Keep suggestions coming. I will start inquiries NOW.
4. Getting money for the stuff is not necessary and if I get someone who will take and make a payment it will go to charity.

I don't know about charity coming to get everything for you, they are not willing to accept any toy donation these days and likely won't take anything they cannot sell for revenue.

I have been getting rid of stuff lately and the best thing I have tried is Facebook Market Place. Take a photo of everything and post them as free, and you will get way more people interested than spending money at Goodwill or Salvation Army. The good thing is they will come and take it and they will be used (people tend not to drive somewhere to pick up something they don't want). Since most charity donations end up in scrap instead of people in need, I like to just post free stuff online instead.

Since I am not getting cash, I usually leave my stuff at the street corner before people arrive and tell them it is in a bag or box for them to pick up. Most of the people would get there on time, some don't and then I will give it to someone else.

Charity is not in the junk removal business, they don't like the "take everything or nothing" deal, as some of the items can be hazmat and would cost them money or liability to deal with later. If you don't want it complicate just pay a junk removal company to take everything and promise to recycle or donate as much as they can. They charge by weight or volume, even the ones they will donate later they will charge you.

I'm friends with a woman that manages Estate Sales . It's completely hands off for the client . They will come in and organize everything , conduct the sale , donate anything that is left and leave the home broom clean . They take a percentage of the sales .
This 200%

Back