Most Reliable Cars of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
I'd take a Miata RF Club with the Brembo/BBS Recaro package, but nothing else on the list interests me in the slightest.

Agreed. Except for the Miata, nothing that would raise the pulse on a car lover type of person. And at 6'3", I don't fit too well in a Miata. So I guess I'll pass.

Originally Posted by GZRider
A Lexus GS and the Mazda Miata are just appliance cars? You either have some really nice AMG's, S2000's and M cars that have spoiled you or big mouth and no time behind the wheel of either of those.

The GS is another Lexus couch with an ugly grille, same as the rest.

The Miata is great if that's your thing. I prefer my sports cars to be fast.

Meanwhile, we have four vehicles that strangers who have likely never even sat in one, regularly tell me are ticking time bombs. Oh, and one vehicle that's on this list. We like them all...

I will take a boring rock solid Toyota any day over a wallet buster anyday. there are enough problems in life with out having to add an unreliable auto to the mix. you can have your look at me auto. I will continue to own and drive Toyotas.

How many of you guys have actually driven any of the 4th gen GS350 Fsports? It's at least the match of any Volvo S80 or Infiniti Q70 or MB E Class (excluding the AMG version at almost 2x the price of course) which are more what Lexus was competing with and far more reliable then any of them. Acura doesn't even have a RWD chassis. What I'm hearing is the GS350 isn't a BMW 5 series or Audi6 and those drive better. I understand that both have superb handling, and more fun engines then the GS. If money and dealer visits are no object they are "better" driving cars. For most of us, money is very very much an object.

Not much exciting there, but hey, different strokes as they say....

That said, I am considering the 4 runner in the next year or two as a DD, replacing the Range Rover. I still like them, but I am nearing the 'been there, done that' point and unless they continue to offer a diesel, I'll probably look elsewhere and folks I know who have the 4 Runner are very happy with them.

I love our GS350 F Sport. This is a really good car.
The tires are expensive... Mileage is all sucky.
You can also see my trusty Tundra, the RX and Model 3.

gs350.jpg

gs350 back.jpg

Last edited:
Very sharp car! I generally respect your opinion on vehicles as you own a nice assortment of well built ones across several generations and manufactures. Well Tesla pickups aside.

Very sharp car! I generally respect your opinion on vehicles as you own a nice assortment of well built ones across several generations and manufactures. Well Tesla pickups aside.

Thanks for the kind words. I am so done buying cars...
Unless a '67 GTO magically pops up... Stop!

Last edited:
How many of you guys have actually driven any of the 4th gen GS350 Fsports? It's at least the match of any Volvo S80 or Infiniti Q70 or MB E Class (excluding the AMG version at almost 2x the price of course) which are more what Lexus was competing with and far more reliable then any of them. Acura doesn't even have a RWD chassis. What I'm hearing is the GS350 isn't a BMW 5 series or Audi6 and those drive better. I understand that both have superb handling, and more fun engines then the GS. If money and dealer visits are no object they are "better" driving cars. For most of us, money is very very much an object.

A Lexus GS and the Mazda Miata are just appliance cars? You either have some really nice AMG's, S2000's and M cars that have spoiled you or big mouth and no time behind the wheel of either of those.

Mazda Miata is not. GS is better looking GE microwave.

Don't know of any at the moment, but if you have the means and the storage and come across a real 67 GTO in good condition you should go for it. The tripower 400 GTO is about as safe of an investment car as a 63 split window Vette.

As opposed to the malfunctioning Bosch refrigerators on wheels you so prefer? Drive what you like, I'll do the same. A 13-14 GS 350, a 5 series or A6 all sell for $18-22k with 45-55k miles, but the GS350 still has 75% of useful reasonably trouble free life remaining,whereas an A6 or 5 series has less then 40% at best. It is also significantly cheaper to repair and maintain then the Germans and still have resale value with 150,000+ miles. So you call it an appliance, I call it a financially savy vehicle decision based on industry sales experience. But people like you do keep the auto and finance industries rolling along, and the American economy depends on that.

For allegedly being so "durable", where did all these 15-20 year old Toyotas go?! They're incredibly rare here in a Minnesota. They've all rusted-out and broken down just like everything else.

As for Consumer Reports, I believe they called the Kia Niro (or Hyundai Ioniq, I forget) the most reliable car you could buy a couple years ago.

Problem is, when the edition making that claim was sent out, the OLDEST Niro in the country was 6 months old. And they probably started collecting data for months before that. Complete non-sense in my opinion.

Originally Posted by E365
Complete non-sense in my opinion.

Absolutely not, but you have to start thinking from a totally different perspective. Automotive industry is an extremely well orchestrated money making machine. And this includes all aspects that touch this industry at a professional level, including the so called journalists, reviewers, influencers and even professionals that infiltrate forums.

Once you start thinking that this is all part of one, huge organism, it all start making sense.

Stuff like this article is designed to generate clicks, controversy, creating camps.

Devide and conquer, it does not only apply to war and politics.

Last edited:
As opposed to the malfunctioning Bosch refrigerators on wheels you so prefer? Drive what you like, I'll do the same. A 13-14 GS 350, a 5 series or A6 all sell for $18-22k with 45-55k miles, but the GS350 still has 75% of useful reasonably trouble free life remaining,whereas an A6 or 5 series has less then 40% at best. It is also significantly cheaper to repair and maintain then the Germans and still have resale value with 150,000+ miles. So you call it an appliance, I call it a financially savy vehicle decision based on industry sales experience. But people like you do keep the auto and finance industries rolling along, and the American economy depends on that.

All things on a side (like confirming that GS350 is appliance) but how did you come up with those calculations?
So I had one BMW E61 525d with 478k, and E34 520i with some 430k before selling them. So, how they fit into your calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back