Motorcraft Semi Synthetic...any good?

I ran it for about 40-50K or so in my mom's Ford Five Hundred. Not sure what it got at the Ford dealership. It was... oil. I just ran it while she was paying it off and out of habit after, so that way there they couldn't give me trouble about oil choices, it being all Motorcraft, in my paranoid thought process.

It started consuming about a quart every 1500 miles, and changing over to Supertech "conventional" 5w20 High Mileage dropped consumption down to about a quart every 2700 miles, and it's about $13-14 cheaper overall per OCI factoring in the sixth quart. I feel quite weirdly Supertech actually runs a little quieter and smoother than the Motorcraft oil, but once it gets to 3500-4000 miles I can sense a little less smoothness/ability to freely rev vs the Motorcraft (by comparison, Valvoline synthetic I ran one oil change felt almost new feeling by my ears and butt dyno at 7000 or so...)

So anyway, though I ran it a lot, I'm actually not very impressed at it. Seemed to be just average oil at a somewhat high price now, though the prices used to be lower vs other synthetics.

Back