Mosin Nagant Rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a pair of M44's in the gun shop yesterday, was tempted but I think I want a 91/30. Not crazy about recoil, that's me. But try finding anything at the moment... Anyhow, I think one was actually an M38, as it appeared to never have had a bayonet; and was marked 1943 at that.

This shop usually has decent prices. But both of these M44's were marked at $299. I passed.

Are the days of sub-$150 91/30's over with? I'm kicking myself for passing up on a different shop's $119, with all accessories, 91/30's. They had one a week or two ago for $135, sans accessories. I'm sure some of it'll be back in a few months, once the big rush is over with; but I'm curious if it'll come back down in price or not.

Originally Posted By: supton

This shop usually has decent prices. But both of these M44's were marked at $299. I passed.

Are the days of sub-$150 91/30's over with?

They are marked $299 because somebody will (in a gun-shortage panic) buy them for that price and the sellers know it. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but they will sell. Why are the ammo prices at CTD so high? Because somebody is buying it for that.

I'm betting the sub-$150 Mosin prices are over.

$299 is an absolute rip-off. It sounds to me like they subscribe to the P.T. Barnum school of business.

Originally Posted By: OB4x4
$299 is an absolute rip-off. It sounds to me like they subscribe to the P.T. Barnum school of business.

Sucker born every minute.

They're reasonably priced on everything else. Maybe it was a typo. M44's do go for more than 91/30's, last I knew of. I don't think by that much, though. Certainly not worth it to me.

I have to wonder if the the supply of rifles and surplus ammo has dried up yet. Seems like they sold crates and crates already.

I have a fully restored M44, with the laminated stock. I took way too much time, and made it into a really nice, clean and perfect looking M44. Probably a bunch better than they looked new.

It shoots horribly, with barrel heating causing massive inaccuracy. Bayonet in or out, it's not a shooter.

At 50 yards, my first shot will be somewhere on the paper. After that, it's so inaccurate, I've been unable to determine where it's shooting.

M44's have been steadily creeping up in price over the last couple years.

AIM Surplus received a nice shipment recently and they sold FAST priced from $180 to $250, depending on year and arsenal.

I think somewhere between $130-$150 will probably be the new bottom line M91/30 price. The rest of the World knows how crazy the buying is over here right now so I'm sure they will want a piece of the $$$ with the next batch.

This is what you need...
smile.gif
These are great rifles and the price is right. Where else can you get a genuine WWII sniper rifle for under $1000!
http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/m91-30-w-scope-and-mount

91-30 all the way. Avoid the Chinese ones. I have 2, the first costing me $99, the second, bought 3 weeks ago, was $119. Sub $150's are still around.

Holy cow. About ten years ago you could buy either the 91/30, the M44, or the M38 3/$100.

I picked up 3 of each for a total of 9. $300

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Holy cow. About ten years ago you could buy either the 91/30, the M44, or the M38 3/$100.

I picked up 3 of each for a total of 9. $300

Yeah, but what would you sell them for now? I bet just a bit more... Well, at least for the next month or two. After that, maybe not so much.

M38 rifles haven't been available in any quantity for years. The M44s are starting to dry up, too. Next will be the 91/30s.

They haven't been made in almost 70 years, and there is a finite supply.

There are some Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, ect made Mosins running around also. The Polish ones are very nice. My 91/30 is from early 42 when the USSR was still in full panic mode. Horrible fit and finish versus my friends post war M44.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There are some Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, ect made Mosins running around also. The Polish ones are very nice. My 91/30 is from early 42 when the USSR was still in full panic mode. Horrible fit and finish versus my friends post war M44.

Yep, I have a Polish one and it is very nicely put together and shoots much better than I thought it would.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
M38 rifles haven't been available in any quantity for years. The M44s are starting to dry up, too. Next will be the 91/30s.

They haven't been made in almost 70 years, and there is a finite supply.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/RussianSovietMosinNagantNumbers.asp

Thanks for the link!

So I guess if those numbers are correct, the M91/30s will likely dry up before the M44s.

Looks like there were about 5x as many M91/30s produced as M38s and about 30x more M44s than M38s! That's a LOT of M44 rifles.

I'll buy a couple more 91/30s. One for each day of the week
smile.gif

Went to Cabel's today. Talk about an ammo desert. Only 10 boxes of 7.62x54r.

Tons of boxes of the 7.62x39 though. Herters, but my AK and SKS like them.

Check this link out too. http://7.62x54r.net/

Last edited:
Aside from the Kalashnikov rifle the Mauser 98 is the most produced military rifle in the history of the world. If Mosin's keep creeping up Id seriously take a look at a Yugo m24/47

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yugo m24/47
ammo costs 5x as much for those though. Mauser ammo is EXPENSIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back