Motorcraft FL-820S - HPL - Cut Open Pics - 2006 Grand Marquis

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, 4.6 V8... maintenance history uncertain (just word of mouth... see below), but generally well cared for. On 10/22/22 at 109,500 miles I changed the oil using 5 quarts of Supertech 5w-20 (20,000 mile), one quart of HPL 30 wt engine cleaner, and a Motorcraft FL-820S.

I changed the filter (only) today at approximately 7 months but only 2,500 miles (current mileage is 112,000) as I do not use the big RWD sedan much in the winter. I was curious and did not want the filter to build up too much if I was removing "chunks" from the engine... no such worries... I was pleased overall and will continue with the "old" oil and new filter up to the regulalrly scheduled 5,000 mile oil change.

I thought you might enjoy some pictures... any observations or opinions based on what you see? I was surprised how clean the pleats on the filter were... but the old guy who had the car before me claimed he only used synthetic oil and changed it every 3,000 miles whether it needed it or not...

Note the black substance on the rim of the filter to the left in the pleat picture is some kind of adhesive used in the the filter construction, and not sludge as it could appear.
IMG_7581.jpeg
IMG_7585.jpeg
IMG_7586.jpeg
IMG_7584.jpeg

Last edited:
2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, 4.6 V8... maintenance history uncertain (just word of mouth... see below), but generally well cared for. On 10/22/22 at 109,500 miles I changed the oil using 5 quarts of Supertech 5w-20 (20,000 mile), one quart of HPL 30 wt engine cleaner, and a Motorcraft FL-820S.

I changed the filter (only) today at approximately 7 months but only 2,500 miles (current mileage is 112,000) as I do not use the big RWD sedan much in the winter. I was curious and did not want the filter to build up too much if I was removing "chunks" from the engine... no such worries... I was pleased overall and will continue with the "old" oil and new filter up to the regulalrly scheduled 5,000 mile oil change.

I thought you might enjoy some pictures... any observations or opinions based on what you see? I was surprised how clean the pleats on the filter were... but the old guy who had the car before me claimed he only used synthetic oil and changed it every 3,000 miles whether it needed it or not...

Note the black substance on the rim of the filter to the left in the pleat picture is some kind of adhesive used in the the filter construction, and not sludge as it could appear.
View attachment 156815View attachment 156816View attachment 156817View attachment 156818
I’d say possibly some light carbon or dunno what but it did purge some stuff out. What oil filter did you reinstall?

Thank You and very high quality pics 😍

That's similar to all the other people's experiences using HPL oil.

One interesting experiment to do would be with your next oil change, to add 500 ML of LiquiMoly engine flush, run for 15 minutes, drain all the oil out, and then refill with new HPL oil, and see if it still leaves the carbon in your oil filter after a subsequent oil change.

One interesting experiment to do would be with your next oil change, to add 500 ML of LiquiMoly engine flush, run for 15 minutes, drain all the oil out, and then refill with new HPL oil, and see if it still leaves the carbon in your oil filter after a subsequent oil change.
It would be better to fill it with cheap dino oil and a new filter then run it 100 miles and dump it. Then start fresh with the HPL and a new filter. This way any residual flush would be drained out and anything dislodged after the fact would be in the filter. That would give the HPL a shot w/o the results possibly being skewed. Expensive but fair testing, which most people would not want to finance. JMO.

Those are nice photos. Very well lit and clear. I am running all the oil that I’ve bought on sale over the years and am looking forward to switching to HPL Lubricants. I still have about 45 gallons in my stash though..

Those are nice photos. Very well lit and clear. I am running all the oil that I’ve bought on sale over the years and am looking forward to switching to HPL Lubricants. I still have about 45 gallons in my stash though..

That is like 180 quarts of oil, how long will it take you 2 use that up?

I am not sure. I can do some oil changes for some neighbors and friends to speed up the process. I’m guessing that I will be ready for ordering oil in about 2 years. I have already tried HPL in the Toyota Pickup, Subaru Outback and Mazda Miata. My Dodge Cummins and Kubota tractor and lawnmowers will use up the remaining oil.

I too have quite a lot of oil, but I figured one quart of HPL cleaner each oil change would clean my engines as I FIFO my oil stock... for an 18 year old car I am not sure if I could justify the cost of 100% HPL oil... especially since the 4.6 in the Panther seems to run forever on cheap oil as long as it is regularly changed. If I had a car made this decade (or even last decade) it would be HPL for sure...

I would be nervous using the HPL with the 820 after all the hoopla about the tears. Especially with the way the HPL cleans and dislodges stuff.

I would be nervous using the HPL with the 820 after all the hoopla about the tears. Especially with the way the HPL cleans and dislodges stuff.
That is part of why I yanked the filter at 2,500 miles... I have never seen tears in my 820's, and the lack of debris in the filter and pleats gave me confidence to put a new 820 back on... but you are correct, it was a concern...

Back