Motor craft 10w-30 vs M-1 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 ford explorer V8 that has used Mobil-1 synthetic since it had 870 miles. It has over 82k now.

I have read that the MC oils are very good and in some cases are a synthetic blend. Would I be just as safe using MC opposed to M1 for my 6k to 7k oil changes? I tried to search but have not found a good comparison.

I could do an oil analysis but recently did a seafoam treatment through the vac line. I would think that it might skew the results. Input?

I did UOA on my modified Grand Prix GTP and it showed less than average copper tin and lead so I see the added benefit of the M1.

Smiley,

The Motorcraft oil is probably OK for 6-7 K intervals but there are way too many variables to give you an answer. My suggestion is to run the oil that you have in there to a 5000 mile inetrval, change with Motorcraft 10w30, run it 5000 miles (keeping an eye on the level because the 4.6 Ford can drink oil), and then have that batch analyzed. There are plenty of people here to help you interpret the results.

Don

Thanks for the info. FYI, I have the 5.0

So how does the two motors compair on a statistical level? Will the MC give me the same energy savings or similar to the M1?

quote:

Originally posted by SMILEY:
Thanks for the info. FYI, I have the 5.0

So how does the two motors compair on a statistical level? Will the MC give me the same energy savings or similar to the M1?

That fuel economy difference between two motor oils in the same grade will be less than one half of one percent. If you're operating a big rig you might notice the difference. If you're operating a passenger car, your annual savings from one brand to another in the same grade will likely amount to less than the cost of dinner for you and your wife or girlfriend at McDonald's.
I believe that Mobil 1's philosophy on viscosity is to be at the bottom of the grade. At least in the case of the 5W20, MC's philosophy is to be closer to the high end of the grade.

Like Tom said, you ain't going to notice no monetary difference worthy of significance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I know that it really probably doesn't matter, but personally, I don't like changing out motoroil brands on my engines that have had the same brand for over 50K miles. I guess it's a ying-yang thing or whatever, but........that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back