Motorcraft semi syn 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the plunge and went and used the motortcraft 5w20 semisyn in my 07 Corolla. Can't really hear or feel any difference. Does anyone know what percentage of this oil is syn? Judging by the price it can't be much, so is it really worth the few extra bucks over the mobil 5k ?

SS

I'm sure I've read here it's something like 40-60%.

It's a great oil, but, that said, it's not necessarily better than M5K...both are going to perform pretty well the same.

I was always under the thought that most "semi synthetics" were only 10% syn.I guess with all the newer specs,they had to up that.

There are thousands of crown vics still on the road after the police run the stuffing out of them on motorcraft syn. There are pretty good reports back from the labs after 6-7000 miles too. My 4.6 motor loves the stuff. 88k miles and purs like a cat. I have switched to whats on sale too but primarily I have ran this since 04

Motorcraft oil is blended by ConocoPhillips in the US. It is a lower tier Group III from South Korea blended with Group II. CP made the determination that this was a more cost effective route to meet GF-4 specs. So thus you have a very good "synthetic blend" that performs like a very good conventional from other major brands.

motorcraft is a good oil .......when the price was good i used it now i use what i get in the drums at the shop.. I dont see a difference in any of the oils we get in the drums it is all api sn thats all that counts.. I go for the cheapest oil with the sn rating i can find and never have any problems

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I thought motorcraft was at GF-5 by now.

It is GF5/SN And the group III isn't low end. It's made by SK lubricants at a state of the art newer facility.

I do know that the motorcraft full synthetic has Product of Korea written on the back of the quart bottles.

SK lubricants has the refinery in south Korea that makes numerous base oils for COP and other companies. XOM even uses some of their products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I thought motorcraft was at GF-5 by now.

It is GF5/SN And the group III isn't low end. It's made by SK lubricants at a state of the art newer facility.

I am sorry but in general group III basestocks are not equal and SK is not supplying CP anything other than VGO based group III's for their PCMO'S, it would not be cost effective to do so. I apologize if my reference to the fact that CP made the decision to meet GF-4 specs was to buy group III basestocks and blend them for 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30 grades. You will notice to meet GF-5 more group III was used. Now lets get to the meat and potatoes, CP oils are good but despite the marketing label of synthetic blend their PCMO's perform just as well as other major labels "conventional" not superior and not inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back