Motomaster - Who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted my first UOA a few weeks ago in the Diesel UOA section. I drive a Dodge/Cummins. I mentioned in that post that I thought the Motomaster (Canadian Tire store brand oil) was made by Shell --> and I thought it was rebadged Rotella. I got a response saying that the additive package didn't look like shell oil. So, when I went back to the store, I cornered one of the guys at the automotive counter and asked him who made the Motomaster oil they sell. He said Shell, but he didn't sound too sure of himself. However, that is the second time I have heard that Shell makes their oil.

I buy it by the bucket (15w40 Dino - 20L) as it appears to be good oil (the bucket I bought yesterday is CI-4), it is reasonably priced, and my UOA I got back appears to be good.

I just would like to solve the mystery, and thought with the knowledge base here, someone ought to know. Somebody has to make it for them. I guess if all else fails, I could send in a VOA and let you gurus look it over...

Shell could make it...bit it is NOT the same as Rotella. BTW, if i had a dime for every wrong guess a store employee had for who makes their store brand oil....

Hammer

Just go to the Canadian Tire website. There is a link near the bottom for Material Safety Data Sheets. Click on it and enter the first 6 digits of the 7 digit number on the front of your motor oil bottle.

For eg., the 5w-30 Synthetic Blend number is 28-8705-2 … … enter 288705, and the MSDS for the product says Shell.

quote:

Originally posted by ib516:
I thought it was rebadged Rotella. I got a response saying that the additive package didn't look like shell oil.

So, when I went back to the store, I cornered one of the guys at the automotive counter and asked him who made the Motomaster oil they sell. He said Shell, but he didn't sound too sure of himself. However, that is the second time I have heard that Shell makes their oil.

1. To your first thought of it being Rebadged Rotella. You will never see Shell Rebrand Rotella it is a premium product and they will not rebrand it so people can sell it at a cheaper price. So if someone tells you its Rotella under another name you can bet they are not being honest.

2. Remember most parts counter people are there for one reason. To sell you there products. Most don't know any more about the oil than you do....

Well, one mystery is solved. It is made by SHELL (Thanks DriveBelt!). I punched in the MSDS, and it came up Shell Canada. I then tried calling Shell, and I got some dude with a really thick accent, and I couldn't understand a word he said. If they work for a "english" help line, you'd figure they should be able to speak "english". Geez. Anyway, the bits and pieces that I did understand was that the Cdn Tire oil apparently has a different additive package than the Rotella.

Either way, my UOA came back great using the Motomaster oil (posted in UOA section), and it comes in the big pails, and the Rotella doesn't, at least not at the retail level.

I called a "bulk oil" dealer here in town, and they want $50 + tax for a 20L pail of Rotella, where the Cdn Tire oil is $33 for a 20L pail. I went and bought another 20L pail of Motomaster oil from Cdn Tire.

quote:

Originally posted by Powerken:
I wonder if Shell is just saying that the add pack is different for marketing reasons. I think I will use it in my Dodge next time I buy oil.

They are not just saying...it IS different.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by Powerken:
I wonder if Shell is just saying that the add pack is different for marketing reasons. I think I will use it in my Dodge next time I buy oil.

The newest bucket of CDN tire oil I bought is CI-4. I plan to change it over fom the winter 0w40 any day now. In the UOA I posted in the section, I had people tell me the Motomaster oil is not Rotella because of what additves were in the UOA.

Either way, it seems to be good oil for the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back