Motor Oil Seal Conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
A high mileage oil is a slightly different tool than a full synthetic oil. That's about all there is to it, IMO.

Forget the marketing or advertising. We've seen evidence of slightly different characteristics and while Pennzoil may/may not use same amount/type of seal conditioners in their Ultra/High mileage that doesn't include the other majors out there in any way...

I don't know .....I was told PU bas the same amount of seal conditioners as their high mileage formula. Who the heck knows....

So I picked up a jug of SN PU 5w20 for the Honda today and was about to change the oil when I discovered the oil pan gasket was leaking. LOL!!!!

Unless you actually talk to a tribologist, chemist, etc who is actually involved in the formulation you're not going to get an answer that has any value.
And I agree Pennzoil has got to be the worst.
I presume you don't have the actual name and position of the person you were talking to initially?
If you do I'd be curious as to what they have to say now?

Even if these "seal conditioners" are effective for a time, is it possible that the swelling action could actually cause them to fail earlier than they would have otherwise, even if the untreated seals continued to leak.

I'm really curious about what the oil chemists would say on this.

I'd rather have a slight oil burning problem for another 100k than stop a leak for 30k and have the seals catastrophically fail at that point.

the only rating i see for added seal conditioner is for HM oil. everything else is blank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Unless you actually talk to a tribologist, chemist, etc who is actually involved in the formulation you're not going to get an answer that has any value.
And I agree Pennzoil has got to be the worst.
I presume you don't have the actual name and position of the person you were talking to initially?
If you do I'd be curious as to what they have to say now?

It used to be that Pennzoil was one of the best and Mobil was terrible now it seems both companies have done a 180. Did XOM and Shell exchange employees?

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
the only rating i see for added seal conditioner is for HM oil. everything else is blank.

They are obviously working on improving this chart. Thankfully they no longer give stars for Ferrari outside of Ultra.

The seal conditioners do actually work, the problem is once they've done their damage to the gasket or seal, you may have a leak, you may not have a leak.

Dont run seal conditioned oil is the safest rule, if you don't have a problem.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The seal conditioners do actually work, the problem is once they've done their damage to the gasket or seal, you may have a leak, you may not have a leak.

Dont run seal conditioned oil is the safest rule, if you don't have a problem.

Holy thread revival batman! This is a 2012 thread!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back