Most U.S. 2019 Ford Focus will be built in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dorian
Lets just hope they revert back to a real transmission.

01.gif

What currently isn't being built, or at least have components being built in China?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe here in the USA there was a very slim profit margin on the Focus and needed to be manufactured in China ?

It's the fancy loaded trucks that Ford enjoys the big juicy profits.

Ford probably HAD TO agree to build it there, in order to sell it there, and tap that HUMONGOUS market, unlike here, where the foreign nameplates can build ANYWHERE, and still take FULL advantage of OUR market.
mad.gif

The Italians don't have such issues from my observations.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The EcoSports sold here are built in India. Neither that or the Focus are vehicles I am interested in purchasing.

Wow this is surprising! I thought it was coming from Brazil

Can’t be much money in cheap cars built in the US anymore. My 2015 Focus has a German made engine, a UK make transmission and was made in Michigan. I custom ordered it and barely paid $17k before taxes. I can’t imagine ANYONE made much money on that deal. There’s a reason the Fiesta will be gone. As good as they are, there’s no money to be made.

About to hit 50,000 miles on the Focus and it’s been perfect so far. The 1.0/6M combo is excellent. The chassis is wonderful too (eons better than the horrible Corolla rental I just had) Thinking about a 4th gen ST next time. Will have to ponder the China thing.

Last edited:
^^^I am going to guess that Ford broke even at best on my ST, whereas I cannot even begin to think of how much they make on a full loaded to the gills, F-450 Limited Dually.

IF we bought the small, GREAT Ford (hot) hatches in the numbers that the Brits and Euros did, the 8th gen Fiesta, and ST would be coming here.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: E365
Can’t be much money in cheap cars built in the US anymore. My 2015 Focus has a German made engine, a UK make transmission and was made in Michigan.

Wow. I can't imagine how they make money shipping the heaviest parts of a car (engine and transmission) 1/2 way around the world rather than make them down the block. Especially in the UK and Germany. I'd imagine their wages are similar to ours.

^^^I am going to guess that Ford broke even at best on my ST, whereas I cannot even begin to think of how much they make on a full loaded to the gills, F-450 Limited Dually.

IF we bought the small, GREAT Ford (hot) hatches in the numbers that the Brits and Euros did, the 8th gen Fiesta, and ST would be coming here.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I’d buy an 8th gen Fiesta ST in a heartbeat to replace my MINI Cooper S for my “fun car”. Guess we’re in the vast minority....

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So cars will be built in China and shipped to US from across the globe and nobody screams bloody murder from the environmental perspective? Gee, how many millions of people do these huge cargo ships kill with their pollution?

Cargo ships are about the most efficient IC engines out there. That said, it is true that making that pollution is more than something made here. Sometimes stuff isnt made here that is made elsewhere, and it is what it is. But for a pedestrian econobox? No thanks. Pretty sure there's a bunch of others that can be found, that are made here.

Add on top of that, the fact that it is made in China to take advantage of peoples' low-price labor and dumping of production in the USA at the cost of American labor, just so prospective buyers can save a buck, and the shareholders can have a marginally better quarter.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So cars will be built in China and shipped to US from across the globe and nobody screams bloody murder from the environmental perspective? Gee, how many millions of people do these huge cargo ships kill with their pollution?

Cargo ships are about the most efficient IC engines out there. That said, it is true that making that pollution is more than something made here. Sometimes stuff isnt made here that is made elsewhere, and it is what it is. But for a pedestrian econobox? No thanks. Pretty sure there's a bunch of others that can be found, that are made here.

Add on top of that, the fact that it is made in China to take advantage of peoples' low-price labor and dumping of production in the USA at the cost of American labor, just so prospective buyers can save a buck, and the shareholders can have a marginally better quarter.

Yes, they are efficient, but I don't believe they have much in the way of pollution controls and their sheer size means they are burning obscene amounts of bunker fuel, which is also filthy.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Of total global air emissions, shipping accounts for 18 to 30 percent of the nitrogen oxide and 9 percent of the sulphur oxides.

Quote:
According to Irene Blooming, a spokeswoman for the European environmental coalition Seas at Risk, the fuel used in oil tankers and container ships is high in sulfur and cheaper to buy compared to the fuel used for domestic land use. "A ship lets out around 50 times more sulfur than a lorry per metric tonne of cargo carried."

Quote:
Ships can also have a significant impact in areas without large commercial ports: they contribute about 37 percent of total area nitrogen oxide emissions in the Santa Barbara area, and that percentage is expected to increase to 61 percent by 2015.

It also indicates that 3.5-4% of all GHG emissions come from cargo ships. A report from the UN claims 4.5%.

This is something that globalization only makes worse unfortunately
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Transit Connects used to be built in Turkey. Not sure if they still are.

They are now made in Spain. Also, they have to pay the 25% tariff and probably lose money on them. Ford got caught cheating a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: E365

frown.gif
mad.gif

I’d buy an 8th gen Fiesta ST in a heartbeat to replace my MINI Cooper S for my “fun car”. Guess we’re in the vast minority....

Most in this land have convinced themselves that they cannot survive (even IF they CAN) without driving a TANK.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back